Old 21 April 2016, 13:46   #41

Town: Point Blank,TX
Boat name: Just Blown
Make: Achilles 2 of them
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 8&15hp Nissan 15
97 was the last year the defender was sold over her. I have seen them on the used market sell for as high as 150k usd. Just crazy. If your your short on space spend 100 bucks and pick up a hitch carrier. It solves all transportation woes.
Old 21 April 2016, 17:19   #42
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
test post
Old 21 April 2016, 17:24   #43
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Land Rover Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
FTFY Boss.

Thank you. To be fair I generally left the driver's door top off to make a bit more elbow room. It was a IIA actually not a SIII, so had a bit more legroom than later models.

It was a god awful contraption but I thought it was great at the time!
Old 21 April 2016, 17:49   #44
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It was a god awful contraption but I thought it was great at the time!
They call it "Land Rover Syndrome", Boss. I'm a former sufferer. There's a market for Interventions, IMO....

Old 29 April 2016, 21:18   #45

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Discoverys are great, but they are not a Defender, which is why you can get a good one for £1500.

We've got two Defenders, the missus drives a 90 and l've got a 110.

The 110 has a lot more room, and it's not as big as you'd think. I do 1,000 miles a month in mine.

I took out the side facing rear seats and out a board across the back, as suggested above. I can get my SIB plus engine and everything for a week's holiday in no problem.

It can be done in a 90, we had just a 90 for eight years.
I've had two mountain bikes and a week's holiday kit in the back of the 90, and that's without removing the fold up rear seats.

If you don't want a 110, get a 90 hard top (basically the van version) as they are a fair bit cheaper than the station wagon anyway. You can always fit seats and windows if you want, and the road tax is cheaper.
I'd recommend a TD5 manufactured after the update in 2002 but before the road tax went up in early 2006.
Old 29 April 2016, 21:27   #46

Town: Marple
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Not sure but I have a feeling that (with the diff lock out a Landy become a one wheel drive) - remove one wheel and tow it away will defeat that. Or remove prop in 5 mins or less. It's like all the gizmos with solenoids in the clutch or brake lines - thieves just cut the pipes and drive off without using the clutch. Not trying to be negative but I looked into all the stuff out there so much. The ones I listed are the accepted layers that most go for once they have had one nicked so do it all before it goes!
My 90 was stolen last year but the thieves did not get far. After about 100 yards the alarm went off....a ship's foghorn hidden in the cab with it's own backup battery. The guy literally fell out of the cab...he'd pressed the brake pedal when the alarm went off and the brakes had locked on anyway.
Another security system it has fitted. Yes l know it's illegal, but so is stealing a Land Rover, and if the Police can't stop these people then l have to take some action.
Old 29 April 2016, 22:02   #47

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
My 90 was stolen last year but the thieves did not get far. After about 100 yards the alarm went off....a ship's foghorn hidden in the cab with it's own backup battery. The guy literally fell out of the cab...he'd pressed the brake pedal when the alarm went off and the brakes had locked on anyway.
Another security system it has fitted. Yes l know it's illegal, but so is stealing a Land Rover, and if the Police can't stop these people then l have to take some action.

Quality 💪💪
Old 30 April 2016, 08:09   #48

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Quality 💪💪
Bloody Right GOOD ON YA!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2016, 07:33   #49

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:

Quality!

Do you have any technical drawings of this anti-theft device?

If only what I was looking at was petrol I could wire a circuit from the HT lead through the seats and steering wheel ;-)
Old 04 May 2016, 07:37   #50

Quote:
If you don't want a 110, get a 90 hard top (basically the van version) as they are a fair bit cheaper than the station wagon anyway. You can always fit seats and windows if you want, and the road tax is cheaper.
I'd recommend a TD5 manufactured after the update in 2002 but before the road tax went up in early 2006.

Thanks, great advice. This is where I'd actually gotten to. A 90 "van" in 54 plate with 100k miles is going for around £8-£10k whereas the similar "station wagon" is going for £12-£16k... Makes one wonder if it's worth buy vans and investing the time & energy in converting to station wagon... As if I have the time ;-)
Old 04 May 2016, 09:02   #51

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
at the age you're looking at, I'd be far more concerened about condition rather than if it's a hardtop or station wagon, the station wagons always hold their value as they are less likely to have been used by farmers etc than a hard top. unlike many on here, I like the later Puma engined versions just as much as the earlier TD5s etc, and bearing in mind it's 9 years since they built any TD5s they are starting to get a bit long in the tooth, although there are still plenty of good ones about! I guess one of the benefits of the TD5s is that there are plenty of opertunities for extracting a bit more oomph from the engine, such as cam changes, bigger turbo's and intercoolers etc, they can be made to be reasonably sporty if that's your thing still, I'll stick to my ratty old tdci puma for now, bought it 6 months old as a demo model from the local dealership, it's not missed a beat so far but it's not been near the dealers since I bought it, local garage does all the servicing etc as they know more about them than the dealers do! there again, it get an easy life, doesn't tow much and only the occasional bit of off-roading ............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTAX1700.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	112340  
Old 04 May 2016, 09:23   #52

Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
at the age you're looking at, I'd be far more concerened about condition rather than if it's a hardtop or station wagon, the station wagons always hold their value as they are less likely to have been used by farmers etc than a hard top. unlike many on here, I like the later Puma engined versions just as much as the earlier TD5s etc, and bearing in mind it's 9 years since they built any TD5s they are starting to get a bit long in the tooth, although there are still plenty of good ones about! I guess one of the benefits of the TD5s is that there are plenty of opertunities for extracting a bit more oomph from the engine, such as cam changes, bigger turbo's and intercoolers etc, they can be made to be reasonably sporty if that's your thing still, I'll stick to my ratty old tdci puma for now, bought it 6 months old as a demo model from the local dealership, it's not missed a beat so far but it's not been near the dealers since I bought it, local garage does all the servicing etc as they know more about them than the dealers do! there again, it get an easy life, doesn't tow much and only the occasional bit of off-roading ............
Been around Landys for many, many years, owned a few and currently run two TD5's - however never ever heard of TD5 cam changes???? Enlighten me..............
Old 04 May 2016, 09:49   #53

So I'm currently considering 2 local ones. Although different accounts I'm almost certain they're for the same "dealer":

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152048071527

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272220607673

And the reason I think they're the same "dealer":

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152061894940

(Love that pick up but too impractical)
Old 04 May 2016, 09:52   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Been around Landys for many, many years, owned a few and currently run two TD5's - however never ever heard of TD5 cam changes???? Enlighten me..............
not something I've done myself, but I'm led to believe that there are "options" for sportier cams, the TD5s have been around for a while now so the Land Rover clubs who race them will have explored any opertunity to tweak the motors, even just a mild tweak of the box of tricks under the seat, with a bigger intercooler and turbo adjustment will liven the performance, without going daft n risking any engine problems, plus a good aftermarket exhaust will let it breath easier the last of the TD5 discos were very different to the earliest ones, so there's room to improve the same motor in a 90
Old 04 May 2016, 10:00   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
So I'm currently considering 2 local ones. Although different accounts I'm almost certain they're for the same "dealer":

54 reg land rover defender 90 td5 | eBay

LAND ROVER DEFENDER TD5 90 VAN | eBay

And the reason I think they're the same "dealer":

Land Rover defender pick up TD5 90 | eBay

(Love that pick up but too impractical)
I'd go for the pickup and just take the truck cab body off n fit a full canvas, would look great with that body colour, plus it's got the body colour wheel arches so may have been ordered with other factory fitted extras
and yes, does look like they're from the same dealer
Old 04 May 2016, 10:09   #56

Quote:
I'd go for the pickup and just take the truck cab body off n fit a full canvas

I would love to, trust me... However, SIB plus engine under a canvas cover... No thanks... These things lack security as it is without worrying about what can be lifted from the back.

Also need to fit 1 extra seat.

So why do you think the vehicle with more mileage and steel wheels is more expensive?

(The guy is away so I've not spoken to him/them or viewed yet)
Old 04 May 2016, 10:16   #57

Engine: Scull
Quote:
not something I've done myself, but I'm led to believe that there are "options" for sportier cams, the TD5s have been around for a while now so the Land Rover clubs who race them will have explored any opertunity to tweak the motors, even just a mild tweak of the box of tricks under the seat, with a bigger intercooler and turbo adjustment will liven the performance, without going daft n risking any engine problems, plus a good aftermarket exhaust will let it breath easier the last of the TD5 discos were very different to the earliest ones, so there's room to improve the same motor in a 90
Thanks - but I understand how to tune a motor, one of my current td5's is naughty, but as I asked, where are these performance 'cams' that can be purchased and fitted to a TD5 - never seen them either fitted to a landy or advertised?
Old 04 May 2016, 12:29   #58

Quote:
Thanks - but I understand how to tune a motor, one of my current td5's is naughty, but as I asked, where are these performance 'cams' that can be purchased and fitted to a TD5 - never seen them either fitted to a landy or advertised?
I doubt the bits would be available off the shelf, most likely a limited number built to order, but I'll ask for you
Old 04 May 2016, 12:37   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
I would love to, trust me... However, SIB plus engine under a canvas cover... No thanks... These things lack security as it is without worrying about what can be lifted from the back.

Also need to fit 1 extra seat.

So why do you think the vehicle with more mileage and steel wheels is more expensive?

(The guy is away so I've not spoken to him/them or viewed yet)
think the canvas is probably more secure than the locked doors to be honest, n at least they'd do less damage getting in it's definitely going to be snug in the back with an additional seat + outboard + sib

maybe the one with the steel rims is in better condition than the one with ally's, like I said earlier, condition is far more important than mileage or trim level at that sort of age, I'd be giving them a really good looking over before buying, especially as it's sooooo easy to swap bits about to make them appear to be something there not ..........
Old 04 May 2016, 15:39   #60

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Engine: outboard
Quote:
you can't get performance cams for the td5 Looeylike yoda sed pipe, egr, injectors, hybrid turbo,ford ranger 3.2 ltd lump