Old 01 January 2019, 21:37   #1

Town: Maghera
Length: 3m +
Launching Trolley

Considering buying a launching Trolley ....silly question but what is the technique used to get the boat on the trolley ? Thanks
Old 02 January 2019, 07:47   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Wade out pushing the trolley. Pull the boat by the painter and float it onto the trolley. Secure the bow to the trolley handle with a couple of turns. Pull the trolley far enough up the beach that the transom of the boat is above water level. Walk round the back and check that the boat is on straight. If necessary, adjust the position of the boat. Pull the boat all the way out.

Inflatable tyres will roll better, but they also float, which means that if you are recovering in waves, you may struggle to get the back end of the trolley down when you want to float the boat on.

With a heavy boat or on steep slipway, it is possible to tie off the front of the trolley to the tow bar and drive slowly up the slip. It's not what it's designed to do, but it works.

2 other options:

Transom wheels directly attached to the boat. Many people use these on boats up to about 3.3 metres and with engines up to around 15hp, maybe a bit more.

A launching trailer with a winch, for larger boats.

I use transom wheels on my Zodiac 310 and did so on my previous 3.4.

I use a combi trailer for my 12 ft sailing dinghy. Recover on the trolley, then the trolley slots into place on the road trailer.