Old 29 June 2011, 21:34   #1

Town: dublin
Boat name: Zoe
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 25HP 4 stroke
Is this worth the money

Ladies and gents, I'm looking for my first outing into the world of RIBS and SIBS having spent my whole life in the yachting world I've owned a few yachts over the years including a Jeanneau 24.2 to present day GP14 sailing dinghy + 2.5HP for when the wind is slack.

Anyway I am based Dublin and came across this ad Zodiac with trailer and launching trolly for sale in Wicklow : €2,600 - DoneDeal.ie

I went for a viewing last night, saw the engine running seemed ok pull start, steering would only go full lock in one direction.

The guy selling was a bit vague on age of both boat and engine.

No patches and thrailer seemed extremly strong for the boat. He also has a the launching set up front and rear wheels and dolly.

I really appreciate any ones input good or bad.

Thanks Martin
Old 29 June 2011, 22:17   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Howya Martin, welcome to RIBnet!

Nice SIB, I used to dive out of those. With the console, controls and trailer, it's very attractive. Check that the inflatable keel tube is sound - I can't see it in the pic, which is a worry... The steering is going to be cable so can't be the biggest worry in the world. Probably needs new cables or a good service. I'd be checking the deck sections for damage too, especially where they fit to the rails along the tubes.

The engine on the other hand probably belonged to Noah and is worth squat. If it runs, it runs - bonus. I'd say do a compression test (not rocket science) and see it running.

If I were you, I'd price up the SIB and trailer (with console) as new and base the purchase decision on that. I really think the engine is a red herring, it's good if it goes, disregard it if it doesn't (unless you're a mech, but I'm thinking you're not )
Old 30 June 2011, 05:06   #3

Hi Willk, Thanks for the reply. The keel tube, does it run the length of the boat and how big ie depth should it be. There were only the two side tubes. Engine ran ok but only with the leg in a water butt. I'll check out the prices like you say and base it on that. Thanks Martin
Old 30 June 2011, 08:32   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjatkey View Post
Hi Willk, Thanks for the reply. The keel tube, does it run the length of the boat and how big ie depth should it be. There were only the two side tubes. Engine ran ok but only with the leg in a water butt. I'll check out the prices like you say and base it on that. Thanks Martin
It's yonks since I was in one, but the keel tube is under the deck and runs the length of the boat - it should be fatter at the front end, skinny at the back. It forces the bottom of the boat away from the deck and forms a rigidish keel. The boat won't function without it. If it's missing/burst, it will be a pricey replacement.

Again on the engine, working is a bonus. Testing it is only an issue if you're actually factoring in a value for it. Having a budget for an alternative motor might be more important! I'd not want to be spending much repairing that one. Poor compression on a cylinder would be a death warrant for it.
Old 30 June 2011, 17:01   #5

Thanks Willk, appreciate the advice. I'll give this one miss and do some more research. Thanks Martin