Old 24 July 2014, 20:57   #1

Town: Northern Alabama, USA
Boat name: Fire Fly
Make: Dong Seo
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Lift Point Question.

I would like to add 2 lifting points on the insides of the tubes, one on each side up forward. I want to use the pre-made D-Rings with about 6 1/2" diameter backing. By doing this, I can better center my dink on the davits and also use a 4-part sling if I want to use the small crane and put the dink on my roof.

The boat is a 12' SIB and weighs in at 120 lbs. Normally, when hanging on the davits, the boat is empty other than the oars.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this and how well will it hold up.

Thanks in advance.

Tony B
Old 25 July 2014, 01:18   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
If there is going to be a constant pull on the lifting rings then I would recommend a continuous loop under the boat, passing thru the rings. Reason being comes from first hand experience, where heat combined with a constant pull (Forgot to release my front winch), caused my front handle to detach from the boat. A loop passed all the way under the boat won't put pressure on the ring mounting points. Most front lifts for small SIB's and RIB's I have seen are attached to the floor decking, or utilizing a continuous loop sling under the boat. For lifting I use a continuous sling in the front and rear slings attaches to the transom.
Old 25 July 2014, 03:03   #3

Town: Northern Alabama, USA
Boat name: Fire Fly
Make: Dong Seo
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Peter

thanks for the input.
I already drilled and mounted eyes on the transom. On all my other dinghies, I always used the front lift ring/handle on the bow.
On this dink, the dink is 2 foot longer than the width of my transom on my trawler. Taking into account that the davits are not on the very ends, my dink may have the ass end sticking out almost 3 feet. If I run a sling and tie ends at one point to hook onto the davits, it pinches the tubes and I figured that this isn't good. the only way I could see running a sling would be to also use a spreader bar.
Do you just live with the pinching and not worry?