Old 03 October 2020, 12:34   #1

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Loch Linnee or Loch Duich

I know it's early but I think staycations will be the norm for the few years so I'm organising holidays for next year before everywhere gets booked.
Mid May, 12 days on the West Coast of Scotland at either Morvich on Loch Duich or Bunree/Onich on Loch Linnee.
I'm familiar with the area around Bunree as I've spent a lot of time there walking/climbing/kayaking and it has the added advantage that I can launch directly from the site.
However, I also fancy Morvich as its an area I've never been to and there looks like there is some really good walking/climbing there. But, I can't find a spot where I could easily launch and if the weather is inclement it looks more exposed to the sea than the top end of Loch Linnee. So I'd be grateful for any info about Loch Duich and surrounding area.
Old 03 October 2020, 13:17   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Loch Duich has plenty of places to launch from and is a fantastic area to explore .. this video will give you a feel for the area. I launched on the wee slip at the Hotel near Morvich

A short drive over the Mam Ratagan pass will also bring you Arnisdale and lovely Loch Hourn as shown in this video

You are also not far from Skye where there are plenty day trips for SIBS.

Loch Linnie is ok too ..but in my opinion cant compare with the North west.. but it depends on what you want .. as Loch Linnie is popular too.

Why not go to both then decide which you like the best .. both areas are great for SIBS
Old 03 October 2020, 14:05   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Going back a few years we spent a week on Duich in a cottage above Inverinate part way along the loch. We launched daily at the stone slipway near Dornie bridge by the village hall... not too far for us but a bit further from the end of the loch you're considering. On our boat travels to the Morvich end we noted the place to pull out/put in that Donny mentions near the hotel and there seemed to be plenty of casual parking there.

As Donny says easy access to launch on Skye... Broadford slip is a handy one and not too far to travel from the bridge. We also visited Plockton nearby and launched/lunched there.

We found Duich very sheltered... Loch Alsh almost the same... as long as you avoided being drawn south into the Kyle Rhea narrows at a time of high flow. It really only felt like moving towards open sea when west of Kyle of Lochalsh heading for the Skye bridge.... and once on the way heading to Skye from Plockton.

Pics of...

Broadford slip (with red fishing boat)

Our Zodiac of the time on Plockton pontoon with slip behind.

Dornie stone slipway and castle pano.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broadford.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	135318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plockton.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	135319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dornie slipway.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	135320  
Old 03 October 2020, 19:53   #4

Thanks for the info, pics and videos. Morvich Caravan Club site booked for mid May. Really looking forward to exploring on the SIB, I may even buy a fishing rod!
Old 03 October 2020, 23:06   #5

Hi Donny, had a great evening watching some of your brilliant videos, absolutely superb. Got to be honest they got even better after the Cardhu was poured
Are you using a Gopro (or similar) on a gimbal?
Old 04 October 2020, 07:20   #6

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Donny uses a GoPro hero 5 with a Gimbal I think he may have replaced this with the hero 7 but could be wrong HH
Old 04 October 2020, 09:59   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> Morvich Caravan Club site booked for mid May.

I think you'll really like it up there. I remember the lovely last few miles drive of the A87 as the views open out from the east end of Loch Cluanie as you get near Morvich.

Fuel station... not too far from the camp site... at Inverinate on the road to Kyle... with a useful essentials shop stock too. They were happy to fill boat tanks and cans with whatever you wanted.

Main shopping a nice run to the Co-op at Kyle with one of the best supermarket car park views ever.

Do try and get up for a launch at Plockton... it might be too picture postcard for you but great to have a poke about Loch Carron..

We are just touristy walkers/wanderers but Donny will know all the proper hill stuff.
Old 04 October 2020, 11:36   #8

Hi David, picture postcard is good, if its time spent outside, Diane and I love it all.
Planned 5 days out on Redneck based upon Donny's videos and your recommendation of Plockton/Loch Carron and Skye. Three days in the mountains, maybe 4 if I can persuade Diane to do the Forcan Ridge, and I think a few days of doing not a lot
It's going to be a long winter waiting!
Old 04 October 2020, 14:39   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
You might even miss the midge season as they tend to arrive mid to late May. When I say midge I mean the flying insect variety and not the collective noun that I've adopted for the hordes of cyclists that frequent everywhere apart from the miles and miles of dedicated cycle paths.
Old 04 October 2020, 19:32   #10

Tut, tut!! Do you have a problem with the cycling masses who decide to ride in a group of 30 or 40 five abreast.

This was sent to me by a mate of mine in Breacon:-

A polite-ish notice to all cyclists on country roads during harvest.

Please understand I have zero issues with you using the roads to ride your bicycle, I’m all for exercising and if slipping in to a lycra suit and impaling your self on a dick shaped bike seat for hours keeps you satisfied then each to their own. If I’m driving a car I always give plenty of ‘safe space’ when passing cyclists which is only fair, we know how sensitive you are to your requested road space, you have just as much right to the roads as anyone....

HOWEVER, if I’m coming at you in a f------g great tractor with 20 tons behind me on a single track road, do me and yourself a favour and STOP for one second, either move as far over to your side of the road or just step on to the verge if there is one, so I can pass safely, do not just continue at full speed and then piss and moan as you go past because if it goes wrong you’ll end up being pressure washed off a tractor wheel. Unfortunately for you we take all your space and we can’t help it, so unless you want to lend a hand either changing a tyre that’s blown out or shovelling up a spillage, then we’re not dropping our wheels into drainage grips so that you can continue your bicycle ride. Cars, horse riders and runners are capable of it, I seem to be missing something with cyclists, I presume either you don’t want to get your special bike dirty, you’re trying to beat your PB or more than likely you’re just a complete cock in general.

Regards your Road Safety Advocate for the 3 shires ��

« Maps | Top | Frib 460 ? »