RIBnet supporter

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Tonto
Make: Honwave 3.8 Airfloor
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20 4st
Honwave help.

Hello.

Contemplating getting a SIB in place of my Kayak. The Honwaves seem to be popular on Ebay and Gumtree ( not sure where else to look).

I believe from reading the forum V hulls are preferred. Looking at various models, they all seem to be V like. However, there are models that have the hull extending beyond the transom...........are these the preferred type ?

Thanks,

Fraser.
Old 04 July 2016, 05:49   #2

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
I had a honwave myself and although it's a great sib at a great price they are more of a heavy duty sib which I found quite heavy to lift around out of the water, the tabs that extended beyond the transom are on the air floor versions and although not a problem do limit you to only one type of transom wheel
Old 04 July 2016, 08:05   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
EC yes all but the most basic of SIBS (mainly those for use as a tender to/from a yacht on a mooring) have the floor fabric stretched into a V to soften the ride into waves, to stifen the material for planing performance and to give directional stability. The degree of this V varies according to make/model but by and large a SIB will never cut through waves like a larger heavier RIB with a GRP hull and very pronounced V.

Those of us who've owner/used a few SIBs often realise we have differing needs... from those that undertake extended trips and need lots of storage space, those that fish and prefer a hard floor, those that daily inflate so need the easiest inflate/deflate and minimal space taken in the car... and there are some of us who need neither a hard floor to fish nor lots of storage and have found through experience with our own particular use the deepest V gives a more comfortable ride.

But as Gurnard often says all SIBs will get you where you're going and it's down to personal preference.

The Aerotec I and others use has the deepest V so the potential for the softest ride in rough water, the Honwave air floor models (with the tabs that stick out the back) have the next deepest V, the Zodiac Acti-V models follow on next and finally most alloy/wood hard loor models with a LP inflated keel are all about the same in V shape.

The preferred type depends on your use and most important really is the choice between air floor and hard floor. The hard floor Honwave models (as with other hard floor makes) are really quite heavy to move about both when packed and inflated but they are well made and a great roomy SIB also making a brilliant fishing platform. They can be fiddly to assemble in regards to getting the floor fitted and that does put off those of us that daily setup.

The air floor Honwave models are much lighter and far easier to setup as it's a case of unroll and inflate. They have a V about halfway between Aerotec and normal hard floor types so seem a good compromise of performance and usability.

Honwave don't do exactly the same lengths in air/hard floor models but as an example of weight comparisons...

Honwave air floor 3.2m 86lbs, alloy floor 3.5m 160lbs.... air floor 3.8m 106lbs, alloy floor 4.0m 189lbs... the differences are very significant unless you are using a trailer.

As Mickhitch says one of their downsides is the transom tabs force the use of one (expensive) design of transom wheel. They also interfere with fitting a transducer for a depth sounder.
Old 04 July 2016, 16:51   #4
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
I had a honwave myself and although it's a great sib at a great price they are more of a heavy duty sib which I found quite heavy to lift around out of the water, the tabs that extended beyond the transom are on the air floor versions and although not a problem do limit you to only one type of transom wheel
Thanks for your reply. I've seen a few second hand ones with the dog leg wheels, they must put a strain in the transom with the engine in place?
I wouldn't mind the heavy duty set up for peace of mind, but as you say there's a weight penalty for this.

Thanks,

Fraser.
Old 04 July 2016, 16:55   #5

It's not that they strain the transom but they have the leverage to strain themselves and their fitting boss... there are some light duty ones folks have fitted that have been known to bend.
Old 04 July 2016, 17:09   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
EC yes all but the most basic of SIBS (mainly those for use as a tender to/from a yacht on a mooring) have the floor fabric stretched into a V to soften the ride into waves, to stifen the material for planing performance and to give directional stability. The degree of this V varies according to make/model but by and large a SIB will never cut through waves like a larger heavier RIB with a GRP hull and very pronounced V.

Those of us who've owner/used a few SIBs often realise we have differing needs... from those that undertake extended trips and need lots of storage space, those that fish and prefer a hard floor, those that daily inflate so need the easiest inflate/deflate and minimal space taken in the car... and there are some of us who need neither a hard floor to fish nor lots of storage and have found through experience with our own particular use the deepest V gives a more comfortable ride.

But as Gurnard often says all SIBs will get you where you're going and it's down to personal preference.

The Aerotec I and others use has the deepest V so the potential for the softest ride in rough water, the Honwave air floor models (with the tabs that stick out the back) have the next deepest V, the Zodiac Acti-V models follow on next and finally most alloy/wood hard loor models with a LP inflated keel are all about the same in V shape.

The preferred type depends on your use and most important really is the choice between air floor and hard floor. The hard floor Honwave models (as with other hard floor makes) are really quite heavy to move about both when packed and inflated but they are well made and a great roomy SIB also making a brilliant fishing platform. They can be fiddly to assemble in regards to getting the floor fitted and that does put off those of us that daily setup.

The air floor Honwave models are much lighter and far easier to setup as it's a case of unroll and inflate. They have a V about halfway between Aerotec and normal hard floor types so seem a good compromise of performance and usability.

Honwave don't do exactly the same lengths in air/hard floor models but as an example of weight comparisons...

Honwave air floor 3.2m 86lbs, alloy floor 3.5m 160lbs.... air floor 3.8m 106lbs, alloy floor 4.0m 189lbs... the differences are very significant unless you are using a trailer.

As Mickhitch says one of their downsides is the transom tabs force the use of one (expensive) design of transom wheel. They also interfere with fitting a transducer for a depth sounder.
Again, thanks for another reply.

I intend on using it for recreational use. Take the family out ( the Mrs and the wean) but also for camping and bothy trips with a couple of friends. So I'd likely be looking at 5 person minimum to allow for camping gear etc.
I like the sound of the simplicity of the air floor, less faffing about, especially if only going out for a few hours. Plus as you have pointed out, the weight difference is quite a bit.
I'm not a fisherman so the solid floor wouldn't be required.

I think my most ambitious venture would be to Islay and Jura.......I've seen the tide races between the two. But wouldn't need to pass through the narrows.
I read a great SIB trip report on here regarding a camping trip, looked great.

I've looked at the Bombard but there's not many second hand ones about.....especially in Scotland.

Thanks,

Fraser.
Old 04 July 2016, 18:03   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Sorry if you've already said this, but are you planning to move it on a trailer or pack it up each time? If its packing then air deck is a no brainer.
Old 04 July 2016, 18:06   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Sorry if you've already said this, but are you planning to move it on a trailer or pack it up each time? If its packing then air deck is a no brainer.
Poly,

I'd intend to pack up as I don't want the restrictions caused by a trailer due to some remote launch landing points.

Thanks.
Old 04 July 2016, 18:54   #9

5 person minimum....i think you need to seriously evaluate the size of the boat you want.
Old 04 July 2016, 19:04   #10
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
5 person minimum....i think you need to seriously evaluate the size of the boat you want.
Sorry, meant maximum. It'd accommodate 3 adults at most with a load of gear.

Thanks.
Old 05 July 2016, 08:02   #11

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
If it's the Honwave you go for the 3.2 might be a bit too small, it's a capable boat will pick up and plane with 3 adults (15hp TS) but not much wiggle room once everyone plus gear on board. I've not found the HD wheels and transom mounts (mine from Barnet Marine) show signs of wear, the guage of steel is good enough for gear/outboard weight. HW also have thick transoms (sandwiched ply) so they can take the weight just check out the glue joints/seams - see other info here on this forum (take a spoon with you..) The 3.8 HW features in a few posts here, spacious, stable, value for money, not too bad for size, bulky or very bulky depending on your view point/comparisons with other boats Overall a lot of boat for the money. I can t speak first hand for other boats but there are certainly more other good ones out there, I went with the 3.2 HW as a starting point and no regrets so far. Estuary and around South Devon typically - races around Thatcher's Rock slightly unnerving but HW felt stable
Old 05 July 2016, 08:14   #12

>>>the 3.2 might be a bit too small

That was my guess for three folks and camping gear... for the same reason I'd not look at an Aerotec.

I'd be looking at the 3.8 Honwave. Ony 20lbs more than the 3.2 but its extra foot in length and 5 ins width would make a big difference for stowing kit... it also has an extra 365lbs buoyancy.

I think for an extra £170 new that's good value for the size advantages.
Old 05 July 2016, 09:11   #13

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explore Cowal View Post

I've looked at the Bombard but there's not many second hand ones about.....especially in Scotland.

Thanks,

Fraser.
Probably been more Aerotecs for sale lately than ever before, I'm sure there were one or two up your way - check back over completed listings on eBay or in the 'SIB's spotted....' link. This outfit ended at the weekend and was a beauty - Yam 15 and lots of extras, a very long trip for you though!

BOMBARD AEROTEC 380 INFLATABLE/RIB & YAMAHA 15 HP (Low Hours) | eBay

I agree with others that the Honwaves are probably the best value if going new, easy to sell on too. Check the sticky 'Which SIB?' for other ideas.

Having said that if there is five of you and lots of gear then I'd go solid floor - no issue carrying it with that many hands to help.
Old 06 July 2016, 19:59   #14
RIBnet supporter

Huge thanks to everyone for their input, much appreciated.

Think I'll be keeping an eye out for a 3.8 Honwave with air deck with the V hull. Willing to travel a couple of hundered miles for right SIB. Thought there would be more available locally since I live on the west coast.

I'll keep an eye on the usual places 👍

Thanks.
Old 06 July 2016, 21:31   #15

On eBay item number 152153952147 problem is the Croydon location. I got mine couriered from Yorkshire to London for £50.00 (part load) using these guys www.anyvan.com I took a chance and bought mine unseen. There's a couple of HW outfits boat/outboard/trailer on eBay but they're in Woking and Dorchester ~ outboards are four stroke which may not be your cup of tea anyway. Out of interest I got a courier quote Croydon to Glasgow for £120 there's a fella called Craig who does the run 3 times a week
Old 06 July 2016, 22:04   #16
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
On eBay item number 152153952147 problem is the Croydon location. I got mine couriered from Yorkshire to London for £50.00 (part load) using these guys www.anyvan.com I took a chance and bought mine unseen. There's a couple of HW outfits boat/outboard/trailer on eBay but they're in Woking and Dorchester ~ outboards are four stroke which may not be your cup of tea anyway. Out of interest I got a courier quote Croydon to Glasgow for £120 there's a fella called Craig who does the run 3 times a week
Yeah the distance is a wee bit of a problem. Suppose if it's cheap enough plus courier cost it could be a bargain. I'm sure there's a company that does good prices if it's on a pallet.
There's one in Hull on Gumtree, think it's 300 miles away, only 60/70 quid in diesel so kind of doable. Think I'd like a lighter 2 stroke - 15/20hp. There's one on here for sale but it was on Gumtree then got deleted after a few days, so I'm assuming it's sold.
On standby for 2 weeks so can't travel to far for a while.

Cheers.
Old 07 July 2016, 07:01   #17

Yaba that Honwave in Croydon looks very promising. Not that well described as the header makes no mention the boat is just a year old and includes the expensive launch wheels. Photographing it deflated isn't the best way to present either.
Old 07 July 2016, 08:56   #18
RIBnet supporter

Been looking at logistics. Looks like quarter pallet would be the way to go but cheapest is £124! That adds a significant amount onto the final price. Maybe it's due to where I stay.
It's a 9.5 hr drive from mine, don't think I could handle the traffic of the big smoke as I stay in the wilds where the only gridlock is when the farmer moves his sheep up the road

Thanks.
Old 07 July 2016, 09:58   #19

Yep I guess a distance too far for you EC... going to make someone a good buy unless the bidding goes mad. The cheapest I can see for the SIB + wheels new is £1190.
Old 07 July 2016, 10:41   #20

My quick search for this SIB is £999.99 Honwave T38-IE2 inflatable | Honwave and Outboard packages | Ely Boat Chandlers plus £50 shipping (maybe find out how they ship it for £50?)
Actually on the back of that I get deliveries from Cornwall to London for £50 pallet charge so maybe your £124 is a touch heavy, meeting a courier in the nearest town - if you do go that route - would shave something off the price. Craig from Anyvan I messaged last night would do it for £120 you might find another company for less than that. My Yorkshire to London quotes started at £150+ and ended up as a part load for £50

That eBay listing has had a flurry of activity which suggests it might go for more than its worth, if it went for 650-750 plus your shipping I would think that fair, sub 650 it's a deal. Man maths would say in your location you'd prob have to spend £40 on fuel round trip (includes waiting time for sheep) so another £80 is the extra shipping cost..? Another thing to think about is the elusive outboard, might you have to go through the same process of travel or shipping if you find a good one of those?

New boat with new wheels £1200 ish (includes delivery but would that include West Coast Scotland)
Used boat with used wheels (near new in this case) £850 ish ~ unless the auction goes higher than my guess (includes £120 or so for a pallet or courier)

I suppose it depends how quick you want to do this, maybe something will come up as a package nearer where you live