Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 08 June 2022, 06:48   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Lightweight aluminium hull RIB discussion - as a SIB alternative?

I've popped this in the SIB section as hopefully it may be more relevant to SIB owners looking to have your cake and eat it.

I've looked at these for a few years but lately there does seem to be more choice and the weights are getting not far off air floor SIBs.

If anyone has experience of one of the various 3.4 to 3.8m alu hulled small RIBs - Quicksilver, Highfield etc can you share some thoughts and pictures - comments on the hull design, how much deadrise/deep V compared to say a SR4 RIB or Aerotec SIB - how it performs in chop and headseas etc - speed with say a 25.
Old 08 June 2022, 12:54   #2

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
I can't compare to another Rib as this is my first but I have a 3.6 Zodiac 'Cadet 360 Rib Alu Light' which I'm enjoying a great deal. Turns tight and responsive, especially coming from a 435 Sib.

The V is not great to stand and sit on but the performance is well worth the trade off. Also as 50kg I think it's one of the lightest boats for this size/type.

I have a 20hp Merc on it and solo it goes like the clappers -I'm going to invest in a tiller extension so I can get further forward but it feels pretty steady on my own. Not a great deal of experience in chop as yet - not had it out as much as I'd like!

See the spec below - the boat pictured in the brochure is the smallest in the range I think - not a 360! I've attached a couple of other pics.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 13.51.18.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	140837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	140838  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ficheProduit-Cadet 360 RIB Alu Light.pdf (357.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 08 June 2022, 13:17   #3

Thanks Tonus, some of these are so light.

I've been doing a bit more digging this morning and it does look very similar to the Highfield Ultralight although they list that as a 340 max length:

https://www.highfieldboats.com/wp-co..._Ultralite.pdf

Guessing the old French Zodiac is name only now and these are all coming out of China?

The Classic 360 is the closest I can find to my Aerotec in sizing with a useful couple more inches in beam in/out and 7" more internal length for a bit less overall length - blunt cones... It's a superb piece of neat packaging though and seems to be the sweet spot in the range in sizing - still listed as only 75kg.

https://www.highfieldboats.com/wp-co...21_Classic.pdf

Hull V is slightly less deep than ideal on all these though at 15 deg vs the BAT at 20 deg and a SR4 at (not sure?) maybe 20 - 25 deg?
Old 08 June 2022, 19:26   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Lightweight aluminium hull RIB discussion - as a SIB alternative?

Not sure how much I can contribute to this as our tiny Mercury Ocean Runner 340 (Quicksilver) rib has a glass hull and weighs in bare at 89 kilos. Not alumin sorry, and only powered by a 20 efi Mariner on tiller. It has a decent ‘V’ (shallow), wide beam for its length, and perhaps very marginally slightly more ‘V’ (particularly forward) than the current crop of alumin hulls…not by much though. Reckon performance and handling should be similar length for length.

Coming from plenty of experience with medium size sibs…far too numerous Zodiacs circa 3.5/3.6 to mention (all pretty good tbh), Aerotec 3.8 (deffo the dogz bollx), F-Rib 375 (fast but ouch!), Honwave T38 (impressive on a good day), Aqua Marina 295 (tried hard, had fun but ultimately failed for us) and currently running an Elling KB 350 (love that tunnel hull ride). All powered with 20 horse motors except the Elling which is perfect with a lightweight 9.8 smoker and the Aqua Marina which became lethal at anything over 8hp.

First off non of these lightweight ribs is going to compare with the legendary SR4…no way. They just haven’t got anywhere near the ‘V’ or hull shape/weight to compete.

Not sure how you can compare ribs with sibs anyways. In my book a rib of comparable length should and will outperform any sib per se. It will be faster, track and turn better/tighter so if you can trailer/launch/store a small rib why on earth bother with a sib….sibs on trailers, hey I’ve done it, but wtf!

On the downside all these lightweight small ribs give a bone jarringly harsh ride in typical UK conditions/chop and practically we could push on harder, further and faster in most sibs we’ve run.

The little ribs are more efficient though, with negligible hull flex worth a knot or two over the sibs. Under perfect conditions our current Ocean Runner 340 will max out at 23/24 knots, compared to 22 knots in the T38/Zodiacs and 21 knots in the Aerotec….all one up plus kit with 20 horses.

Overall our little rib, despite loosing between 200 to 400mm in length, generally outperforms all our previous and current sibs. It doesn’t possess any greater sea keeping qualities but is faster, tracks and banks in turns better, is definitely more responsive and huge fun, but has a harsher ride which ultimately slows it down over many sibs in choppy conditions.

Personally, size for size, if you don’t need a folding boat, I reckon one of the lightweight ribs would be the way to go. [emoji106]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2365.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	140840
Old 08 June 2022, 21:58   #5

Hi Chipko, thanks very much for all that. You’ve got a lot of experience and your input is welcome. I think I’m guilty like many of the regulars on here of trying all the options down the years and coming to the best compromise we can, often the Aerotec but still wanting more for whatever reason. I’m blaming a week on the Dart last week, it’s totally shown me how much I’ve missed boating this last year or two but also shown me a lot of very nice boats I’d like to own!
Old 09 June 2022, 17:53   #6

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Hi I had the highfield 380 with the Yamaha 25 four stroke very nice little outfit could get 22 knots flat out with all my camping gear and very fuel efficient as well the gurnard has the 420 with the 25 Yamaha as well and he is chuffed to bits with it it could take a 40hp and move a bit quicker but you would be better with a rib at that point good luck it’s your purchase when you decide all the best HH

Tags
rib, sib