Old 22 February 2022, 07:39   #1

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Honwave Wheels

Hi all,
Wondering if any of you can recommend a set of transom wheels for a Honwave T38 ie3. My Nephew has just bought his first SIB and is looking forward to many adventures with it. Any recommendations much appreciated.
Old 22 February 2022, 09:28   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'm assuming he has the current model without rear tabs?

In my experience if he wishes to launch then remove the wheels Zodiac own brand are best... ideally bought used as new they are expensive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152689236811

I've also used these as a cheaper alternative to the Zodiac ones...

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...yABEgIsEPD_BwE

If a "stay on the SIB during the trip" type are preferred then the Trem brand has always served me well...

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...yABEgIsEPD_BwE

Personally as I often trolley the SIB a fair distance to launch I'm not keen on the very cheap types or those with short legs meaning the SIB and OB are exposed to potholes, kerbs etc.

If he gets the flip up type like both of my links the tyres are great for the road but with so much buoyancy can be a devil to push down into the water when arriving back at a slip so I always change them for a neutral buoyancy puncture proof type, either sandhoppers or the yellow perils...

https://www.trailertek.com/trailer-p...iABEgK5I_D_BwE

https://www.screwfix.com/p/walsall-u...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 22 February 2022, 10:13   #3

Hi Fenlander,
Yes, current model without the tabs.
Many thanks for the info, very useful and will have a look at your suggestions.
Next thing is going to be a bigger outboard, he's currently got a 6HP four stroke that will be fine for pottering round with but looking for a 15 or 20HP for bigger adventures.
Old 22 February 2022, 11:00   #4

Town: West Coast
Hi Pipster,

I've recently just bought a new T38 IE3 and am currently getting it ready for the season. This forum has proven to be quite a helpful resource.

Another option for you would be as suggested by forum user Mattster below using the german Suprod wheels:
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/honwav...tml#post841170

It seems a 10mm spacer is needed to mount on the T38 as the air deck protrudes out the back of the transom.

Mattster has also recommended replacing the supplied 200mm PU wheels with 260mm pneumatic wheels. I bought some last week and the german shop selling these kindly offered to replace the wheels at no extra cost.

Seems like this setup works well for him and means the wheels are tucked in while underway.
Old 22 February 2022, 11:26   #5

Thanks honkwave, useful link.
Old 22 February 2022, 17:20   #6

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Yep, the Suprod wheels are good if a little small (200m) in the standard configuration - the 260's were better, but you need to plan for them if installing with the original 200's to make sure you have the clearance - better yet to get the 260's from the off, wish I had asked the first time!

Having tried both the solid and pneumatic types, my preference is for the latter - they are a little lighter, grip better and are more forgiving over bumps. I haven't found them at all hard to push below the water when required.

One thing I will say about the flip up/fold flat wheels, brilliant tho they are, is that they do stay on the boat at all times. That's an extra 5kg+ on (what was to me) an already heavy boat to lift in the bag, and weight was ultimately why I swapped my Honwave for an Elling. Worth bearing in mind.

I have flip up removable 300mm pneumatics on the Elling now, also by Suprod (seem a decent outfit, can't fault build quality). The bigger the wheel the better IMO within reason.
Old 22 February 2022, 19:04   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Agree the smaller pneumatic wheels not too bad to push down. The transom wheel sets I've linked often come with 350mm tyres and they have so much buoyancy. Agree too re wheels that stay on when you pack the SIB... for me too any extra weight is unwelcome.

Yes the larger diameter the better for road and rough ground/slipways. True many solids are heavy and with no give like they're made of wood... that's why I like the yellow perils as they are light and have some give.
Old 23 February 2022, 07:08   #8

Many thanks all for the info. I agree on the pneumatic wheels, I've tried both on my dinghy launching trolley and stuck with pneumatic. I'll have a chat with my Nephew but thinking that the Zodiac wheels may be the way to go, he will be inflating/deflating and like that they only leave a small bracket on the transom.