Old 04 October 2021, 14:27   #1

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Isle of Mull or Ardmucknish Bay

I know it's early to be talking about holidays in 2022 but I'm of the opinion that staying in the UK will still be as popular as it has been this year, especially as people have spent fortunes on new caravans & motorhomes over the past 18 months.

I'm thinking of spending the first 10 days of September in either Mull or Benderloch - Highfield Holiday Park to be precise.

I really fancy Mull, but is 10 days to long? Concerns would be non sibbing days. I'd be out on Redneck every day if it was just me, but the deal is one day sibbing one day walking/touring. Also concerned about inclement weather days, is there enough sheltered water if its blowing to much?
Am I better off staying at Benderloch and maybe visiting Mull. I think I know which way I'm leaning towards but learned peoples advice would be much appreciated.
Old 04 October 2021, 15:05   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
10 years isn’t long enough Steve you can go to the same place and it will be different each time. Plenty of shelter if you work around the winds. Loch Etive is 20 mile long for a start launch from taynult where Donny lives he’ll be along to give the full SP
Old 04 October 2021, 15:55   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Depends how comfortable you are towing a tin tent on small roads Steve. I can easily find just as much to do on Mull as there is at Ardmucknish bay.

Ardmucknish bay will hold your attention for 5 minute only though..but once you get out it ...

Personally..if me and I had to tow .... I would do 10 days at Highfield and explore Mull by Redneck. Its narrow twisty busy roads for towing on Mull ..or even driving ..but that appeals to some as it is very scenic.

I would suggest you take a small tent on the SIB so you can base yourself at Highfield and then wild camp the odd night over on Mull ?

Tobermory is easy in a day from Oban in a SIB and so is Loch Buie on Mull. Unfortunately the Ross is a long day to get there so best camped overnight.. and Balfours Bay can be difficult for the SIB if the waves are up during the night..which they often are.

So perhaps you could get a taster for Mull .. from Oban this year..then do Mull next year ?

No one can predict the weather but I can easily find sheltered areas in both Oban and Mull. Mull has that many small inlets and islands its easy to get a shore where wind and waves are off shore. Oban has Loch Etive ..Loch Leven etc if its wild for open sea

So Im afraid..its a difficult call ..choice is yours.. Im just glad I can spend all year in both places and don’t need to decide as its a tough call
Old 04 October 2021, 16:23   #4

Highfield booked 1st Sept for 10 days.
2 man tent will be packed in the caravan for any overnight camping on Mull, Diane may take a bit of convincing!
Advice much appreciated
Old 04 October 2021, 16:31   #5

Highfield is a lovely site Steve ..they spent a small fortune putting in new toilet blocks a couple years ago. Good Chip shop at Tralee and it has a slipway you can use..well.. assuming its calm cos its murder in a SW wind which is the prevalent wind direction..if so..nip round to Ganavan Sands and Launch there. However if reasonable weather you should be able to leave the SIB in the car park beside the Tralee slip if its not too busy..Should be safe enough as there is a barrier at the main gate. Drop me a PM when you are there is you want a wee adventure in company..Im never far
Old 04 October 2021, 16:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Highfield is a lovely site Steve ..they spent a small fortune putting in new toilet blocks a couple years ago. Good Chip shop at Tralee and it has a slipway you can use..well.. assuming its calm cos its murder in a SW wind which is the prevalent wind direction..if so..nip round to Ganavan Sands and Launch there. However if reasonable weather you should be able to leave the SIB in the car park beside the Tralee slip if its not too busy..Should be safe enough as there is a barrier at the main gate. Drop me a PM when you are there is you want a wee adventure in company..Im never far
Thanks for the offer Donny, I will definitely take you up on that
Old 04 October 2021, 16:54   #7

Its several years ago we made this trip Steve but you will know the actors in it ..and it gives a nice flavour of going from Oban to Balfors bay on the Ross of Mull ..so anything is possible ..weather dependant

Old 04 October 2021, 18:09   #8

How late in the year is it feasible to go out on Loch Etive in a Reasonable sized Sib ?
Old 04 October 2021, 18:32   #9

Its never to late in the year for my 2.75m inflatable with 6HP outboard James.

Sometimes I have to use it as an ice breaker as although its a sea loch at 400ft deep in places ..a lot of rain runs off the hills which floats on top of the water and freezes

So saying..I have not been on the loch this last week because its been too wet and windy for me anywhere.

My favourite time is the freezing cold winters days when the snow is on the hills and its flat calm. You can go anytime but also you cant guarantee anytime either ..but it sure is a pretty loch.

Although this video is early April.. It is boatable any time assuming its not blowing a hoolley

Old 04 October 2021, 19:19   #10

Quote:
Its several years ago we made this trip Steve but you will know the actors in it ..and it gives a nice flavour of going from Oban to Balfors bay on the Ross of Mull ..so anything is possible ..weather dependant

Another great video Donny, was that pre-microphone ?

I'm sure I saw that Motor Yacht at the start of the video anchored at Plockton when I was there in May.

I think I'd need to be solo to do Balfors Bay, 3.5 hrs max for Diane and the dog!

Would I be correct in estimating 1.45 hrs from Oban to Tobermory?
Old 05 October 2021, 22:16   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post

I really fancy Mull, but is 10 days to long? Concerns would be non sibbing days. I'd be out on Redneck every day if it was just me, but the deal is one day sibbing one day walking/touring. Also concerned about inclement weather days, is there enough sheltered water if its blowing to much?

I know you’ve already booked but I think questions like this are really difficult to answer - I know people who would happily spend two weeks on Mull never going afloat and say they were sad to leave, and others who would be bored after even a long weekend in good weather! Similarly the weather / conditions you might willingly endure on the boat are not always the same depending on who you are or who you have with you!

My tip for making spouses who like walks enjoy the boat more - find walking routes that you can access from the boat. IME you will win “brownie points” for getting them to an interesting start/end point for a journey they couldn’t do with a car!
Old 06 October 2021, 07:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I know you’ve already booked but I think questions like this are really difficult to answer - I know people who would happily spend two weeks on Mull never going afloat and say they were sad to leave, and others who would be bored after even a long weekend in good weather! Similarly the weather / conditions you might willingly endure on the boat are not always the same depending on who you are or who you have with you!

My tip for making spouses who like walks enjoy the boat more - find walking routes that you can access from the boat. IME you will win “brownie points” for getting them to an interesting start/end point for a journey they couldn’t do with a car!
Really like that tip Poly
Old 06 October 2021, 17:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslong View Post
How late in the year is it feasible to go out on Loch Etive in a Reasonable sized Sib ?
I though I would brave the elements and make sure I could still go boating in the back garden. Today was the first morning of frost..but this photo ..taken today at 9am..shows the loch is still very usable

Old 06 October 2021, 18:08   #14

Quote:
I though I would brave the elements and make sure I could still go boating in the back garden. Today was the first morning of frost..but this photo ..taken today at 9am..shows the loch is still very usable

Stunning Donny, I'm not jealous honest!
Old 06 October 2021, 19:04   #15

Just a suggestion of what you can do to fill a day Steve.. I left the house at 8.30 am.. took my brother a tour round Loch Etive ..then clambered 7 miles into the hills behind my house to a shrine. I suggest you take your Wifie there as its not only a lovely walk..but its a shrine to unrequieted Love ..called the Sheilding for Derdrie.. Im sure she would enjoy that. Thats Loch Etive below in the background

Old 06 October 2021, 21:35   #16

You're just an old romantic at heart Donny

Great suggestion, just think of the brownie points that will get me
Old 07 October 2021, 08:05   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
You're just an old romantic at heart Donny

Great suggestion, just think of the brownie points that will get me

Bonus points if she’s called Deirdre.
If however she’s not called Deirdre but you have a secretary (other stereotypes are available) called Deirdre you may “trip” at the top of a cliff on the way back!
Old 07 October 2021, 08:10   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslong View Post

It’s not so much about times of year it’s not feasible to go out as picking the weather, having the right gear and being aware you have much shorter day. The latter can be a particular surprise (despite being totally predictable) for visitors from the south in Dec / Jan. I’ve been out on L Linnhe (just round the corner from L Etive) when I had to shovel snow off the slipway, but it’s been crisp and clear. But I was wearing a thick flotation suit, with layers under it, hat gloves etc…
Old 07 October 2021, 09:00   #19

Im delighted to say Poly was wrong for once. He predicted I could have difficulty getting my TAX refund from HMRC.. I applied for it on line on Sunday..and it was in my bank account on Monday ..Yeah.. just wish waiting for the Outboard was as quick

However I do agree with his post above and will also add..Loch Etve is twenty miles long..and there are no public roads round it which makes it very remote... as its surrounded with hills often reaching 3000ft high. Off season..its totally silent up the loch for the simple reason..there is no one to make a noise..no traffic noise or even other boats.

I had the loch all to myself yesterday. Its only occasionally you see other boats here in the off season..and its not a busy place in high season either. As such..the standard safety cry of ..”make sure you have a handheld VHF” is totally useless..as is a mobile phone in most parts. I always wear my PLB which for my area is by far the most important piece of safety equipment. It can also save your live when walking the hills. I always have my AUX outboard too and it works. An Anchor is useless in 400Ft of water ..unless you fill the SIB with 1200ft of rope ..minimum

Although its been a couple of years since the last drowning ..people do loose their lives here .. Sea lochs are not the safe haven some may think. However..as mentioned earlier..Loch Etive sure is pretty on a nice off season day ..some more photos from yesterday.

Its only early October but I was getting cold after three hours on the water.. The water itself is still a warm 12 degrees C. Next time I go ..I suspect it will be drysuit for me.
Old 07 October 2021, 20:35   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Im delighted to say Poly was wrong for once. He predicted I could have difficulty getting my TAX refund from HMRC.. I applied for it on line on Sunday..and it was in my bank account on Monday ..Yeah.. just wish waiting for the Outboard was as quick

Although its been a couple of years since the last drowning ..people do loose their lives here .. Sea lochs are not the safe haven some may think. However..as mentioned earlier..Loch Etive sure is pretty on a nice off season day ..some more photos from yesterday.

Couldn’t be happier to be wrong. I’m about to embark on convincing them they owe me money…. I hope it’s as easy!