Old 21 August 2021, 02:40   #1
Spammer

Highfield

Thinking about selling all my boats and getting one.

My dealer says they are THE BEST . Top of the line. Alpha Dog.

What's your experience.

I've only owned Zodiacs made in France and I think they're amazing.

I've had a Saturn - Garbage

Also an OMC Express - pretty good quality 20+ years still going
Old 21 August 2021, 03:55   #2

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Your dealer sounds like someone I would avoid
Old 21 August 2021, 07:46   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Thinking about selling all my boats and getting one.

What's your experience.

I've only owned Zodiacs made in France and I think they're amazing.

I've had a Saturn - Garbage

Also an OMC Express - pretty good quality 20+ years still going
Yeh I also think he's exaggerating how good they are, maybe not the worst but ones I've seen definitely weren't the best imho I'd say a middle of the road boat which will suit some folk but not others. Fairly new to the scene, It will be interesting to see how they stand the test of time.
Old 21 August 2021, 10:30   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post

What's your experience.
Yeah my experience fits with that - all dealers are full of shite, if he’s at a different company next month or a different brand do him a bigger commission then guess what’s best now.

Oh, you meant what’s our experience with highfields? Top of the range certainly not, but then neither are Zodiac which you are using as your benchmark. Given how popular they are with the YouTube #SailLife people I think if you are looking for an ultralight tender you’d be mad not to give them serious consideration. If I was looking for 5m sailing club rescue boat, it would make the list to get a quote for. As the size gets bigger the merits of Aluminium on a leisure rib may be less obvious, and if you are spending that much you might want to have more control on spec, fit out, finish quality etc.

They do have the advantage of a dealer network so you can shop around for one who is a little more honest! I’d be very sceptical about lead time at the moment unless its stock you can see. I’d certainly not part with more than a token gesture deposit for any boat being imported from the Far East unless there was compensation to me for late delivery!
Old 21 August 2021, 12:45   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I've a Patrol 600. Local dealer is great and we had some great conversations during fit out on what I wanted where and has been supportive since with daft questions and support.

Are they teh best? It depends on your budget and use. I'd prefer a Scorpion or Protector with a cab, anchor winch and head - but you're now talking silly money.

Like for like it seems to be Humber, X-Pro, XS and some of the smaller brands such as Leeway - against these I'd be happy to say (so far) that the Highfield is one of the best. The ride is superb, the deck space ideal and the dealer network local. Coupled with the Honda engines it seems a good package - ask me again in 12 months

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 16:43   #6

Town: Midlands
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF100
RIBase
I've just bought a Patrol 540, for the money I cant complain (I hope). Had a 3.8m Highfield Classic for a couple of years before that and loved it. The Classic did have a couple of minor scrapes through the powdercoating which exposed the aluminium but these were treated instantly with an etching/epoxy paint and didn't have any negative effect on the finish (I wondered if bare aluminium would oxidise and start to lift the surrounding powdercoat).

The only things that let the 540 down are the finish on the TIG welding, not quote as super neat as on my 380, and the anchor locker is tiny so struggle to get anything in there that's not folding.

Dealer told me some duff info on the Honda OB, such as you don't have to run it in.. (not what the manual says), oh and one of the gauges is fitted slightly wonky but thats just me being picky and a simple fix.
Old 21 August 2021, 17:28   #7

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post

Dealer told me some duff info on the Honda OB, such as you don't have to run it in.. (not what the manual says).
That's interesting as I was told the same thing.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 21:30   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Every outboard needs running in if it didn’t I still would.
Old 26 August 2021, 01:19   #9

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Most RIBs I have seen (boat shows & videos) have a big emphasis on seating and are designed for transporting people.

Highfield have more deck space ideal for fishing and diving, basically a work horse and you can put removable in seats if required. Or bean bags.

They have an aluminium plate hull, ideal for diving or fishing around a reef where there is a possibility of accidently hitting the reef. I'd rather have a dent in the hull than a hole or a crack. Also excellent if you want to beach it.

Resale, a plastic boat looks nice when new, but the new wears off with scuff marks and cracks. The superstructure of a Highfield is also aluminium, from what I have seen, easy to sand and recoat.

Not many people can tell you what the best boat is unless they have owned every type of boat and if you are not using your boat for fishing or diving most mainline brands would be OK.
Old 26 August 2021, 09:40   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
…Not many people can tell you what the best boat is unless they have owned every type of boat and if you are not using your boat for fishing or diving most mainline brands would be OK.

I always smile to myself when people start talking about “best” boats, or anything else for that matter. “Best” is relative.
Best for what exactly? Best for sitting in a marina looking cool. Best for a diving support boat. Best for fishing. Best for value. Best for…..you get my drift.
The Best boat doesn’t exist, it’s a unicorn. The Best boat is one that suits the owners needs, within his budget, even then, there’ll be a compromise made somewhere.
I’ll get me coat..
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 21:45   #11

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I always smile to myself when people start talking about “best” boats, or anything else for that matter. “Best” is relative.
Best for what exactly? Best for sitting in a marina looking cool. Best for a diving support boat. Best for fishing. Best for value. Best for…..you get my drift.
The Best boat doesn’t exist, it’s a unicorn. The Best boat is one that suits the owners needs, within his budget, even then, there’ll be a compromise made somewhere.
I’ll get me coat..
+
Define your need and budget= that will narrow down the options