Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 05 July 2020, 09:27   #1

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Insurance (Sorry!) for mixed use - i.e. mooring, pontoon, marina

Hi,
I am trying to sort some insurance for my SIB.

Basically it is kept at home except for holidays, when I go on holiday I tend to inflate and leave it launched, either paying for a pontoon berth or a dinghy park. All of the policies I am seeing you have to state one storage location or another.

I am sure I looked at craftinsure last summer and the policy said something along the lines of "will be left unattended for less than 24 hours" which would have suited me fine, as I check or use the boat every day when on Hholiday. But I have just checked the current wording on their website and it says "The boat will only be left moored or anchored unattended, in non tidal waters", which basically prevents any use on the sea unless you are pulling it out every evening.

I also looked at Porthcawl, on that site you just have to pick one mooring / storage type. I don't mind paying for whatever they deem to be the highest risk, but I don't want to use my "initiative" select one and then be told I'm not insured if I store it somewhere else on occasion.

I assume other people must use the boat in this way. Are there any good companies that people recommend? Many thanks.
Old 05 July 2020, 09:38   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Craftinsure will amend and adjust the policy for any length of time and out of wording use (ie kept on a tidal jetty for a week on holiday) - just call them.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/rib-sib...nce-80592.html
Old 05 July 2020, 09:59   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As Max says just Email Craftinsure for a quote on what you need in the way of cover.

As in the thread linked by Max I now will always insure with them on the basis of an amendment to leave the SIB moored on tidal waters at any time between 1st April and 15th October. It's way cheaper overall doing this than picking several shorter occasions and means you don't have to worry about remembering to upgrade for a specific holiday or outing.
Old 05 July 2020, 10:16   #4

Thanks for the replies. I will give them a call in the week when they are open.
Old 05 July 2020, 19:01   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
I also looked at Porthcawl, on that site you just have to pick one mooring / storage type. I don't mind paying for whatever they deem to be the highest risk, but I don't want to use my "initiative" select one and then be told I'm not insured if I store it somewhere else on occasion.

I assume other people must use the boat in this way. Are there any good companies that people recommend? Many thanks.

Website isn’t the best ring and speak to them if necessary ask Steve to call you back to discuss your specific requirements.
Old 09 July 2020, 08:52   #6

Thanks for the help. I have got this sorted with craftinsure. The basic insurance was ~£55, but I've paid for an add on (which I had to organise over the phone) for an additional ~£38 that allows for tidal mooring from April til October. I actually got this tweaked, as the standard add-on was until October 15th (I think) but I wanted the end of October as school half term this year is 3rd week in October and this will probably be when I last take it away this year.

I was very impressed that they were so flexible allowing alterations to the standard policy.
Old 09 July 2020, 11:49   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I've found craftinsure to be very good - been with them since 2007. I'm normally launch and retrieve, but have added short-term anchorages in the past, such as Summer Isles last year when it was moored at Ardmair Point for 4 days.

Just watch they don't make it a regular annual addition to you policy unless you decline.