Old 30 January 2011, 13:34   #1

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Launching wheels

Has anyone got experience of transom mounted launching wheels that might be suitable for the FC470?

I want to use the type that are removable without tools, they won't be used very often so I'd rather store them in the boat.

These are the type of thing Im looking at:
http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi...om/wheels.html

The only thing with these is I don't much like the idea of using aluminium, especially when mixed with stainless fasteners. And I realize big diameter wheels are better for getting over the rough stuff but 16"? Sounds huge to me!

There's a couple of Zodiac's own wheels that may work but trying to get info like dimensions etc for Zodiac stuff from Avon is like getting blood from a stone. I get the impression they don't like working for the competition.

Z61110
Z1290
Old 30 January 2011, 13:39   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
These are the type of thing Im looking at:
http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi...om/wheels.html
I have a pair just like that in stainless, you can have them for nothing. Which is what they will be worth on your boat!

IMHO You will want something much more robust. I have fitted lots of that type to leisure SIBS and they are superb, but with the weight of your engine and transom I would steer clear.
Old 30 January 2011, 14:06   #3

They are rated for 300lbs (150kg) so I would be on the limits although they must have a safety margin built in to that.

I'm liking the Zodiac stainless ones more but I'd like some specs for them before I throw away £240.

I could make my own but trying to make a track to fit the stem of the wheels could be a PITA
Old 01 February 2011, 05:55   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I've got a set of Zodiac launching wheels that came with a Mark II Grand raid that I bought. There construction would be marginal for a Mark III sized boat with a suitable motor. The other HUGE design flaw with them is that the run a bolt (with a crank handle at the head) through the transom into the main shaft that the launching wheel is attached to and therefore cannot readily be 'swung away'. It is very important to be able to easily disengage launching wheels from the down position to the up position.

If you are trying to launch the boat at a location with a number of rocks, and get a wheel stuck between the rocks, with the zodiac system, you are screwered. This is because all of the weight at the stern of the boat locks that wheel into that position. With a swing away system you can easily disengage, and free up the wheel.

The nicest swing away design I've ever seen is the one i had linked to earlier:

http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/
Old 02 February 2011, 10:56   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
The nicest swing away design I've ever seen is the one i had linked to earlier:

http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/
I haven't seen them before, but they look excellent. Probably a bit expensive for most applications, but definitely worth considering.
Old 02 February 2011, 12:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I haven't seen them before, but they look excellent. Probably a bit expensive for most applications, but definitely worth considering.
Something very similar here.
Old 02 February 2011, 13:03   #7

Quote:
250 squids for the biggest version.
Old 02 February 2011, 15:44   #8

Quote:
I had seen those as well. Based on the images on the website, I can see 2 main differences in the functional aspects of the designs. One is that with the beachmaster design, the wheels, when in the down postion, would be more directly under the transom. With the swedish design the wheels sit further aft of the transom when in the down position, which would make it more difficult to lift the bow to pull the boat.

The other difference is that with the Swedish design, the wheels won't extend as far below the transom. This may have a small benefit if launching on a smooth sandy beach, but would be a huge disadvantage if trying to pull the boat over rougher terrain.
Old 02 February 2011, 15:50   #9

Quote:
I can see 2 main differences
They are also cheaper, at about 200 quid. Though they do not have a UK distributor, but shipping from NZ is fast and well priced.

Rated to 240kg they would be up to the job. But they are made from that old combination of ali and steel.
Old 02 February 2011, 16:07   #10

Quote:
The other difference is that with the Swedish design, the wheels won't extend as far below the transom. This may have a small benefit if launching on a smooth sandy beach, but would be a huge disadvantage if trying to pull the boat over rougher terrain.
I'm not sure either would have enough clearance if you've got speed tubes sticking down underneath.

I really want removable wheels anyway, just rang Ron Hale but turns out they have wednesday afternoons off As well as stocking the Zodiac wheels, they have a similar looking set rated for 230kg and half the price

Linkage
Old 03 February 2011, 13:07   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I emailed Beachmaster and got a very quick reply. They quoted me £38 to ship them to the UK by "trackable courier air freight" which doesn't sound too bad. After duty, VAT and handling I reckon you'd be looking at £230 or £240 all in.

Much as I like the look of them they're not for me though as they are designed to be permanently moouted on the transom which is not really what I want. On the other hand, for a big SIB (or a small RIB) on a trailer I reckon they'd be perfect.
Old 04 February 2011, 13:58   #12

Quote:
I'm not sure either would have enough clearance if you've got speed tubes sticking down underneath.

I really want removable wheels anyway, just rang Ron Hale but turns out they have wednesday afternoons off As well as stocking the Zodiac wheels, they have a similar looking set rated for 230kg and half the price

Linkage
Hard to say with out seeing them in person, but based on the images, 230 kg seem pretty optimistic for those (esp. if on rough terrain).
Old 04 February 2011, 14:17   #13

The Milpro guys at Avon have 3 new FC's arriving next week so they're going look at them to check if my transom is drilled to suit any of the Zodiac wheels.

If it is then using the correct wheels is probably the sensible option.

If not then I'll use the detachable up-n-over wheels from Ron Hale
Old 04 February 2011, 14:32   #14

Quote:
The Milpro guys at Avon have 3 new FC's arriving next week so they're going look at them to check if my transom is drilled to suit any of the Zodiac wheels.

If it is then using the correct wheels is probably the sensible option.

If not then I'll use the detachable up-n-over wheels from Ron Hale
What outboard will you be putting on the back? A bare bones FC 470 weighs ~ 150 Kg . If using a 50 hp 2 stroke carbie that's another 70-80 kg, if a 50 hp DI thohatsu ~ 90kg ETEC ~110g. Add on for the accssories that are a PITA to add & remove with each launch. The transom wheels will probably take about 80% of the total weight. You may wish to have a 3rd wheel to support the portion of weight at the bow (which @ 20% of the total will still be significant).

Again based on my personal experiences using the zodiac launching wheels, I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than paved ramps (where you could much more easily use a trailer).
Old 04 February 2011, 14:57   #15

I've never been convinced of the 146kg book weight of the FC, empty I could pick the back end up with 2 fingers and the hard deck can't be more than 60kg? I can carry the floor in it's bag on my own but only just.

I'm using a 50hp carbed 2 stroke, iirc it's 90kg. I've based my calcs on the wheels taking all the weight of the motor and half of the boat. I reckon if they're rated for 150kg or above then I should be ok for the amount they'll get used.

The wheels I'll probably end up with are rated to 230kg which should be plenty.
Old 04 February 2011, 15:21   #16

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I emailed Beachmaster and got a very quick reply. They quoted me £38 to ship them to the UK by "trackable courier air freight" which doesn't sound too bad. After duty, VAT and handling I reckon you'd be looking at £230 or £240 all in.

Much as I like the look of them they're not for me though as they are designed to be permanently moouted on the transom which is not really what I want. On the other hand, for a big SIB (or a small RIB) on a trailer I reckon they'd be perfect.
I am tempted to order a set, wonder if we could get a deal for a few of them all sent at once?

Toby
Old 04 February 2011, 15:56   #17

I'd like to see the Beachmaster system set up to accomodate the 49cm wheeleez rim & tire combo:

http://www.wheeleez.com/beach-wheels-polyurethane.php
Old 19 February 2011, 20:53   #18

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
I'd like to see the Beachmaster system set up to accomodate the 49cm wheeleez rim & tire combo:

http://www.wheeleez.com/beach-wheels-polyurethane.php
Funny as last weekend I started to build the legs and axles for my Wheeleez setup going onto my Zodiac MKII Futura 4.2m with a 40hp 2 stroke. I bought the 19" (49cm) wheels ($189 US off Ebay) which have a 265# rating (US ya know!) and my boat weighs somewhere around 500# minus trailer I figure. Anything less than the biggest Wheeleez tyres (For you European RIB.net friends) would just sink in our soft sand and pea gravel.

I purchased $100 in stainless material to build the legs out of. Trying to make sure they are beefy enough to hold up to rough surface launching conditions. My goal is to be able to launch over local beaches and even one of our favorite dive sites (Point Lobos State Park) when the tides are unfavorable and the ramp is mostly high and dry. It is probably going to be a couple of weeks before they are done, and then the next boat project starts...slings so I can launch at even more places
Old 20 February 2011, 15:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Funny as last weekend I started to build the legs and axles for my Wheeleez setup going onto my Zodiac MKII Futura 4.2m with a 40hp 2 stroke. I bought the 19" (49cm) wheels ($189 US off Ebay) which have a 265# rating (US ya know!) and my boat weighs somewhere around 500# minus trailer I figure. Anything less than the biggest Wheeleez tyres (For you European RIB.net friends) would just sink in our soft sand and pea gravel.

I purchased $100 in stainless material to build the legs out of. Trying to make sure they are beefy enough to hold up to rough surface launching conditions. My goal is to be able to launch over local beaches and even one of our favorite dive sites (Point Lobos State Park) when the tides are unfavorable and the ramp is mostly high and dry. It is probably going to be a couple of weeks before they are done, and then the next boat project starts...slings so I can launch at even more places
Please take lots of photos of this project and post them up here! I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out!