Old 09 December 2012, 09:44   #1

Town: Kingston, Tasmania
Length: no boat
Is 10hp enough to make a Zodiac Fastroller 360 plane

Hello. This is my first post. I have short-listed my choice for a sib and engine. It is a Zodiac Fastroller 360 (PVC flavoured) with a Tohatsu 9.8hp. The air floor boat weighs in at 44kg. I chose the Tohatsu because it is only 26kg - an important criteria for me. I understand a Mercury 9.8 is the same engine. Even though 10hp is the maximum recommended power for the boat, I have a hard time believing it will make it plane with the maximum 750 kg payload. Moving up to the Max allowed would be too heavy for me to lift. Has anyone ever loaded up a Fastroller 360 and tried to get it to plane with a 10hp?
Old 09 December 2012, 09:59   #2

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
I've got a 3.7 Futura fr which won't plane with my 9.8 even when there's only a single person onboard. The Futura is about 80kg though. However when I had an aerotec 380 it would plane easily with the 9.8. Is there any way you could try before you buy?
Old 09 December 2012, 10:12   #3

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
My futura planes easily with 25hp, but I doubt it would with 750kg on board, no chance with 10hp. I would think 10hp would easily get you on the plane with just a couple of not to porky adults though, what you carrying that will weigh 750kgs?
Old 09 December 2012, 12:51   #4

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
I had a 320 arib (high-pressure infaltable floor) which did plane with up to 2 people and a 9.9. At 3 people it started to struggle. I would suggest you need 15HP+.
Old 09 December 2012, 14:22   #5

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
My 3.10 wood-floored SIB with a wooden keel planes with one adult with 2 HP and it weights 50 KG

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2012, 15:24   #6

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mextli View Post
My 3.10 wood-floored SIB with a wooden keel planes with one adult with 2 HP and it weights 50 KG
Guess its panto season again, all together now

Oh no it doesnt
Old 09 December 2012, 15:47   #7

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Careful, he could be an Olympic rower.........
Old 09 December 2012, 17:56   #8

Town: London
I have just recently sold that exact set up 360 FR Acti-V, Tohatsu 9.8 4 Stroke. I can say that with two adults, full tank of fuel and sundry gear (including launch wheels) you can plane with ease.
Old 10 December 2012, 07:19   #9

Interesting. I am intending on using the 2-stroke which is 11kg lighter and should bring the boat 'out of the hole' a little easier. Were your launch wheels genuine Zodiac? If not, what brand? Were you happy with them? Had you ever loaded your 360 FR to the point that it didn't plane? How much gear was that? Than you in advance for your information. - RF
Old 10 December 2012, 09:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflatabob View Post
I have just recently sold that exact set up 360 FR Acti-V, Tohatsu 9.8 4 Stroke. I can say that with two adults, full tank of fuel and sundry gear (including launch wheels) you can plane with ease.
Can I ask you how long did it take you to get your 360 FR ready for the water from the time you parked your car? By that I mean unpack the boat, inflate it, mount the motor, connect the tank, mount the wheels, etc. I've heard widely varying claims. Honestly, how long does it take once you've done it, say 5 times? Also, why did you sell the boat, and what have you replaced it with?
Old 10 December 2012, 16:39   #11

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Is 10 hp enough to plane a Zodiac........?

We have a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke on our Avon 311 Rib. With a full tank of fuel and 2 of us ( 12 stone and 9 stone) it flies. Hope that helps.
Old 10 December 2012, 16:49   #12

Make: Zodiac
I plan to use a 9.9 or 10hp 2 Stroke on my 310 FS.

I expect to be a lento plane with ease. I'd imagine a 360 would too.
Old 10 December 2012, 17:19   #13

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonTAS View Post
Can I ask you how long did it take you to get your 360 FR ready for the water from the time you parked your car? By that I mean unpack the boat, inflate it, mount the motor, connect the tank, mount the wheels, etc. I've heard widely varying claims. Honestly, how long does it take once you've done it, say 5 times? Also, why did you sell the boat, and what have you replaced it with?
Im going to chip in with my experience.

I got my 360 FR about a month ago. I've inflated it about 4 times in the garage for practice.

First time I was struggling with a few things (the manual is not very clear in some places), the front intl bucket was very stiff and working out what fitting to use where and with 2 of us we got it nearly (not enough to ride in but enough to see its shape) inflated in a little over an hour.

Get yourself an electric pump...and make sure it has a high pressure mode for the floor.

Next time, with electric pump, fully inflated in about 10 minutes. Now its somewhere between 5 and 8 minutes I guess. But I have to add the struggle time with the intl bucket at the front so I guess, add a couple of minutes for that. I have been told that it should not be that hard.

I've only once got it out the bag, which was easy as the bag folds off the boat in 30 seconds. So don't think thats going to be an issue.

I don't have my engine just yet, but its not going to be more than 5 minutes to fix that up after the first time.

I've looking at wheels that stay attached to the boat. So no time to fit and 10 seconds to put into their down and then up position.

I recon, without manhandling the boat into position, it will be unpacked and ready to go in under 15 minutes.

Putting it away, one failed attempt so far. I left too much air in the tubes and aborted it and its been too cold to retry since then. With electric pump, I guess its going to take 5-10 minutes to deflate and repack in the bag.
Old 10 December 2012, 19:19   #14

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
!5 minutes from boot of car to running on the water. 8HP Mariner 2T gets 285 Zody planing with 24 stone on board ( that's two adults.......not just me!!!!!!!) 50 litres of fuel plus a few other odds. Needs weight shifting forwards at WOT but settles within seconds and simply skims along.......thoroughly enjoyable.
Old 10 December 2012, 20:10   #15

Town: Hampshire
I have a FR340 with a Tohatsu 9.8 - gets on plane fine with 2 'normal' sized adults but not 2 chunky monkeys. The FR340 or 360 will take a 15hp easily. In fact a friend has this setup and it flies.
Old 10 December 2012, 22:27   #16

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
struggled to plane 35 ish stone with a 10hp on my 3m,hey were heavy boned lol setup time rear of car to on water 30 mins ish with slats as the floor... i practiced in the garden a few times
Old 10 December 2012, 22:28   #17

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Which 9./10 HP brand is that engine ? Probably could pass it to 15, will better your overall boating performance with a 360 sib...

Happy Boating
Old 10 December 2012, 22:32   #18

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Which 9./10 HP brand is that engine ? Probably could pass it to 15, will better your overall boating performance with a 360 sib...

Happy Boating
would agree with loco go for a 15 but holy cow it seems to weigh a ton and mines a 2 stroke !
Old 11 December 2012, 12:24   #19

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
In most cases the 9.9/10 HP are detuned versions of the 15, are same size, weight & CC. The ease of update and cost will depend entirely on the brand, go for a Tohatsu 9.9 D2 and update it for peanuts...

Happy Boating
Old 22 December 2012, 09:19   #20

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflatabob View Post
Assuming that your Tohatsu 9.8 and my Mariner 9.9 short is all but identical, do you by any chance know how far the outboard extended below the transom? I'm trying to choose some launch wheels at the moment and want to know how much clearance I would get between the outboard when down and the ground assuming the wheels extend below the transom by 298mm.

Thanks