Old 28 June 2018, 08:09   #1

Town: Consett
Length: no boat
How fast (or slow) am I going.

Can anyone recommend an app ( android) to use as Speedo. Can I even do it on a phone or is it a proper nav/GPS unit that I need.
Old 28 June 2018, 08:15   #2
MCL

Town: Stamford
Length: 3m +
You can use your phone but it you should put it in a waterproof case.

I use alpine quest on Android just because I have a load of OS maps saved on it which give me some limited detail about land marks etc.

If you want to use your phone for navigation as a chart plotter navionics is a popular choice but it's not free.

If you just go on the Android play store and search for GPS tracker they will almost certainly be 100s of apps all capable of tracking and showing you your current speed, max speed, average, moving time, COG amongst many other variables.
Old 28 June 2018, 13:46   #3

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I use Map My Run or Map My Ride (essentially the same app) designed for outdoors activities. If you set it on "bike ride" it will record your average speed for each full mile of your route in mph (not kts) and your peak speed in each mile. It will also map your route. I use it when cycling, running, hiking or sailing. It's free and works on iPhone or Android.
Old 28 June 2018, 18:03   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1973 View Post
Can anyone recommend an app ( android) to use as Speedo. Can I even do it on a phone or is it a proper nav/GPS unit that I need.

Yes you can do it with a phone. If you are going in a nice straight line you should get sensible results. Beware some mapping apps tend to zap batteries.

If you are looking for a boating app then the RYA safetrx app is worth a look (open to non members too). It does have a speed setting but it’s pretty hidden and certainly not ideal for that one feature but the concept is nice. You can log your planned trip in advance, you can update any changes on the move, you nominate shore contacts if you haven’t reported back as being safe and it will automatically contact them and then if you are overdue the CG can see not just your plans but position updates from whenever you have had signal etc.
Old 28 June 2018, 20:32   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I use Map My Run or Map My Ride (essentially the same app) designed for outdoors activities. If you set it on "bike ride" it will record your average speed for each full mile of your route in mph (not kts) and your peak speed in each mile. It will also map your route. I use it when cycling, running, hiking or sailing. It's free and works on iPhone or Android.
Used Map my Ride before (on a bike) and is excellent. Alternatively you could could get cheap handheld GPS like Garmin Etrex.
Old 28 June 2018, 21:10   #6

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Harbinger
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200
MMSI: 232 013 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1973 View Post

I’m pretty sure the app “Boatie” is on android. Provides GPS speed & cog as well as tides and weather info.
Old 29 June 2018, 00:06   #7

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Any navigation app will give you speed reading even if your off the map lol