Old 06 October 2012, 19:56   #1

Town: wetherby
Boat name: s
Make: ribeye
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Launching wheels on a futura 3??

Currently I have a 3.3 rib with a 15hp engine. We have a flat at a seaside resort and the rib is great for just wheeling down the slipway, across the beach and straight in the sea. At lunch, we can easily pull the rib up the beach and leave it happy.

BUT - I am now looking for something a bit bigger - the 3,3M is ok, but when fishing with the kids it is just a bit tight for space so I was looking at going a bit bigger. I was thinking something like a 3.9M xpro ali rib, or a 4m ribeye. Both are light so should still be beach launchable, but my other option was a bigger SIB and I have seen a futura 3 alu pack with a 50hp 2 stroke engine. My questions are

1. If I fit beach launching wheels will it be manageable still - I am guessing it will weight in about 180kgs

2. Am i better with a ali hull rib as they will ride the sea better than the SIB??

The futura does really catch my eye - I like the big tubes and stering pack and also it is secondhand whereas I think I will struggle to find a used ali hull rib.

Views??
Old 06 October 2012, 21:33   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Welcome to rib.net. I had a similar Zodiac in the late 90's, Futura Sport, jockey seat and 50hp yamaha. It was a fantastic toy, very very fast (Over 50mph with a large pitch prop) and if proped down you could even mono ski behind it. I used it mainly on Windermere, so cant really comment on wave performance.

But having said all that, there is no way I could have launched it over a beach with attached wheels. It was just too big, heavy and awkward to move around. Strictly a trailer only boat IMHO.

I think the biggest I would like to be pulling over a beach would be about 3.8, with airdeck and a 25hp 2 stroke.
Old 07 October 2012, 06:28   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
This thread might be helpful:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/launchi...tml#post492237
Old 07 October 2012, 20:54   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Have briefly owned a futura with launching wheels , and now own a rib eye 4.3 alloy hull rib .

Unless you need to be able to pack a boat away into a van there is no good reason to pick the futura . even then the rib with the tubes deflated and folded into the hull is lighter and more managable
In use There is no comparison the alloy rib is far far far better in every way, wieght ,ride, sea keeping speed etc etc , and if you wanted to you could fit transom wheels to it .
My little rib eye 430 has a better ride in a lumpy sea than the valiant 490 i used to own
Old 08 October 2012, 16:41   #5

Town: wetherby
Boat name: s
Make: ribeye
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Thanks guys - i guess i just fan ied the futura as it was a good deal and has the big tubes and a light steering set up also it seemed more of a sea rib than the ali hulled ribs which though the same weight seem to be more tenders.

If you go to 4m grp ribs they seem to get heavier duty and they weight goes up meaning beach launvh would be impossible.

So if i go ali rib for weight ribebye ts400 or xpro defeneder ali 390 ???

Any views??
Old 08 October 2012, 18:35   #6

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I had a little 4.1 lodestar before the rib eye ,which is similar to the tohatsu brand rib .
the ally hull is a much deeper v than the comparable fibre glass boats , its lighter but not by enough to make a difference . the advantage of the ally is its tough , The rib eye comes with a keel guard fitted , as i expect the x pro does too . they can be dragged over sand or mud without any damage at all .

as for what to choose , i don't think there is much in it , both ally hulls looked like they came out the same faactory to me .
It was easy to find and see a rib eye locally for me I liked the tapered shape of the rib eye, it has a look and shape that you only seem to get in much bigger boats and also has tapered tubes . I also liked the light colour , it had a good guarantee and looked good value for money and i was offered a good discount .
Have since seen an xpro and it looks very good too , and the same size model has more tube features than the rib eye ,like handles and lifelines not sure if it had the nice tapered shape though . The grey was also a good colour .

My feeling was that when i come to sell the rib eye is a better known brand that may hold its money better .

ribe eye do a light wieght range and a heavier range . I think the heavier one just had a large bow locker etc .