Old 29 June 2019, 20:13   #1

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Launching in North Wales

Hi all,

Been away a while due to ill health then work commitments.
I was at colwyn bay today and was going to launch the little sib when I was told I had to register (20 quid) then pay a 20 quid launch fee. They also wanted to see my insurance (which I didn't have with me)
Now, I understand all that if I'm using their slipway but I was going to set it up on the beach and wheel it into the water. I've launched on Nefyn beach without any questions before but it's about 2 years ago.
Is it right that they can charge you to launch from the beach? I thought it was crown property and only charge to use slipway?
Are there any beaches where you can launch without this?
It's only a 6hp sib for God's sake!
Thanks all.
Old 29 June 2019, 20:37   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzajnr View Post
Hi all,

Been away a while due to ill health then work commitments.

I was at colwyn bay today and was going to launch the little sib when I was told I had to register (20 quid) then pay a 20 quid launch fee. They also wanted to see my insurance (which I didn't have with me)

Now, I understand all that if I'm using their slipway but I was going to set it up on the beach and wheel it into the water. I've launched on Nefyn beach without any questions before but it's about 2 years ago.

Is it right that they can charge you to launch from the beach? I thought it was crown property and only charge to use slipway?

Are there any beaches where you can launch without this?

It's only a 6hp sib for God's sake!

Thanks all.

Speak nicely to Chris Seddon at Ty Calch. He normally charges £20ish to launch & recover you with a tractor. I’m sure he would come to an “understanding” for you to use his slip/car park/toilets.

Hint:- he likes his Belgian & craft beers.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 20:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Speak nicely to Chris Seddon at Ty Calch. He normally charges £20ish to launch & recover you with a tractor. I’m sure he would come to an “understanding” for you to use his slip/car park/toilets.

Hint:- he likes his Belgian & craft beers.
Thanks.
I just don't get why I need to pay anything when I'm carrying it onto the beach myself.
I don't need any assistance with launching as I have a good little trolley that sits under the transom.
What next? Will I be getting charged for the boy's rubber dinghy?
Plus, I want to be on a big sandy beach so the OH can sunbathe!
Old 29 June 2019, 20:57   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks.
I just don't get why I need to pay anything when I'm carrying it onto the beach myself.
I don't need any assistance with launching as I have a good little trolley that sits under the transom.
What next? Will I be getting charged for the boy's rubber dinghy?
Plus, I want to be on a big sandy beach so the OH can sunbathe!

Once you’re on Crown Foreshore “generally” you are correct. The problem is that getting to the HW mark involves crossing private/council land & that is what you are being charged for. There are plenty of places between Caernarfon & Chris’ that you could launch, but most will involve humping the boat over a sea wall, down a drop, across mud etc. You’re paying for access & convenience.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 29 June 2019, 21:05   #5

Quote:
Once you’re on Crown Foreshore “generally” you are correct. The problem is that getting to the HW mark involves crossing private/council land & that is what you are being charged for. There are plenty of places between Caernarfon & Chris’ that you could launch, but most will involve humping the boat over a sea wall, down a drop, across mud etc. You’re paying for access & convenience.
So, if I carry it in its bag, across the beach, and assemble beyond the high water line, nobody can stop me?
If that's the case then I'm happy to do so.
I wouldn't mind if it was a fiver or something but 40 quid to get in the water from a public beach with such a small boat seems ludicrous to me.
Old 29 June 2019, 21:15   #6

RIBase
Quote:
So, if I carry it in its bag, across the beach, and assemble beyond the high water line, nobody can stop me?

If that's the case then I'm happy to do so.

I wouldn't mind if it was a fiver or something but 40 quid to get in the water from a public beach with such a small boat seems ludicrous to me.

In theory yes, but councils might have bylaws that catch you out. If it was me, I’d just find somewhere quiet & go for it. There are places along the Menai that you can access the waters edge. Just keep a low profile. If you went onto Anglesey you can virtually pick your spot.
Old 29 June 2019, 21:19   #7

Quote:
In theory yes, but councils might have bylaws that catch you out. If it was me, I’d just find somewhere quiet & go for it. There are places along the Menai that you can access the waters edge. Just keep a low profile. If you went onto Anglesey you can virtually pick your spot.
Cheers.
I'll make sure I have my insurance with me in future then I'll just go for it.
If I get challenged then I'll pay up. I'll do the registration because its only a one off per year but I think 20 quid a day to launch is utter madness.
Old 05 July 2019, 05:48   #8

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I launched at Trearrdur Bay a couple of years back and had to produce the insurance and pay the registration fee. If remember correctly, there was only a launch fee if you took the vehicle onto the slip.

My guess is that they're trying to discourage jet skis and the like. Sadly, we all know that there is a sizeable group of people who buy fast watercraft and just wazz about near the shore causing disruption and sometimes putting other water users in danger. Theory is that anyone able to produce the insurance documents and pay the fee is likely to be a more responsible owner. Also, by having a system in place, the authority has a defence that they were not negligent.

For the amount involved, I doubt the takings make it anything like self funding, let alone profit making.
Old 11 July 2019, 20:37   #9

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150
Compared to insurance, tubes, engines, wheel bearings, trailer brakes, stainless steel a frames, chart plotters, depth Sounders, fixed radios, hand held radios, flares, charts, electronic charts for the mobile devices, props, tops, anchors, warm clothes, wet weather clothes, flasks, food, accommodation, fuel, binoculars, seats, bags, and shined bits that I seem to buy every other week...... compared to that the launch/slip fees are the cheapest part of owning a boat!

... but +1 for Ty Calch for launching. Takes ALL the stress out of it. AND you can get changed and go for a pee
Old 09 September 2020, 17:20   #10

Town: High Wycombe
Boat name: Miles Away
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
Thanks for this thread very interesting.

I am going to be in Bangor visiting family at the end of October and am thinking of taking the rib.

Where I live there is a nice public slipway and you just use it. That's the end of it.

So I am quite alarmed to go on the Anglesea councils website to find not one but many different charges, rules, laws, byelaws and restrictions to launching a boat. I know they says it's to discourage abuse but it's really to make the council as much money as possible - it reminds me of Sid James in carry on camping.

Anyone recommend a nice place to launch at the Caernarfon end? I looked at the one opposite Port Dinorwic (which in the past was lovely) and the council have closed it - figures. There is still beach access (just not slipway) - I might just drive down the beach and plonk it in. Likely if I do that though there will be someone phone the council and NATO airstrikes will be authorised against me.

Any help / up to date advice on locations that aren't a massive rip off would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 30 March 2024, 11:29   #11

Town: Wrexham
Boat name: Seaway star
Make: Boatworld
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard
I'm looking also, just had my reminder from conwy council. Registration and annual launch 145 quid, way I read it covers Anglesey as well just pay the launch fee, I know its a rip off, hope you got sorted from a few years ago I know.