Old 07 April 2009, 18:25   #1

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Inflatable Boat fabrics

I'm thinking of chopping in my Redcrest for something of similar size but with a rigid transom and bigger (dryer!) tubes.
Looking on Ebay I can see lots of new(ish) boats for not too much money. There are Plastimo, Wetline, Waveline, Tidal Wave and so on. The thing is that they aren't Hypalon. Does anyone know how long they last? Are they easy to repair? Or would I be best to keep my near perfect 30 year old Redcrest?
Thanks.
Old 07 April 2009, 19:55   #2

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymillard View Post
I'm thinking of chopping in my Redcrest for something of similar size but with a rigid transom and bigger (dryer!) tubes.
Looking on Ebay I can see lots of new(ish) boats for not too much money. There are Plastimo, Wetline, Waveline, Tidal Wave and so on. The thing is that they aren't Hypalon. Does anyone know how long they last? Are they easy to repair? Or would I be best to keep my near perfect 30 year old Redcrest?
Thanks.
Well my 2 pence worth is ,if you have the dosh ,go for hypalon ,saying that my decitex material dinghy is the nuts to me ,ive scraped it a few times on slips ,and i fish on it ,i am very carfull with the hooks and allways inflate it on a folded tarpaulin ,its a seago ,so proberly the same material ,but i do believe they are made a lot better then they use to be, so im told,,,,,, ive really looked after mine and it looks as new as i brought it and not one patch,,,,,,best of luck in what ever you do
Old 08 April 2009, 03:42   #3

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
We've been selling inflatables now for 40 years and have found that the Zodiac PVC inflatables will last a good 15 years of cared for use. Hypalon boats will last a good 30 years. The cheaper craft hitting the market nowadays generally last 8-10 years. If the boat is left in the sun all year round, then halve the above figures.