Old 18 August 2009, 14:52   #1

Town: Bridge of weir
Make: honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: mariner 25
Honwave and outboard questions from a newbie!

Hi this is my first post on this excellent site!

I am pretty much a novice and have just purchased my first SIB, a used honda honwave 3.5 with aluminium deck and I have a few questions for you experienced guys! (sorry!!)

1. the boat came with a 2006 Mercury 8hp 2 stroke which has only half a dozen hours on it and is like new, however I have also laid my hands on a late 90's mariner 25hp short shaft. The boat specs say that it is rated for upto 20hp and 55kg. I think this engine weighs less than 55kg, would this be ok?

2. my boys are nipping at me to get an inflatable donut/ringo to tow, firstly is it ok for a boat of this type to tow such a thing? secondly how?, the transom has 2 stainless eyes fitted but these are pointing inboard (shown in picture), can i just turn these outboard and use a bridle and tow rope?

3. If the 25hp mariner is suitable I want to get it serviced and checked out first, I have been quoted £97 for this by a local outboard dealer (not sure if i should name) Is this a fair price?

4. Finally, if I end up using the 25hp I am going to be selling the 8hp mercury. The above unnamed dealer has offered me £600 for it, again is this a fair price or is it worth more? where would be the place to advertise? ebay, b & o?

Cheers in advance!!

Old 19 August 2009, 10:58   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I have also laid my hands on a late 90's mariner 25hp short shaft. The boat specs say that it is rated for upto 20hp and 55kg. I think this engine weighs less than 55kg, would this be ok?
Search here for people putting stuff over their transom rating. Other people do it. No one will tell you it is the right thing to do, or its a great idea. Unlikely to damage the boat but could be an insurance type headache if you end up in an accident.

if you are new - you might want to get some practice/experience with the small engine first then move up.

firstly is it ok for a boat of this type to tow such a thing?

I can't see why not - though bear in mind that this will be extra stress on your transom. you would probably need the bigger engine for this.

can i just turn these outboard and use a bridle and tow rope?

Maybe! Can't really see how strong they are or how they are bolted to the transom/load spread out - but in general thats the way people do it.

I have been quoted £97 for this by a local outboard dealer (not sure if i should name) Is this a fair price?

You can shop around, you might get it a little cheaper but not a huge amount, he's certainly not ripping you off any more than anyone else in the marine industry does - and given that it will take him a few hours to do a proper job.

I am going to be selling the 8hp mercury. The above unnamed dealer has offered me £600 for it, again is this a fair price or is it worth more? where would be the place to advertise? ebay, b & o?

I'm not an expert on 2nd hand engine prices - but that doesn't sound like he is ripping you off. I think ebay generally gets sellers very good prices for outboards (although there might be hassles with non-payers etc).
Old 19 August 2009, 12:51   #3

Thanks for the reply.

My plan was exactly as you said, i'm hoping to get out this weekend and try each engine out and get a feel for both.

The two loops in the picture just have one large countersunk screw and washer on the other side holding them on, when swapping them round i was going to fit a larger washer to try and spread load a little, or possibly look for some different ones with a larger mounting plate.

My other concern was the positioning of the tow loops, should these be lower down the transom rather than just at the top?

cheers again

steve
Old 19 August 2009, 12:54   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Not a rip off price but small 2nd hand 2 strokes are very rare and can go for silly money on Ebay or boats and outboards.

I would stick that 25hp on no problem - engine weight is far more of an issue than an extra 5hp which you may lose anyway if the carb isn't spot on.

You should be ok with the towing - the transom is attached to the engine so all the force is on the same plank.
Old 20 August 2009, 13:36   #5

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I have also laid my hands on a late 90's mariner 25hp short shaft. The boat specs say that it is rated for upto 20hp and 55kg. I think this engine weighs less than 55kg, would this be ok?
Search here for people putting stuff over their transom rating. Other people do it. No one will tell you it is the right thing to do, or its a great idea. Unlikely to damage the boat but could be an insurance type headache if you end up in an accident.

if you are new - you might want to get some practice/experience with the small engine first then move up.

firstly is it ok for a boat of this type to tow such a thing?

You will definitely need the bigger engine for any sort of meaningful tow

can i just turn these outboard and use a bridle and tow rope?

Don't need to turn them outboard - in any case the transom is moulded to take them the way they are - you will probably damage the holes if you turn them outboard.
Old 22 August 2009, 05:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
So I can just clip/tie the bridle onto the eye rings that are inboard side of the transom and have the rope going up and over the transom? Would that not put too much of an upward shear force on the eye rings?
Old 24 August 2009, 21:53   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Why not service the engine yourself? If you're an aircraft engineer - you'll find it easy. You can normally pick up service manuals that will give you a step-by-step guide on routine maintenance.
Old 24 August 2009, 22:02   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh2903 View Post
So I can just clip/tie the bridle onto the eye rings that are inboard side of the transom and have the rope going up and over the transom? Would that not put too much of an upward shear force on the eye rings?
I'd reverse the towing eyes. You really don't want to be attaching the towing bridle to the inside of the boat, so that it's chaffing on the transom lip. According to your description of the stainless-steel eyes, a countersunk screw and washer doesn't sound particularly sturdy. Ideally you want a screw-thread eye bolt and nut. In addition - a large oversided stainless-steel washer on the inside will spread the load and protect the transom.