Old 06 May 2020, 20:53   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
Locations

What locations can you legally take a SIB.

I have done some searching on the internet and not found much of use.

On tidal waters, there seems to be very few public launch spots. Since a SIB is so small do you have to use official launch spots or can you launch anywhere. If I went on some random sandy beach would it be illegal to launch the boat.

On inland waters, are they all covered by inland waterways? There are quite a few reservoirs and lakes in Kent. Are there any where you don't have to pay a fee to use them?
Old 06 May 2020, 21:04   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
It’s a grey area and a good question. Speaking for England specifically: Most reservoirs and small lakes are out for starters as they are private or company or local authority owned. At public beaches as most are ‘public’ then it’s much easier and generally access is freely available but obviously stay away from very busy areas with bathers. Again rivers - many are private or administered so you need permission or a license.

We’re supposedly a seafaring nation but the truth is not much is done to help people access the water, generally quite the opposite.
Old 07 May 2020, 02:38   #3

Town: Hilton Head Island
Anywhere - Freedom

Just kiddin' lol I know this doesn't really help ya but to my understanding here in the states you can launch anywhere that is not private property or public swimming areas like crowded beaches etc. You don't even need a boating license or anything of the like either for most size boats, I hear it can be kind of a shit show..
I am curious what the laws in different places are.

Good luck! cheers!

Old 07 May 2020, 05:38   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
In the UK:
Reservoirs (artificial lakes) are of course owned. In most cases, there is very limited access if any for boats, and even less access for powered craft. A google search, "Boating on [name of lake]" will usually find your answer.
Canals, also artificial waterways, are managed. You can buy a day ticket, or a week, month, or year. Again, a Google search will help for the specific waters.
Rivers break down into "navigations" (where boat traffic is expected) and others. With "navigations" there is usually a licence/ticket scheme. With others, it's what you can get away with.
The coast is a mish mash of local rules. For example, for a large part of the North Wales coast, including Anglesey, you need to license your boat and show proof of insurance to launch across the beach.
Slipways are either public (free to use) or owned (in which case there may be a charge).

So, you need to consider:
The launch spot itself (free or fee?)
The water: licence or no licence?

Regardless of the local rules, it's sensible to have insurance.

A good place to find out about slipways is boatlaunch.co.uk which gives basic details for licence requirements in each launch area.

Another good place to look is Canal and River Trust although they only manage some of the waterways.

There is a separate authority managing boating on the Norfolk Broads.

In the Lake District, you need to licence and pay for boating on Windermere, but access to many of the other lakes is unregulated — although you may need to pay if you use a slipway.

In many cases, a person using a small and unobtrusive boat, sensibly, discreetly, and not using locks, will not be asked to produce evidence that they have licensed the boat. I have only ever been asked once, which is when I was going through a manned lock.

If the water is owned and maintained by someone, then it is reasonable that there should be a charge. For example, it is only possible to boat safely on my local river, the Trent, because the level and flow are carefully controlled with a series of weirs and sluices. My local launch spot is a gated concrete slip with a car park at the top. Those facilities have to be paid for somehow.

Another reason for licensing is so they can make basic checks (self reported) on boat safety and insurance, and another is so that they have grounds to stop you, fine you, or even confiscate your boat, if you misbehave. We may be sensible boaters, but they need to allow for the worst kind of drunken yahoo who has a PWC or cheap speedboat and thinks it's funny to buzz other water users.
Old 07 May 2020, 18:17   #5

Town: Hilton Head Island
Interesting! I mean here you do have to register and pay taxes on the boat and motor but those are about the only fees that I know of which I suppose help go to maintain public boat launches.