Old 06 August 2018, 16:34   #1
MCL

Town: Stamford
Length: 3m +
How would you deal with this?

Having had a great day out on the water at the north Norfolk coast had a little anoyance at the end of the day.

I was packing up my SIB in the boat car park, and my boat was lying across the back of my van on its transome wheels. The back of my 3.2m SIB was obstructing an adjacent vehicle, I was working at the back of my vehicle and was within touching distance of my SIB.

I turned around to the sound of scraping to see the owner of the adjacent car dragging the boat across the gravel... to clarify he had sort of half lifted the front of the boat on its transome wheels so the inflatable keel was being dragged on the gravel.

He said I'm moving your boat it's blocking my car. I said no need to drag it, to which he replied better than me running it over. I said you could have just asked me move it, I'm stood right next to it.

Anyway he drove off, I'm not that bothered about it I just though he was rather rude. Anyway has anyone else had any issues similar, how would you feel / react if it was your boat?
Old 06 August 2018, 16:50   #2

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Make sure no witnesses then ........
Old 06 August 2018, 17:04   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>how would you feel / react if it was your boat?

Very annoyed... but reflect there are bigger fights in life to concentrate on... and that he's the twat and I'm the OK guy.

Elevated confrontation over the small things... for me... is a waste of breath, time and brain space.
Old 06 August 2018, 17:11   #4
MCL

Indeed. I think you have bit the nail on the head fenlander. Rise above it but it makes me feel better to have my feeling validated by other SIB owners! Lol
Old 06 August 2018, 19:37   #5

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
rise above it my arse I would have probably kicked his car then punched him up and down the car park grow a spine he sounds like a bully
Old 06 August 2018, 20:29   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I have to pack up in what is often a busy area. I'm very careful about where I put my sh1t. If I had to block a car then I'd keep a VERY close eye in case the owner returned. If/once present, I'd say hello and ask if they were going anywhere in the next few minutes and could I spread out a bit. Most people will say OK.

This incident sounds like lack of communication and courtesy to me - both sides lacking IMO. Of course, I wasn't there. Blocking a car with the driver inside is bound to end badly. So is sitting on the tubes of my dinghy when the wheels are down as "it looked comfy and there are no seats on this pier"...

"Hop it missus!"
Old 06 August 2018, 20:33   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Make sure no witnesses then ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
...I would have probably kicked his car then punched him up and down the car park...
Thumper and Basher!
Old 06 August 2018, 21:16   #8

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Thumper and Basher!
its called the direct approach
Old 06 August 2018, 21:21   #9
MCL

Lol well it has been interesting to see everyones response, one thing is clear tho and that is that most feel that such actions are rather emotive!

Maybe I did escalate the situation be parking where I did, although my only options were to block the car to left, right or the road itself. However maybe better communication could have avoided someone dragging my £1500 zodiac about. I will certainly be more vigilant to it next time!
Old 08 August 2018, 09:21   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> my only options were to block the car to left, right or the road itself. However maybe better communication...

We've had a version of this many times in busy locations. Such as once in Scotland where like you the only place to set up was at the back of the car overlapping the adj car blocking them in. And sods law just into the inflation procedure the owners appear. But they had my relaxed attitude to life and said another five mins wait to avoid me dragging it about part inflated was no problem. In fact the guy said he was interested to see it set up and chatted until I could fit the transom wheels and move it away.

Although it didn't affect us with just one set up and take down in two weeks the car park (adj slipway) wars in busy Cornwall this year were quite tense. We had a residents permit for the public car park to cover the holiday period. Once when I went back and sat in the drivers seat inputting some satnav journeys I noticed a car hovering and my concentration was broken by the driver knocking on my window in an irritated way saying "you going soon or what".

Then there was the lady who was standing in the middle of the only free space as we returned from shopping one Sat am. Guessing her game I carefully but purposefully reversed into the space with her attempting to stand her ground. She hassled us that she'd saved it for her husband who would be along in their car soon.

We are lifetime animal owners from guinea pigs to horses and you put too many of them in too small a space and there's always trouble… likewise with people at many popular launch locations in peak periods it seems.
Old 08 August 2018, 10:43   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
your supposed to ask before touching other people's property it would have been a few seconds for you to swing the boat out of the way but he didnt give you chance he's just a knobhead. i would have took his number and made a claim for damage to the boat if it had been damaged.
Old 08 August 2018, 18:28   #12

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Wise man he say, "Best defence, no be there." Avoid the situation.

You will come across people like that in all walks of life: completely self centred, arrogant, passive aggressive or confrontational, with little or no impulse control, and a complete sense of self justification.

Certain types of boater are very much like that. Most aren't.

Try not to block the slipway, or anyone else's vehicle.

If you have to block something, there's an argument for doing it cleverly. If he'd had to move your anchor box and fuel tank before he could move the boat, you would have had warning and could have intervened with a, "Sorry mate, I didn't see you coming back. I'll shift it."

Alternatively, keep an eye open and as soon as someone approaches, speak first: "Do you need me to move this? I'll only be 2 minutes."

Most people will react well to a friendly overture before they've got up on their back legs. Once they've gone into angry mode, most people struggle to back down.

Reacting aggressively will never make the situation better, even if you win. If you lose, then it's made it worse. And if he has mates with him you get hurt, or his wife films you on her mobile while you're shouting, suddenly you look like the bad guy.
Old 09 August 2018, 08:15   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Given the general observation skills displayed in car parks I think you did well that he even noticed it was there rather than simply reverse over the boat.
Old 09 August 2018, 10:38   #14
MCL

I definitely think that the old phrase " 2 wrongs don't make a right" can be sound advise.....

However I admit I struggled to keep my cool as it just seemed so unnecessary.

I think there has been some useful points from this thread tho:

1. Try to avoid the situation by communication with people early as kindly as possible.

2. Don't allow the opertunity to get to expensive bits of kit untill they have had to move cheap / durable bits of kit first.

3. It someone does act inappropriately, provoking them is unlikely to improve the situation.
Old 09 August 2018, 16:43   #15

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
I just got a chewing out by a man in his boat who told me to prep my boat before I get on the ramp. True, but 1- no one was around, 2- I prep fast & 3- I left 2/3 of the ramp open for a second large boat. I pointed this out that its a two boat ramp and he replied his wife needs both sides of the ramp because she can't back up!
I just started to laugh along with the guy fishing on the dock.