Old 28 December 2018, 15:23   #1

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Kill cord

I don't know if an inboard diesel can be fitted with a kill cord, but this story is a reminder to all of us about what can happen if you fall over board and the boat carries on without you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-46700355
Old 28 December 2018, 16:37   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I just read that too - lucky to have survived without any serious injuries!

Most diesel RIB's will have killcords operating on the fuel shut off solenoid - mine certainly does. I suspect most marine diesels could have one fitted if people wanted, but many slower displacement/cabin/sailing boats maybe wouldn't see the need, although clearly you can still fall overboard.

Something like the fishing boat in this example is a bit harder - how long would the kill cord need to be to allow them to move around the deck whilst working, how would they not tangle it up with all the other lines/nets, etc. Unless they had one of those fancy radio/Bluetooth killcords that were advertised somewhere!
Old 28 December 2018, 18:27   #3

Length: 7m +
wow he was lucky, makes you realize the danger fisherman are in at sea, all to put fish on our tables, I have total respect for commercial fisherman, they do a very dangerous job with little or no praise from most of the public.
Old 29 December 2018, 10:42   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
The remote mentioned above would be the only realistic option for a fisherman working that type of boat whether netting or potting due to the reasons given by paulbrown.

That or working with a partner but paying someone else would make a serious hole in the finances so the smaller open commercial boats seen in many of the Cornish harbours generally work alone.
Old 29 December 2018, 10:46   #5

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
The remote mentioned above would be the only realistic option for a fisherman working that type of boat whether netting or potting due to the reasons given by paulbrown.
I agree.

However. If that boat stopped what was the chances of him managing to swim back to it and get back on board?

In which case he was probably rescued quicker than someone spotting a fishing boat drifting would have been!

A lifejacket and a PLB would be higher up my wish list if I was him than a remote switch
Old 29 December 2018, 16:07   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Indeed very luck the hoses held!

PLB and a radio on person as well as EPIRB on boat, are there some specific man over board systems for commercial operators ? Guess cost is always an issue!

Perhaps not so much.....
https://shop.tnorrismarine.co.uk/pro...iABEgJ7q_D_BwE