Old 02 May 2021, 19:28   #1

Town: Hull
Boat name: TED
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 18hp
Honwave 12v pump

What 12v pumps are you using on a t38 honwave? The bravo pump i have is not capable of htting the .8 bar for the floor so i top it up with the foot pump type one. But i broke that today partly as its on its limit. So im going to get another foot type one bravo 10 and looking at the bravo 12 , 12v one. Any thoughts please as to get another brand thats better.
Cheers
Old 02 May 2021, 21:56   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
What 12v pumps are you using on a t38 honwave? The bravo pump i have is not capable of htting the .8 bar for the floor so i top it up with the foot pump type one. But i broke that today partly as its on its limit. So im going to get another foot type one bravo 10 and looking at the bravo 12 , 12v one. Any thoughts please as to get another brand thats better.

Cheers

I have one of the Hiks 12V pumps, got it from Amazon, works well so far & can get to 20psi.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2021, 22:09   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Recommendations for a pump is a difficult call. A few years ago it was easy peasy, just get a double stage Bravo or Genova, but now with all the new cheaper single stage pumps coming on the market for paddle boards/air frame tents etc. not so clear cut. Yes they’re lower volume and slower to inflate but also cheaper, more compact and lighter.

First off for your T38 you’ll need a pump that will inflate to min 0.8bar/12psi for the hp floor and also consider if you want inbuilt battery or not.

For the expensive large volume two stage pumps worth looking at anything from Bravo or Genova. Available in both inbuilt battery or external 12v supply models will have 450 to 500 l/m outputs in low pressure mode.

Cheaper single stage pumps with external 12v supply worth looking at Sevylor (190 l/m) or Decathlon Itiwit (75 l/m)

There are a few different branded cheap 20psi two stage (350/70 l/m) now around like the HIKS which may also be worth a look.

Just for info we have a Bravo BST 800 and Genovo Speedy both with built in battery. The Genovo is our favourite. We also have a couple of Sevylor’s, bought initially to inflate our paddle boards, but now carry one aboard and great for topping up toobs. It will however pump up a T38 from scratch in under 16mins...4mins each toob and 2mins each hp floor. The Genovo will do the toobs in nearly half the time but slight longer for the hp floor.

Not tried one but the generic HIKS type look an interesting option in the middle ground price wise, and PD rates his.
Old 03 May 2021, 07:30   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
I went with the Bravo GE-20 for the inflatables and two high pressure Red paddle boards. I've had one replaced due to battery problems and I had to bring another battery back from zero charge due to operator error (I left it stored with the fuse installed).

I've now purchased a Lithium battery to replace the internal lead/acid, which is more suited to the application anyway. In summary, I wouldn't bother with an internal battery - just buy a suitable external LiFePO4 battery (think mine was a scooter batt).

Also, if you have access to mains power then consider the mains powered Bravo - I assume there are other makes. My Bravo GE20 is rated at 125L/min and the Bravo GE2000 is 2000L/min (max 5.8PSI) - makes a huge difference when blowing up the SIB.
Old 04 May 2021, 11:04   #5

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Hi Topshelf, I started a thread last summer when I was looking for one. Lots of different views. I went for the one that Force 4 sell( £99). It runs from cigarette lighter in car. So far, really pleased.
My inflatable( Takacat) is no problem for the pump, with its high volume low pressure stage, with auto high stage. My air floor is 10 psi ( pump will reach 20 psi). They now do one with built in battery for £149. I know lots of members rate the bravo pumps, but I have no experience of them, so can’t comment.
Old 04 May 2021, 12:02   #6

Thanks guys. Gone for the hiks at 20psi. Orderd off there own web site. I have a bravo but only goes up to 4psi. I destroyed the foot pump one trying to get the floor up to .8 bar. I think il keep the two so i have a spare , nothing worse than planning a day then somthing fails on that day. Managed to get .8 on one floor and .4 in the other side on sunday before the foot pump failed . But was just enough . Just to confirm that .8 bar in the floors on honwaves are vital other wise it causes cavitation and will not let it plane well if you can get it up there.
Thanks.
Old 04 May 2021, 12:15   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I think you've made a fair choice. There are now several alternatives to the Bravo which was just about the only one ten years ago. I've stuck with that brand but the alternatives are just as viable now.
Old 04 May 2021, 12:17   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
Thanks guys. Gone for the hiks at 20psi. Orderd off there own web site. I have a bravo but only goes up to 4psi. I destroyed the foot pump one trying to get the floor up to .8 bar. I think il keep the two so i have a spare , nothing worse than planning a day then somthing fails on that day. Managed to get .8 on one floor and .4 in the other side on sunday before the foot pump failed . But was just enough . Just to confirm that .8 bar in the floors on honwaves are vital other wise it causes cavitation and will not let it plane well if you can get it up there.

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how much £?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2021, 12:40   #9
Sye

Town: Reading
Boat name: T40
Make: Honwave
Engine: Honda BF30
I was using the electric one I brought from Decathlon for my kayak. Is designed for paddle boards so easily handles the high pressures of a honwave.
Old 04 May 2021, 18:55   #10

£70 16psi a bit cheaper
Old 04 May 2021, 22:31   #11

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Searches for ‘Electric pump review’ on YouTube brings up some mixed results [emoji15]
Old 05 May 2021, 12:39   #12

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have one of the Hiks 12V pumps, got it from Amazon, works well so far & can get to 20psi.
I've been thinking about getting a 12v 20psi pump for my SUP for a while but couldn't decide which one to go for.

After reading your positive words re Hiks, this morning I've ordered one. I look forward to it arriving.

Many thanks PD.
Old 10 May 2021, 15:43   #13

so its stop raining for a while this morning and I used the 12v hiks to inflate the t38 honwave, it went up in no time. I used a hiks stirrup type pump to inflate one side of the floor to .8 bar and very happy with both , the stirrup pump will be a spare . what I also did was I had a 240v transformer to 12v that I use for my camping fridge sometimes, I used this to operate the pump so I could blow it up in my back garden,As I cant get my car in there. worked fine . ( I always blow it up after use wash it down and remove any sand and stuff) If I was to pull it on anything the gauge on the stirrup pump was not quiet accurate but for the money fine, and I can see the inflation hose on the 12v pump not lasting long as its a bit brittle type tubing as apposed to rubber . But not a problem .
Old 21 May 2021, 16:20   #14

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
I've just ordered the force 4 marine one with integral battery.
Nice to have a compact unit I can take out on the boat.
Not quite as much flow as the bravo but no need for separate battery.
It also has a couple of USB ports for charging phones etc.
I'll let you all know if it's any good once it arrives. 😁
Old 21 May 2021, 17:25   #15

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I've got one of the Bravo GE 20 pumps. It works very well but it does let the whole county know that I'm a lazy fkr who doesn't want to do his own pumping.
Old 22 May 2021, 07:18   #16

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
The HIKS vs Bravo debate is where I’m at. Data for pumps (noise/flow rate) is not available or over inflated by manufacturers [emoji2] 🥁

Is there an easy answer to quietest most litres of air per minute pump?
Old 22 May 2021, 13:37   #17

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes one of the Bravo two stage pumps. While during the initial turbine fill stage they have a flow rate about three times that of any HP single stage pump and in relative silence.
Old 22 May 2021, 13:58   #18

Make: Elling kB 350
i bought the outdoormaster shark pump £140 im very happy with it. it takes about 20 mins to set up the elling from unpacking to fully set up so i imagine it only takes about 10mins to inflate in total.