Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 25 August 2014, 13:12   #1

Town: ludlow
Make: excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Launching a sib from Saundersfoot Pembrokeshire

I am thinking of launching a sib from Saundersfoot harbour Pembrokeshire ,120 miles away,what are the costs and is it easy to do as it will be the first time out on the water for me.Do I need launching wheels,sib is 3.3 meters.
Old 25 August 2014, 13:57   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
there is a harbour with a hard slip and parking call to the harbour master is best bet.

Slipway launching and recovery at Saundersfoot Harbour in Pembrokeshire

Quote:
The slipway operates for two and half hours either side of the tide and costs just £8 for a daily launch... which also includes the price of the trailer storage.
Saundersfoot Harbour slipway is suitable for all types of vessels from sailor trailers, day boats or large ribs through to dinghies and kayaks.
For safety purposes, all mariners requiring a daily launch must produce a valid boat insurance policy and be over the age of 18.
Old 25 August 2014, 14:34   #3

That looks brilliant,plus plenty of help around too by the looks of it.
Would you pay for a second parking space to inflate the Sib?then wheel it round to slipway or is there sand by slipway to launch?
Old 25 August 2014, 15:02   #4

The £8 launch includes trailer storage so see no need to pay for a place to inflate it (inflate it on the slip if you can near the water). then park in carpark. the beach is next to the harbour

HIgh tide

Low tide (long walk)
Old 25 August 2014, 15:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissd330 View Post
as it will be the first time out on the water for me.
Just noticed this chris, what boating experience do you have? What safety kit?

As you see the harbour master requires insurance to launch. Saundersfoot is a lovely place long trip from ludlow but i guess as close as many places!

Is the set up new or used? If used well worth getting it checked over before a 3 hour drive + and potential disappointment.

Ideally you need inshore flare kit, vhf radio, secondary propulsion (oars) etc etc but a mobile phone (in a good dry bag) and good buoyancy aids + Oars and a bottle of water (drinking) should be enough for a quick trip round the bay or even a trip over to tenby if calm. (make sure you have spare fuel) ideally 2 full cans and only go as far as half the first can will take you.
Old 25 August 2014, 15:57   #6

Thanks for all your help ,nice photos too,not been there for 10 years,there was a chandlers shop on the end of the harbour.
I had my first pvc inflatable when I was 12,went everywhere in it ,even took it too Spain,then bough a Excell 330 about 14 months ago then the Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke 3 months ago.
I had a Kayaking trip last year.
I have a mate of mine took his RYA 2 power boating course a couple of years ago,he will check the engine over and come with us.
I have seen marine insurance on ,here got a quote for £40,will arrange this before we go.
We normally go to Redlands campsite near Little Haven Haverfordwest with the caravan twice a year so the boat can go in the back of the Land Rover Discovery.took it out last year there but no engine,launched off beach kept 60 yards out from rocks fishing.need a vhf radio ,being a radio ham i have radios that will work on marine band,I even have an old marine band radio on 2 meters(could convert it back)but for safety will get a proper hand held ,and take the radio course sometime.
No flares at the moment,Got a large Fat Max waterproof toolbox,Oars,had plenty of practice at rowing,got a Typhoon extra large bouancy aid,fuel cans,plug spanner pressure gauge ,electric pump,puncture kit.
Do I need to take the electric pump in the boat with me to increase air pressures due to the cold water ?or will the hand pump do for that.
Old 25 August 2014, 16:40   #7

I wouldn't take an electric pump on the water, pump it up on the quay side leave it 30 min to make sure it's holding and away you go no real Chandler in saundersfoot iirc from when I was there last year.

The SIB should fit on the roof of the disco ideal when on holiday saves in/deflating every day!

Photos aren't mine just borrowed from the web.

RYA level 2 is a great course and well worth doing.

Oh launching wheels will make solo launching easier but if there are a few willing friends around then just lift in less complex and faffy

Should have a great time down there, just make sure you stay safe.

Give the harbour master a call and have a chat best source of local knowledge.
Old 25 August 2014, 19:15   #8

Will look at roof racks for the disco,be fine for short trips whilst on holiday,long trips from home safer in the back of the car ,less to worry about.
I woulds like to do the RYA level 2 learn more about boating,and the radio course.
There should be 3 of us, so carrying the boat should be ok.
Will contact the harbour master before we go,hopefully September October time.
Old 25 August 2014, 19:41   #9

Quote:
Will look at roof racks for the disco,be fine for short trips whilst on holiday,long trips from home safer in the back of the car ,less to worry about.
I woulds like to do the RYA level 2 learn more about boating,and the radio course.
There should be 3 of us, so carrying the boat should be ok.
Will contact the harbour master before we go,hopefully September October time.
Inflating deflating every day for a week will be a PITA also the washing it down to get the salt and sand off each time takes time before you pack it away much better to do it once.....

For the RYA course I recomend Courses « Swansea Watersports if you fancy doing it down here, I did my PWC with them great course.

VHF you can probably find closer to home Shropshire Sailing Club - Learning
Old 25 August 2014, 20:05   #10

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Saundersfoot bay is a great location for sibbing, and the harbour has an easy slip, but a couple of things to watch out for:

1. The 2.5 hours either side of high tide seems a little optimistic to me, even with a SIB. The 'low tide' photo above is probably nearer to half tide - at low tide the harbour dries out except for a stream through it. There is a soft sand / mud bank between the slip and the main channel which could be a limiting factor in getting in / out as the tide falls (hopefully someone with more direct experience can comment).

2. It looks like they close the slip outside of working hours now - when I was there earlier this year there were locking bollards across the slip. Not an issue if you are deflating the SIB anyway (or can tilt the SIB over and carry between them), but something to be aware of.

There is a pedestrian ramp on to Saundersfoot main beach (just to the right of the 'low tide' photo). With a light SIB you could park near the top of the ramp and carry down onto the beach and inflate. Depending on tide state it could be a long walk to the sea, but if the SIB is light enough for the number of people and you have decent transom wheels it is doable.

As a final option, Glen beach is a little way up the road - you will need to carry the boat down to the beach on its side - when I was a nipper we used to do it with a SIB and 4.5HP outboard so again with enough muscle it is doable.

Best suggestion for all the above would be to recce the area at low tide first to avoid getting caught out, or aim to launch and recover on a rising tide.

As an alternative, Milford Haven waterway is great for sibbing. You could launch for free at Black Tar (IIRC free slip and free car park):

Blacktar Haverfordwest[slipway] - Boatlaunch

or East Llanion (also free):

East Llanion Pembroke[slipway] - Boatlaunch

Plenty of other slips but those are the two I know.

I would stay above the Cleddau Bridge, and stick to the main rivers until you have gained experience (and have a good chart!).

Information on the Milford Haven waterway here:

http://www.mhpa.co.uk/uploads/PoMH_LUG_2014.pdf

Cheers

Chris
Old 25 August 2014, 20:27   #11

This may illustrate the point
Old 25 August 2014, 21:21   #12

Hi Chris,The ramp sounds ok on to the main beach,but will need some decent transom wheels,which should i go for?If we set up on the beach we will be out of every ones way,either that or the slipway other side the car park.
HDAV,I suppose i could wash it down in the harbour,If caravanning not so easy if its launched off a beach,caravan awning is large enough to store it in,no one will see it in there.could clean it off with a towel and water if its not too dirty,flushing the outboard out must be the most important though.
My Mate did his course at Swansea,is it a 2 day course?If so i could do it at Dale whilst on Holiday,depending when the courses are.
Old 25 August 2014, 21:25   #13

HADV,just seen your photo of the beach,would need some good wheels to get out there and some good boots,Better make sure the tide times are correct before leaving,i have a tide table app on my iphone.
Old 25 August 2014, 21:40   #14

Quote:
HADV,just seen your photo of the beach,would need some good wheels to get out there and some good boots,Better make sure the tide times are correct before leaving,i have a tide table app on my iphone.
Indeed not a good idea turning up to a long walk......

Yeah level 2 is a 2 day course the level 1 and intro courses aren't really worth bothering with tbh. If you are down for a week then see if there is a course running.

The outboard needs flushing after each use the SIB only needs a good clean before being put away for storage, most good slips have a hose pipe you can use.
Old 25 August 2014, 21:46   #15

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
This may illustrate the point
Could be worse , could be Southport
Old 26 August 2014, 23:04   #16

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Saundersfoot bay is a great location for sibbing,........................
Chris
Pretty much all of this.

Good advice.
Old 26 August 2014, 23:11   #17

If I were you and staying at Little Haven, I'd be looking to launch at Llanstadwell, Hazelbeach, Milford Haven or Neyland. If you're looking for more sheltered conditions, then Hobbs Point or East Llanion are a bit further upriver.

Saundersfoot is a great place, but has its complications, as previously stated and is a bit further to travel from Little Haven.
Old 02 September 2014, 20:31   #18

Lawrenny quay looks ok for a first trip out on the water,well up river,safe place to practice on and for testing the sib out.If the engine fails i can always use the oars.Where do i get some charts from?
Old 02 September 2014, 20:43   #19

Charts from any chandler online or brick & mortar.
Old 03 September 2014, 12:28   #20

Quote:
Lawrenny quay looks ok for a first trip out on the water,well up river,safe place to practice on and for testing the sib out.If the engine fails i can always use the oars.Where do i get some charts from?
£10 to launch in Lawrenny. The others I mentioned are FOC.