Old 07 September 2019, 18:49   #1

Town: Penzance
Length: 3m +
How knackered is too knackered?

Hi,
I'm looking to start with a very cheap old renovation job of a SIB, for financial reasons mainly and as a bit of a winter project (not that I have any experience with boats)
When looking at old, well used, beaten up old SIBs, what would be considered as beyond salvageable?

What are the key 'must be OKs' before spending even a limited amount of money on the boat alone.

Many thanks
Old 07 September 2019, 19:19   #2

Chances are nothing is actually unsalvageable.

But... The cost of salvaging would mean spending more (even doing DIY) overall than buying a better boat.

Needing:

Replacement transom
Missing metal floor panels
Major tube surgery

All probably = not worth the effort & cost
Old 07 September 2019, 19:39   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you are looking at a winter project the best project of all may be looking at all possible sales outlets for used SIBs just needing a clean and drop on that one no-one notices so going for a daft low price below the cost of buying a heap plus materials to sort it.

Having said that if you do buy a project then SS is correct... wooden floor panels missing are OK to replicate but not alloy or the alloy stringers which can be hard to locate and expensive... rotten transoms are rare on SIBs but best avoided. Also full re-glue projects that need the whole floor and transom re-attaching (often Zodiacs) are lots of work.

Simple valve re-furbs and individual patches are no trouble.

What are you plans for an outboard as that's where the money can go?
Old 07 September 2019, 23:16   #4

Length: under 3m
I think maybe yourself a winter hobby of bargain hunting a used SIB of very high quality like an Achilles. Get a good deal because of a couple of small leaks or some sun fading.. patching simple holes is very doable. Some slighly rotten floorboards are easy enough, you can buy most parts.

One thing i learned is say someone is willing to Sell a Sib for $400 in ok shape with everything is another person might end up paying $400 for one that is ruined and requires hundred house and lots of $$...

Dont ask me how i know this.. i have several pice of crap boats i have spent lots of time on.. but my best boat came to me cheaply.

I would save your time and get a sib off someone cheap in decent shape, maybe a couple of patches or damaged floor boards .. also get the size you want. Get a good low hours running motor, spend your time exploring and learnign to fish and maintian
Old 08 September 2019, 14:19   #5

Town: Penzance
Thank you for your replies, I shall keep my eye open for a bargain over the winter, now I have abit more knowledge thanks to this forum.

I'll be doing my best not to fall into the false economy trap of a knackered old cheapie!
Old 08 September 2019, 18:26   #6

Length: under 3m
one tip.. Achillies boats, the older made in Japan ones, for 1980s threw the 1990s are still all over. i have three boats from this vintage that might look a little warn out but are in excellent shape and will last years and years still nobody knows how long they can last as the orignal ones are still on the water.. on the other hand some PVC zodiac that is 5-10 years old is probably completely garbage if it has any sun damage or fading.

the only way i would buy a PVC boat is if it was never and in excellent shape. Any sort of wear and age and it better be close to free.

Make sure you get a Hypalon boat, of course Avon is a great british brand, maybe ther eis lots of those in England, here in B.C. Canada everyone is rocking the Achilles boats, kind of like the Toyota Corolla of SIBS.

Don't buy one with large holds near a seam, rotten transom, fabric that is starting to get spider web cracks and delaminate (happens to hypalon can go bad, less so with some brands) make sure to fill the tubs with air, bring a spray bottle with soap and water and check around seams and stuff for leaks, bubbles will form.

The best deal you can get is something like a 1991 Achilles or Avon that looks bad , maybe two or three pourly put on patches that are even leaking, people give these away for peanuts.. It' san illusion as inside they are in great shape and are so well made that they will outlast those cheap made in CHINA PVC outs easil.