Old 09 September 2016, 10:31   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
How many hours this summer

Just totted up our hours sibbing this summer. I reckon 30, not bad going. Hopefully not the end of it either although I can't see too many calm days before winter. Will be checking my gear oil this weekend to see how it's faired, then doing a carb stripdown.

Simon
Old 09 September 2016, 14:49   #2

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Sibbing none

Ribbing about 30ish possibly 35, but certainly NOT ENOUGH, and next year must improve !!
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2016, 15:13   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
57 in my 7m and we're not done yet. Hope the fall weather holds up.

Jason
Old 09 September 2016, 15:26   #4
RIBnet Supporter

90hrs so far - three weeks left to go to make it 100!

I've been careful this year about not running the engine alongside for too long - so the 90 hours are all good ones
Old 09 September 2016, 16:35   #5

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
If I get less than 100hrs in , it's been a bad year. About 100 so far and plenty of year left....Loch Lomond tomorrow
Old 09 September 2016, 18:31   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If I get less than 100hrs in , it's been a bad year. About 100 so far and plenty of year left....Loch Lomond tomorrow
i thought the weather was to be bollox tomorrow
Old 09 September 2016, 19:11   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
i thought the weather was to be bollox tomorrow
Tuts! http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdo...d/forecast.pdf
Old 09 September 2016, 19:12   #8

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Looks okay now. Bit breezy but okay
Old 09 September 2016, 19:16   #9

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
were going to oban - the boat her indoors said the weather was to be crap so we never took the boat out of storage damn n blast it doesn't look too bad
Old 09 September 2016, 19:30   #10

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
One of the perks of being a full time adventurer is ... I am on the water every day possible.

I have no idea how many hours that has been this year.. it could be anything between 400 and 600 ..or I could be totally wrong in that estimation altogether.. as hours mean nothing to me.

I started in Early March and have probably being at sea an average three days a week . Sometimes more..but seldom less.

Sometimes I go on my own..sometimes with kayaking friends.. sometimes other Sibbers. Day trips or multi day trip..the longest this year lasting a week at sea...I boat and camp as I go. Possibly eaten more mackerel in the past two months than the average seal too.

I attended the Ribnet Scottish SIB outing and have just returned from the F Rib & SIB Scottish SIB outing. Have met in person around 25 members for both forums and boated..partied and fished with them. You guys know who you are ..and Im sure you will agree..we all had a ball ..and didn’t count hours then either

For info only ..

Furthest North I got this year was Loch Laxford ..way up near the top of Scotland

Followed by the Summer Isles and Ullapool area

All the islands to the North east of Skye ..example Rassay .. Rona ..Pabay .. Scalpay ..Longay ..Crowlins .. not to mention 2/3 way round Skye itself

Mallaig and Arisaig area in a heatwave of 26 degrees C ..in March !!

Many sea lochs around that area..example Loch Hourn..Loch Nevis.. Loch Eil .. Loch Linnhe .. Loch Leven ..Loch Ailort ..Loch Sunart ..to name a few

Parts of Mull..including the Sound of Mull

Iona and the Ross of Mull

A lot of the Firth of Clyde including its sea Lochs ..example Loch Fyne ..Loch Striven..loch Long .. Loch Goil etc..plus the Islands in the Clyde.. Bute .. Great and Small Cumbrae ..Arran and Ailsa Craig

I have not done much in the Mull of Galloway area yet..but heading down that way next week

However I have done parts of the Solway Firth ..which is the furthest south I have been this year

Most ..but not all locations ..have been in my 9 foot long F Rib powered by a 6hp four stroke.

Perhaps I will join in the missing dots and lines around the west coast of mainland Scotland this year.. perhaps not..Im in no hurry.

It is just great being retired... and knowing ..time means nothing.

PS Breezeblock..it was lumpy at Ganavan Sands today..but fine in Loch Leven and Loch Etive.. tomorrow should be ok too However it was very heavy rain at times
Old 09 September 2016, 19:36   #11

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
125 hrs on the Ribcraft I bought in May, about 100 hours on the Tornado between 1st Jan and end April when I sold it. Remind me I must get more of those WD40 supplements to stop me going rusty
Old 10 September 2016, 08:50   #12

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
So far only about 5 hours, hope to clock up some more before the year ends or the sib ends up for display purposes only. Great photos Gurnard, you've been busy.. Sound of Mull looks interesting, was that wave in a regular pattern or a one off?
Old 10 September 2016, 09:52   #13

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
The waves were fairly regular Yabadabadoo. It was gusting Force 6 ..and wind against tide scenario. Possibly around 5 or 6 feet high at times.. you can see one coming up behind me in this photo..the wide angle lens tends to reduce their height though. There are rounded ones just as large between me and the one breaking..but cameras tend to flatten the sea unless they are ready to break.

I was going with the waves so it was enjoyable..but had to sit just behind the crests in case they broke and I went crashing over the tops.

My original plan was to cross the sound at this location to get to Tobermory for supplies ..but decided to keep going with the wave direction.

Simply because the waves don’t look as bad from the back of them.

I didn’t take any photos in the real rough bits as I didn’t want to risk getting my camera soaked..its not waterproof. Eventually I pulled over to wait the waves to diminish ... dried myself off in front of a big fire .. gulping tins of cool Guinness to keep warm..while watching the sun set over Ardnamurchan point. It was a hard days work ..but another summer memory I will never forget.

And though I have spent a lot of time on the sea this year.. you can take some consolation ... in the fact that I have not earned a penny.. although I have possibly ... only spent all summer.. around what you guys earn in a week
Old 10 September 2016, 17:38   #14

I'm not sure how many hours I've been out for but I've had brilliant trips to knoydart, skye, glenuig, handa island, mull and iona. The frib has been great and it's the best 2k I have ever spent. And here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529008541.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	115842   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529024863.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	115843   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529045852.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	115844   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529064720.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	115845   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529082662.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	115846  

Old 10 September 2016, 17:44   #15

I'm lucky enough to be on a career break so I've had the luxury of going away with the boat whenever the weather is good. I'm sure I'm baised but I think the west coast of Scotland must be one of the best places in the world to have a boat. It's fantastically remote and has amazing beaches and coastline and of course the tides and sometimes rough seas can give things an edge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529180929.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	115847   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529209493.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	115848   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529230734.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	115849   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529248445.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	115850   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473529283795.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	115851  

Old 10 September 2016, 17:46   #16

Donny those waves look big, we had similar weather going round the north side of the ross of mull, I wouldn't have been keen to be in anything much bigger and my girlfriend was pretty scared at one point !
Old 11 September 2016, 08:28   #17

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
My 30 hours is sounding part time in comparison now! Mind you in the context of working a 65 hour week and a family who don't always want to go boating it's not bad.
Old 11 September 2016, 08:49   #18
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Nowhere near enough this year again, but this time it's the unfortunate combination of crap weather coinciding with most days off.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 08:56   #19

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
About five hrs this summer I hope to double it on Wednesday as I have my outboard back together now
Tsm
Old 11 September 2016, 09:11   #20

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
One of the perks of being a full time adventurer is ... I am on the water every day possible.

I have no idea how many hours that has been this year.. it could be anything between 400 and 600 ..or I could be totally wrong in that estimation altogether.. as hours mean nothing to me.

I started in Early March and have probably being at sea an average three days a week . Sometimes more..but seldom less.

Sometimes I go on my own..sometimes with kayaking friends.. sometimes other Sibbers. Day trips or multi day trip..the longest this year lasting a week at sea...I boat and camp as I go. Possibly eaten more mackerel in the past two months than the average seal too.

I attended the Ribnet Scottish SIB outing and have just returned from the F Rib & SIB Scottish SIB outing. Have met in person around 25 members for both forums and boated..partied and fished with them. You guys know who you are ..and Im sure you will agree..we all had a ball ..and didn’t count hours then either

For info only ..

Furthest North I got this year was Loch Laxford ..way up near the top of Scotland

Followed by the Summer Isles and Ullapool area

All the islands to the North east of Skye ..example Rassay .. Rona ..Pabay .. Scalpay ..Longay ..Crowlins .. not to mention 2/3 way round Skye itself

Mallaig and Arisaig area in a heatwave of 26 degrees C ..in March !!

Many sea lochs around that area..example Loch Hourn..Loch Nevis.. Loch Eil .. Loch Linnhe .. Loch Leven ..Loch Ailort ..Loch Sunart ..to name a few

Parts of Mull..including the Sound of Mull

Iona and the Ross of Mull

A lot of the Firth of Clyde including its sea Lochs ..example Loch Fyne ..Loch Striven..loch Long .. Loch Goil etc..plus the Islands in the Clyde.. Bute .. Great and Small Cumbrae ..Arran and Ailsa Craig

I have not done much in the Mull of Galloway area yet..but heading down that way next week

However I have done parts of the Solway Firth ..which is the furthest south I have been this year

Most ..but not all locations ..have been in my 9 foot long F Rib powered by a 6hp four stroke.

Perhaps I will join in the missing dots and lines around the west coast of mainland Scotland this year.. perhaps not..Im in no hurry.

It is just great being retired... and knowing ..time means nothing.

PS Breezeblock..it was lumpy at Ganavan Sands today..but fine in Loch Leven and Loch Etive.. tomorrow should be ok too However it was very heavy rain at times

Hi Gurnard,

Sorry to go off thread but do you know is wild camping an option around the Mull of Galloway? Weather permitting Im planning a trip there third week in Oct to do some sibbing, fishing & camping. Cheers.