Old 24 September 2015, 21:33   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Lifting a 25hp

Not really sure whether to post this here or in the engines section - settled on here because its quite pertinent to sibbing....

Obviously very happy with our current aerotec/15 hp combination, I can lug the engine around quite easily without using a trolley. However, I am interested in how people cope with lugging a 25 hp around. Do you all use a trolley? I'm wondering how you get them in and out of cars, how you get them onto the transom etc. If I could avoid having to dead lift a 25 I might be tempted to get one. I guess most 2 stroke 25s are around 50 kilos?

Cheers

Simon
Old 24 September 2015, 21:40   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I have a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke. They're a lump but manageable. The only time l need a lift is putting it in/out the boot of the car as they're really top heavy as you'd expect. I also have a trolley.
See if there's anybody local to you and have a go.
Old 24 September 2015, 21:49   #3

I see that people often use a sack truck to wheel their outboards around on. I'm just thinking that if added an extra pair of wheels to the top of one I could wheel it to the car then lift the bottom and roll the whole thing in on my own.
Old 24 September 2015, 22:03   #4

Whilst I don't own a sib I have looked at outboard transportation for when I get one.

I'll see if I can find a video of it but basically, guy made up one of those cav plate clamps with wheels. He floats the boat and wheels the engine right onto the transom, zero lifting involved. Unhooks the plate and off they go. Clips on another set at top when going back in the car so the engine has wheels top/bottom.....worked well.

If I find the vid i will post.
Old 24 September 2015, 22:14   #5

Town: South east england
Boat name: Whoopee
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 6 hp 25hp
Just swapped my 6 for a 25, yes 50 kg!, you really do need to prepare for the lift correctly or you will pull your back. I bolted a section of scaffold board to a sack trolley for testing/storage and wheel to car. I get the boat near the rear of car and lift carefully onto transom, the boat has strong transom wheels.
A
Old 24 September 2015, 22:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
I see that people often use a sack truck to wheel their outboards around on. I'm just thinking that if added an extra pair of wheels to the top of one I could wheel it to the car then lift the bottom and roll the whole thing in on my own.
Gurnard on here does this - minus the second set of wheels.
Sack barrow with a 2 stroke 25hp.
Slides it in and out of his SUV.
Then wheels it up to the Sibs transom.
Got it down to a fine art.
Wouldn't work with a 4 stroke tho......... glug glug I can hear the oil leaking out already
Old 24 September 2015, 22:45   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Used to have a 2-stroke Yammie on a Zodiac. Only had to build and disassemble during our annual holidays to the west coast. Use plenty padding, old pillows, etc, as it's an awkward thing to load. I found it easy enough, but I was 20 years younger. Key think is not to lift it too high. Keep the skeg just off the ground when moving it. As suggested, it's probably 50kg or thereabouts. I'd have a 2-stroke any day if you're building the boat. 4-strokes need the head to be slightly higher than the prop or you run the risk of oil leaks if transporting in the car.
Old 25 September 2015, 07:12   #8

Boat name: Commando C4
Make: Bombard
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP M25C3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
Not really sure whether to post this here or in the engines section - settled on here because its quite pertinent to sibbing....

Obviously very happy with our current aerotec/15 hp combination, I can lug the engine around quite easily without using a trolley. However, I am interested in how people cope with lugging a 25 hp around. Do you all use a trolley? I'm wondering how you get them in and out of cars, how you get them onto the transom etc. If I could avoid having to dead lift a 25 I might be tempted to get one. I guess most 2 stroke 25s are around 50 kilos?

Cheers

Simon
I have just upgraded from a 15hp Mercury 2-stroke to a Tohatsu 25hp 2-stroke. The merc is 31kg, the Tohatsu 51kg. Still manageable. The Tohatsu is a down-tunded 30hp, I will have the restriction removed and the timing adjusted.
Old 25 September 2015, 09:02   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I had a 25hp 2-stroke a few years ago on a SIB. It was manageable but a struggle. I found that I only really needed the power when the boat was heavily loaded, but unless it was dead calm I didn't want to go that fast with four people on board anyway.

I sold it and went for a 15hp instead, and that's what I've stayed with. I've also had smaller engines, which were easy to carry but just lacked enough power. A 15hp is a compromise, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best one.

If you want the extra speed though a 25 is a realistic prospect, given a combination of muscle and ingenuity.
Old 25 September 2015, 11:44   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'm with John on the choice of speed/usability and plumping for a 15hp. Of course there will be far stronger guys than me using a SIB and they must manage OK with larger outboards and the trolley system can work if you have a vehicle (ideally van or SUV) where that way is feasible.

But from time to time there is a need to do this or that with an outboard at launch/recovery time or in the garage... and for me a 25hp is just too large and top heavy to haul about.
Old 25 September 2015, 13:48   #11

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Lifting a 25hp

I seem to recall The Gurnard has moving his 25hp Mercury down to a fine art. Some pics in this thread;
http://www.rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=665036
Old 25 September 2015, 14:48   #12

...Cheers for the responses. I am going to give it some thought, I like the idea of wheels that clamp onto the cav plate! Cunning!

In an ideal world I'd have a 15 and a 25! That depends on the taxman this year... We are planning a fairly adventurous trip on the boat next summer which would involve having a lot of camping gear and fuel onboard. Given that weight and the nature of the crossing a 25 might be better, but all our gear isn't going to add up to the weight of two adults and there will only be two of us on the boat so perhaps the 15 is ok.

Simon
Old 25 September 2015, 15:15   #13

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
We are two.... err... medium size adults. With 25lit fuel and lots of kit plus a slim 18yr old teen and dog a 15hp pushed us on holiday faster than conditions would comfortably allow most of the time.

Of course 25hp would be more fun when the passengers are up for it but the extra power would not greatly affect our passage times.
Old 25 September 2015, 16:08   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
I seem to recall The Gurnard has moving his 25hp Mercury down to a fine art. Some pics in this thread;
RIBnet Forums - View Single Post - Mounting & Dismounting Outboards by Hand
He does and I've seen him do it in person he makes it look fairly easy (but not trivial) - but even with that it still seems a lot of hassle compared to a rig where it stays on the transom!
Old 26 September 2015, 06:29   #15

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Simonafloat i am currently using a 25hp 2 stroke on my Aerotec and appreciate your concerns.
The weight is obviously more noticeable getting in and out of the car, but up to now i have only had to lift it from the car straight onto the transom. I have got some decent launch wheels which take all of the weight and once the 25 is on the transom the extra weight over the 15 is next to nothing.
If the taxman is kind how about a Suzuki df 20 at 44kg if you are worried about the weight.
Old 26 September 2015, 06:57   #16

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I had a 25 on the sib - worked well and really loved the set up. I could just about walk it around myself, 2 of us to lift in and out of the car was best and when possible would always double handle.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2015, 15:44   #17

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
I have a 25hp 2 stroke, I do have a van with a side door, man handling it in is a little tricky. I set my boat up next to the side door and then only have to lug it a few feet to transom. Have the big zodiac wheels on the boat to walk it all down to the water. At the other end I have a sack barrow so load it from the van to that. It is heavy but really like my old 2stroke (it's an early 80's one). I don't have anything to compare it to though (it's my first setup) so it maybe that I'd be better with a more modern 15how or something.
Old 09 November 2015, 17:31   #18

Town: Bere Peninsular
Make: Seasearch
Engine: MarinerMarathon 25
When we first bought our SeaSearch 420 we plumped for a Tohatsu 9.8, mainly because my back was playing up so anything heavier was out of the question.
It was a great set up, planed easily with just the 2 of us, it was economical and quiet. Soon as we had friends or family with us, planing was a no no.
The only time I lifted it off the transom was to take it to be serviced, a stipulation to keep the warranty valid.
My back has now improved so we've bought a nearly new 25hp 2 stroke which I can just about lift myself.
Been out in it once, 4 up and boy is it good, too good for the conditions, couldn't open it up fully without risking flipping it or someone falling out.
As the new engine hasn't got a warranty, I don't need to get it serviced by a dealer, I can do it myself even while still on the transom. The only time I can see I'll need to lift it, is to take it indoors for the winter, and when I do I use a modified sack barrow as per most people on here.
If anyone is interested in a Tohatsu 4 stroke 9.8 with about 15 hrs on it, I know where there is one ;-)
Old 09 November 2015, 21:18   #19

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
All very helpful, thank you.
Old 09 November 2015, 21:19   #20

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
The Aerotec 380 when inflated with the wheels supplied, would seem to act as a trolley in itself, when moving the motor from the boot to the boat.