Old 18 February 2021, 10:38   #21

Town: Dorset
Length: 6m +
I had a bike stolen from right outside my tent while camping which was secured with a python type cable. They can be cut incredibly easy with little noise or fuss. For that reason I wouldn't even consider using one on my SIB for any sort of peace of mind.

I take the fuel hose if leaving for a short stop which I know wouldn't stop someone rowing it away but it might make it less attractive than one next to it. Visible, chunky padlock attaching engine and decent insurance cover.

If leaving overnight I use a chain but only if its somewhere you know won't cause an issue to others.
Old 18 February 2021, 11:06   #22

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
Totally agree with that. Peace of mind is priceless.
I’ll buy the python and the audible one, also a transome lock to keep the insurers happy. Also thinking of a gps tracker.
I checked with craftinsure and they can do a policy with an added extra for unattended tidal waters.
Just wandering how others get on when visiting coastal villages and going to a restaurant for something to eat, surely they don’t all stay with their boats.
Old 18 February 2021, 11:23   #23

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSAC View Post
I had a bike stolen from right outside my tent while camping which was secured with a python type cable. They can be cut incredibly easy with little noise or fuss. For that reason I wouldn't even consider using one on my SIB for any sort of peace of mind.
You don't actually know how easy because you were asleep. Probably easy though. Pre-planned theft with croppers? More effort with a hacksaw?

A chain is heavy and needs to be plastic sheathed to avoid damage. For me the Python strikes the right balance between ease of storage, use and security.

Fuel prices make a tank of petrol quite appealing. Has to be secured IMHO. Don't want to give the scumbags free laps of the supermarket car park.
Old 18 February 2021, 11:53   #24

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
We have been doing this for about 20 years & the only precaution we take is removing the kill cord, never had any bother in anywhere we have visited which has mainly been around Cornwall & Scotland but i guess it depends a lot on where you go boating
Similarly, we've sailed our yacht extensively around the UK/Channel Islands/France, and never had any issues with the dinghy/outboard. If we don't like the feel of a place for some reason, we might not leave the dinghy alone on the shore and one of us takes it back to the boat, or stays within sight of it on the shore, but that's pretty rare for us - it will commonly sit somewhere for an entire day while we're exploring by foot/bike.

If anything, I'd be more concerned that the yacht itself is effectively tied on to a pontoon, buoy or anchor with a few bits of string/chain, and anyone can pretty much walk up to it and either just cast it adrift, or with the help of a screwdriver probably get it started and motor off!

I completely appreciate the security concern, and I guess just treat boats as being very different to cars, and think they are impossible to secure as well. Even if you lock the dinghy and/or engine, what about the oars, fuel tank, any other kit, etc. Saying that, we religiously lock the yacht companionway hatch when we leave, but obviously all the deck gear people could just walk up to and take if they felt like it.

The most annoying I had was on a small island in Brittany to come back and find a small French girl using our pristine Avon Redstart (which was sitting on the shore) as a trampoline while her parents sat on a bench beside and watched... I think I exercised some French words not used in my A-level exam!
Old 18 February 2021, 11:57   #25

Hahaha I can just imagine what the words meant, I’m sure they would of understood if you’d said them in English.
Old 18 February 2021, 13:20   #26

One additional thing I did with my SIB was to buy and stencil a large Canal and Rivers Authority Index number on one side. If I lived near the Broads or the Thames I would get a number from those authorities instead.

It won't stop it being stolen but makes it less attractive and reduces the resale value for them.
Old 18 February 2021, 13:38   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dummy post to force pagination properly. Please ignore
Old 18 February 2021, 13:54   #28

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Dummy post to force pagination properly. Please ignore
There's a few that need this as their signature.
Old 18 February 2021, 14:17   #29

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Boating is supposed to be fun ,welll unless you live up country a bit it would appear ! ,if you go through life worrying about everything it will spoil the pleasure and its funny how you attract the problems like a magnet ,as someone else said insure your gear ,dont offer detail they dont ask for and read the small print to be sure of your cover , if your that worried drop the family off and go out and anchor up and swim in or use a lilo
Old 18 February 2021, 14:38   #30

I didn’t understand what poly meant, looked in the dictionary for the word pagination and still don’t understand.
I’m not going to worry too much as I will insure it and have a few deterrents and as usual I’ve learned a few things again today from this forum.
Old 18 February 2021, 14:47   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
I didn’t understand what poly meant, looked in the dictionary for the word pagination and still don’t understand.
I’m not going to worry too much as I will insure it and have a few deterrents and as usual I’ve learned a few things again today from this forum.
There's a problem on the forum where occasionally a new post doesn't appear on a new page. I'd call it a bug, but I'm sure "Tech Admin" would describe it as something like a Database Indexing Error! Anyway - I can't fix the problem - but I can (usually) dupe the forum into playing nice again by posting in the thread...

...I'm afraid I don't have any helpful advice on preventing theft other than not using your boat in the dodgy parts of the country, and take the kill cord will stop the drunks!
Old 18 February 2021, 15:03   #32

Thank you for the explanation poly, I appreciate it.
Old 18 February 2021, 22:09   #33

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>how others get on when visiting coastal villages and going to a restaurant for something to eat, surely they don’t all stay with their boats.

I judge each location... some I'd leave the SIB all day out of sight and others I sit in it and the family bring me a drink/ice cream back..... the latter being an extreme example and we rarely visit places that make us that nervous.

But loads of places allow us to keep a casual eye on the boat without much trouble by choosing a waterfront eatery.
Old 18 February 2021, 23:00   #34

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Take kill cord, anchor in waist deep water (at least on a fallling tide) and keep an eye on the mooring//beach more for tide dropping than anything else as once dry I’d be waiting for the next tide ...

Only issue I have ever had was someone swiped a go pro while I left it unattended, I was 50feet away on the beach biggest issue is kids thinking anything near the shore is put there for there amusement to climb on and jump off
Old 20 February 2021, 08:20   #35

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
Just wandering how others get on when visiting coastal villages and going to a restaurant for something to eat, surely they don’t all stay with their boats.
I was told that the best form of insurance is that there will always be a better boat in the boatyard
(I have real insurance as well)

I leave mine tied up and just relax and forget about it. The chances of any theft happening are low. Most harbours now have CCTV, which makes it unappealing for theives and even if they do try their luck, chances are, if they do, it will be on someone else's boat.

Most of my time on holiday now is spent pointing out better boats to the missus "look at that 18hp Tohatsu, the're like hen's teeth...." it makes me realise that my pride and joy sib is often the cheapest boat in the harbour.
Old 20 February 2021, 09:18   #36

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I really hate selfish boaters who chain or padlock their craft to busy pontoons - usually on very short lengths - preventing others from landing or berthing - please don't do it (those who have very short painters with the same impact on others fall into the same category).

In my SIB I have a padlock through the the clamp screws and a cable lock round the fuel tank. I take the kill cord away with me and don't leave stuff in it.
Old 20 February 2021, 10:36   #37

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
How to prevent outboard or sib from theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I really hate selfish boaters who chain or padlock their craft to busy pontoons - usually on very short lengths - preventing others from landing or berthing - please don't do it (those who have very short painters with the same impact on others fall into the same category)..

Exactly[emoji106] it’s rude & inconsiderate imo. Anyone whose boat gets damaged because they’ve chained it in place (unless it’s their private mooring) deserves all they get. Nothing to do with “nay saying” just common courtesy.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 11:25   #38

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
How to prevent outboard or sib from theft

I remember motoring across the bay to St Mawes aged 12 in my Avon redcrest.

Some friendly boater saw me crudely tying my painter to the top of the bollard at the tender parking steps, preventing anyone else from lifting their painter eye off in the process.

He very kindly taught me how to tie a bowline and thread it up through the bottom of everyone else’s loops, meaning they can easily lift over their own loop without faffing about with wet knots.

Never forgot it since. Little common courtesy makes boating better for everyone!

Chains and locks are probably not the best way to go about doing that at a dinghy park. Probably impossible to do at a busy one anyway.

Deterrence is the best approach IMHO, outboard locks and removing valuables, etc. But a determined thief will find a way no matter what, if they really want it.

Insurance and vigilance (or vigilante if you’re that way inclined) are the way forward me thinks.
Old 20 February 2021, 12:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Exactly[emoji106] it’s rude & inconsiderate imo. Anyone whose boat gets damaged because they’ve chained it in place (unless it’s their private mooring) deserves all they get. Nothing to do with “nay saying” just common courtesy.
If I'm mooring at a country pub and see youths sitting on the bank who look like trouble eyeing my boat up then I'm unapologetic. I'm going to secure it or else move on. If someone damages it (rafting or otherwise) and I have proof then I'm calling the police.

I've never had to lock my boat up so far. However not everywhere is a low crime area. Obviously this is a last resort used with discretion. Common sense over common courtesy is a sad reflection of our times.

Simply can't rely on bystanders who haven't got a clue or don't want to get involved. They'll just keep on feeding the ducks with the kids.

I've even got a fellow boat owner a round of drinks for them to look after it or raft up with them. I'll take my chance returning to an irate boat owner rather than take on several agressive youths nicking my boat. At least I'll still have one.
Old 20 February 2021, 13:28   #40

Thanks for all the ideas, and how to be courteous to other boat owners, I now have a pretty good idea on what I’m going to do to make it a deterrent. No matter how you try to protect something, anyone that’s determined will have it. So with that in mind I’ll get insurance, and whatever they require me to do plus a couple of cable locks just to make it more difficult for any would be thief.

Tags
outboard, sib