Old 23 June 2009, 05:12   #1

Town: Clayton
Length: 3m +
Looking for advice

I'm looking for some advice on an inflatable boat that I can use for fishing and runabout use. I need something that is fairly portable so I can throw it in a pickup truck and tow a travel trailer. I was car topping a 14 foot Klamath but it got to be a hassle. Most of the time it will be used for lake use and will carry 1 or 2 adults and a large dog. I would prefer hypalon and I need a boat that will troll good as well as plane. I'm getting older and I'm thinking the largest 4 stroke I would be willing to handle is the 9.8 Tohatsu at 81.5 lbs. I would love a 2 stroke but many of the lakes I fish won't allow them(Welcome to California). Here are my questions:
1. The Achilles 10 foot boat with the roll up aluminum floor looks good but will it plane with the 9.8 and is this type of floor stable or not? Anyone have one?
2. Would a 10 foot folding RIB be a better choice for my use?
3. How are the boats with the high pressure air floors with dogs?
4. If I decided to go with one of the lighter single cylinder 4 strokes in the 6hp range, would it plane a boat in the 10 foot range and how well do they troll(vibration)?
5. Would I be better off with a wood floor for my uses?

The plan would be to show up to the shorline, set up the boat and motor with one person and hit the water. I also plan on pulling the boat partially on shore for the night so I'm not sure which bottom can handle that. I would appreciate any input from you guys on what you think? Thanks!
Old 23 June 2009, 13:20   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A wooden floor is lighter than an aluminium one. An air floor is easier to assemble but won't be as tough although I am sure a dog won't puncture it.

Get some proper inflatable swing up launching wheels like these. They make life so much easier.

I would still try to leave the boat inflated and use it on top of the car - much easier and not too heavy for one person if the car is quite low. In a pickup maybe you could fit it in the bed with a bit hanging over?

I have seen people mount a bracket on the back of a ruck to carry the outboard - would make things a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10529909_2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	43491  
Old 28 June 2009, 02:00   #3

Town: Clayton
Is this a good deal?

I found a Distributor selling a 2007 Achilles SPD-104, brand new, in the box for $1100. Is this a good boat and a fair price? Thanks!
Old 29 June 2009, 15:27   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Sounds like a decent price to me.

My 2001 SG-140 ran about $2800, as I recall; motor was another $3K or so.

jky