Old 30 January 2012, 17:23   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 Hosses!
lifejacket advice needed

Hi,just after a quick bit of advice regarding some recently purchased lifejackets from a large marine shop, the ones they have sent me out are manual ones and the ones I ordered where automatic ones, however on opening one up to send them a picture of it I noticed the date of manufacture is 01/09!

I dont know a great deal about lifejackets but have read they should be inspected yearly, my question is, do they have a shelf life as such?should I return them to the shop and ask for my money back, I am a little concerned about perhaps putting my life and someones elses in jeopardy over something like this, any good advice....

If best reply is to get my money back any good advice on where to purchase from I recently bought another one for a child from another large marine shop aand going to open that one up now and check out the date on it.

Regards

Nick
Old 30 January 2012, 17:40   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The date issue certainly sounds a concern but more generally if buying for a child (certainly a young one) general consensus is to go for the foam type with permanant buoyancy - don't rely on an auto inflating.
Old 30 January 2012, 18:42   #3

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
As far as I'm aware, if the jacket has been in a showroom or storage in a dry place then the age of it should not matter much. The reason for annual checking is to make sure the cylinder is not corroding and that the firing mechanism has not been affected by moisture. They also do an inflation test to make sure the bladder is not perished and holds air properly. If it is brand new and unopened I personally would not be worried.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 18:44   #4

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Three years old is too old to be selling as new stock, unless advertised as such and suitably discounted. I would request me money back and source elsewhere.
Old 30 January 2012, 18:59   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWC100 View Post
the ones they have sent me out are manual ones and the ones I ordered where automatic ones
Uh, I would want what I ordered, automatic ones, which is what we use. Fortunately we were able to walk into our local store on a super deal day "Black Friday" and get them for a good deal, and the dates were only a couple of months old.
Old 30 January 2012, 19:07   #6

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbryson75 View Post
Three years old is too old to be selling as new stock, unless advertised as such and suitably discounted. I would request me money back and source elsewhere.
I agree, I would send them back!

Have you spoken to the manufacture of the ones you are after? I have in the past gone direct with two major manufactures and had better prices than I could find.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 20:44   #7

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Well, sounds like they need to go back anyway if you have manual not auto as ordered.

Warranty if any offered on lifejackets should be from date of sale not date of manufacture. Having said that, I would think a manufacturer would be interested in any fault developing within normal usage at any stage. More important for autos is that the release cartridge has plenty of time on it - should be 30-36 months.

As above, for younger children definitely go for permanent buoyancy foam type. Although autos are generally reliable, there can be circumstances where they don't go off and you need presence of mind to pull the cord instead.
Old 30 January 2012, 22:34   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
also if there is any lights fitted in them they are going to be short dated too by a few years .

another more important one make sure they are fitted with crutch straps.
Old 31 January 2012, 15:24   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Are the bobbins in the auto jackets time-limited on the east side of the Atlantic?

USCG mandates replacement of the water soluble bobbin every three years (from date of manufacture of the bobbin, not the lifejacket.) When buying an auto jacket in the US, the bobbin should be replaced (or installed, if not installed) from new stock.

Just something else to think about.

jky
Old 31 January 2012, 17:47   #10

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Are the bobbins in the auto jackets time-limited on the east side of the Atlantic?

USCG mandates replacement of the water soluble bobbin every three years (from date of manufacture of the bobbin, not the lifejacket.) When buying an auto jacket in the US, the bobbin should be replaced (or installed, if not installed) from new stock.

Just something else to think about.

jky
Mandated ???? Here ?????? its a challenge to even get some boats to carry them on board - let alone wear them , as for thinking about if they will work or alot of people even knowing what a bobbin is ( hopefully its what you do when they inflate)......

We love the lack of mandated stuff on this side

(not saying lifejackets should not be up to standard )
Old 31 January 2012, 18:18   #11

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
i`d deffo want what i`d ordered...we use foam ones for wifey and the kids with crotch strap and whistles i personally use an bouyancy aid as i canoe too... i guess it comes down to how far out your going and with ten hosses on a 3m boat (like me) i wouldn`t want to go too far, so i`m guessing your pootling around a bay and up and down rivers . can everyone swim is possibly a more sensible question.. theres some excellent advice on the forums as regards to kit to carry for the sea, first aid kit,wet bags with clothes etc ...... personally before i take to the sea `proppa` i`d like to buddy up with some one who goes regularly so they can give some good advice and any failings in kit ...
Old 01 February 2012, 17:12   #12

Make: Zodiac
Engine: 9.9 Hosses!
Thanks very much for all the great advice I finally emailed them this evening and have given them the chance to make good, if they offer me a straight replacement for the 2 autos I will I think just return them and get a refund on them! Its a lot of grief for me to get to a post office to return them and to be honest im just pleased I didnt use them.......... I was talking to someone today about what might of happened had I gone in the drink expecting it to inflate!

Nick
Old 01 February 2012, 18:03   #13

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Regardless of the wrong order, under the distance selling regs you can return anything bought online or by phone for a full refund if you notify the seller within 7 working days. Not many people realise this includes the postage to you *and* the cost of return postage (all deemed to be part of the contract for a 'distance sale'). It is the selling company's obligation to arrange collection from you. The law on this is very robust - you do not even need to return the goods to them to obtain the refund, it is their obligation to request or collect them.

The UK's Distance Selling Regulations