Old 04 August 2009, 05:28   #1

Town: tununak
Boat name: fv ravin madd
Make: achillis & avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboards
just bought a 4.6 sportboat typhoon

this one is a 1990 got it from a retired school teacher looked clean also got a low time merc 04 merc 50 two stroke hope this old girl is up to it anyone have a avon brand steering frame that was sold for this model well going to pick it up and drive it 180 miles home tru the lakes & rivers should be a grand trip anyone think the 50 merc is too much for it ? It is rated to 55hp I believe I read in the owners book well whis me luck and will let you know when I get it home how I liked it Kim
Old 04 August 2009, 12:25   #2

Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
Typhoon sounds like a model name. What brand is the boat?

Is motor 2 or 4 stroke?
2 stroke is lighter, so less stress on the transom.
2 stroke 50hp mercury weights 200lb, hopefuly you wont have to put that on the boat every trip.

Are you going to ride the boat for 180mi to your home?
If so I'd be a little caution riding something that does not have any history with me.

Sounds like a nice set up. Post some pics now!
Old 04 August 2009, 14:30   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Sounds like it should be a great boat & motor combination. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the boat and the return trip. Are you able to motor the distance continuously, or will you have to portage across any dams or rapids/falls? If the latter, you would definitely want to bring along a cart fitted with turf flotation tires & be prepared for some pretty substantial grunt work. How many fuel tanks will you be bringing & how far apart are the various refuelling spots?
Old 04 August 2009, 21:29   #4

Town: tununak
Boat name: fv ravin madd
Make: achillis & avon
Engine: outboards
trip stats

Ok there is more to this trip than meets the eye I have a 21 ft caralina skiff and can use it instead of the avon sportboat I also bought a 10.6 rib aquillis 310 and 9.8 nissan six years old but both stored in the wheelhouse of a 45 ft fishing boat at seward Ak I even got the brand new & name davits with the pakage I can haul both inflateabals in the 21 ft skiff as for gas tanks I have two new mirax.s 18 gal & a tempo 12 gal and a 30 gal polydrum with barb fitting so can run of the 30 first there is one gas stop then its 150 miles no gas stops or more like 130 miles . There is one portage a railroad about 150 yards long and another one instead over a beaver dam I am taking a warn winch with & snach block. I have made the trip befor with a older caralinea 21ft and 40 yamaha 2 stroke and with a 24 ft skiff same brand with 40 johnson . The aquillis can be a backup incase of motor fails I will pick so salmon berries and hunt some flightless geese & ducks only place in the world they let you do this that I know of only pike & white fish so wont fish any. I have it down pat I think have garmin 168 and hand held icoms to talk with aircraft if we need to and of course a weeks worth of grub and few jugs of crown royal and few cases of beer only for the night camps mind you Kim
Old 05 August 2009, 05:12   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Sounds like boating the way it is mean't to be done! Looking forward to the trip report - be sure to take lots of pictures. What will you have along for griz deterrence? Would an unplugged 870 marine (with slugs alternated with 00) be a suitable choice?