Old 22 October 2021, 14:33   #1

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Long term SIB storage in a box trailer

As title - any reason why not? One thing that is still a bit of a pain with my boat is the getting it to/from the car/shed at the back of the house. Not only is it a chore, but the boat takes up a lot of room in the shed. Another issue is that boat + bits and pieces takes up the full boot and rear seats of our Ford cmax.
A solution to all of the above might be to get a small box trailer. Not only would it free up room in the car when travelling with the family, but it would, or could, also mean that I don't need to cart the boat around the back of the house. I was thinking of just storing it inside the box trailer on the front drive long term. Any reason why this might be a bad idea?
Old 22 October 2021, 14:47   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Providing the box trailer is water tight and rodent proof, I can't see any problem. Obviously everything would need to be clean and very dry before it goes into the trailer.
Maybe the only issue would be condensation, but you could use a small crystal dehumidifier.
Old 22 October 2021, 14:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Providing the box trailer is water tight and rodent proof, I can't see any problem. Obviously everything would need to be clean and very dry before it goes into the trailer.
Maybe the only issue would be condensation, but you could use a small crystal dehumidifier.
I haven't got the trailer yet (or even the towbar), but I imagine it will be an open type with a tarp over the top, which should give some reasonable ventilation whilst remaining (mostly) watertight? Another issue might be heat, with the sun (LOL) beating down on a dark tarp, but I don't know how much of a problem that would be?
Rodents are worrying me now having read a few posts about it on here - not sure how safe the shed is in that department either!
Old 22 October 2021, 15:05   #4

I think a tarp covered trailer would produce a lot of condensation especially if it's sat in the sun, and would security pose a problem?
I know Pikey Dave uses a full trailer to transport his Volaire, not sure if he stores the Volaire in it all the time though.
Old 22 October 2021, 15:09   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I think a tarp covered trailer would produce a lot of condensation especially if it's sat in the sun, and would security pose a problem?
I know Pikey Dave uses a full trailer to transport his Volaire, not sure if he stores the Volaire in it all the time though.

Yup, Piglet lives in the trailer all year round. Hitch up & go.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 16:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yup, Piglet lives in the trailer all year round. Hitch up & go.
No issues with heat or wet then? I think I am going to do likewise - should make life just a little easier.
Old 22 October 2021, 16:27   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattster View Post
No issues with heat or wet then? I think I am going to do likewise - should make life just a little easier.

No issues at all, and it’s vermin proof.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 22 October 2021, 16:45   #8

Matt, I think you should take a look at PD's build thread. We're not just talking about any old box trailer
Old 22 October 2021, 16:53   #9

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
I’ve had mine in a small wood shed. Where I live moisture is not a problem but heat is my worry. I expect the glued seams can degrade with long exposure to heat. Perhaps I’m wrong but I installed a cheap solar vent and I sprinkle rodent repellent on the floor. It’s a strong long lasting chili powder that really last.
The solar vent is 3 years old. It has a 10 year warranty.
Old 22 October 2021, 16:55   #10

Quote:
Matt, I think you should take a look at PD's build thread. We're not just talking about any old box trailer
I'm searching like crazy but struggling to find the thread - any chance of a link?
Old 22 October 2021, 17:02   #11

RIBase
Quote:
I'm searching like crazy but struggling to find the thread - any chance of a link?

Excel Volaire 390 build thread
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/excel-volaire-390-build-thread-82696.html
Old 22 October 2021, 17:12   #12

Quote:
Thanks Dave, very swish. I have been musing over the box trailer idea for a few weeks/months now, and funnily enough I also thought of the idea of a rolling/sliding floor for the boat, so can basically be tipped/rolled onto it, and then lifted at one end and pushed into the trailer. I was thinking that at it's simplest it could just be a plywood panel cut to fit (maybe a handle on the near end), but that might have too much friction on the slide. I'd be interested to know how you set your rollers up, and how you have found it in practice?
Old 22 October 2021, 18:00   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks Dave, very swish. I have been musing over the box trailer idea for a few weeks/months now, and funnily enough I also thought of the idea of a rolling/sliding floor for the boat, so can basically be tipped/rolled onto it, and then lifted at one end and pushed into the trailer. I was thinking that at it's simplest it could just be a plywood panel cut to fit (maybe a handle on the near end), but that might have too much friction on the slide. I'd be interested to know how you set your rollers up, and how you have found it in practice?

I used something similar to these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conveyor-...-127635-2958-0

I made a subframe from 18mm buffalo board to carry the rollers. The top board which forms the floor has 3 grooves routed underneath to act as guides. It rolls very easily, I’ve had to put locking pins in it so it doesn’t launch itself if we’re parked on a slope when we open the back door.
If you look at the photos on my build thread, you can get an idea of how it works.
Old 22 October 2021, 18:06   #14

Town: oban
Boat name: The Liability
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard
I would not recommend a tarpaulin top , rodents and condensation WILL be an issue . Go for solid glass fibre box type.
Old 22 October 2021, 18:13   #15

Quote:
I used something similar to these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conveyor-...-127635-2958-0

I made a subframe from 18mm buffalo board to carry the rollers. The top board which forms the floor has 3 grooves routed underneath to act as guides. It rolls very easily, I’ve had to put locking pins in it so it doesn’t launch itself if we’re parked on a slope when we open the back door.
If you look at the photos on my build thread, you can get an idea of how it works.
Great, thanks - that makes sense now - I wondered what the bolt type things were when I looked at your pics before. Do you have any sort of hinge arrangement or just sort of let it flop out?
You got me onto conveyor bearings on ebay now - these look rather good as well, apparently support 150kg per track so plenty strong: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224586905...4AAOSwZlhe6ilm
Old 22 October 2021, 19:20   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Great, thanks - that makes sense now - I wondered what the bolt type things were when I looked at your pics before. Do you have any sort of hinge arrangement or just sort of let it flop out?

You got me onto conveyor bearings on ebay now - these look rather good as well, apparently support 150kg per track so plenty strong: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224586905...4AAOSwZlhe6ilm

I don’t have a hinge, but I do have a stop block underneath that stops the floor from coming out too far & dropping out of the trailer.
Old 27 October 2021, 17:25   #17

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
My Excel Volante 390 has been in my Anssems trailer for 6 month and will be over the winter. hope to use it if there is a gap in the weather.

highly recommend the Anssems trailers, well built and good resell value.
Old 02 December 2021, 20:49   #18

I have a Brenderup hard top trailer that I use in summer for all the camping kit. This winter I've put the tent and the boat inside it as we're surrounded by farmland and are inundated by mice. I do leave the trailer in the barn so it is not open to all the elements but if it were outside it does remain completely dry. Summer heat wouldn't be ideal but if it can be in the shade then I don't see any great issue.

Tags
sib