Old 20 May 2020, 11:28   #1

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
Help with repairing a hole

Can someone give me guidance how I should repair this please.
An old patch by previous owner was leaking so I've just pulled the whole thing off to find 2 holes the size of 5p coins.
I've been given some proper pvc to cut a new patch, a tube of polymarine pvc adhesive and also a 2 part pvc adhesive made by rib right.
Which one should I use and how should I make the repair?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200520_122215_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	133179  
Old 20 May 2020, 17:43   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Clean the tube surface. All the old glue needs to come off. You can use a wheel flap attachment on a drill. Go easy, you're just taking the surface glue off. Use MEK solvent to thoroughly degrease.

I'm in two minds as to whether you should cut a link between the two holes and fit an inner patch, but given the previous patch had held (probably not repaired properly) before it leaked, then an outer patch should be enough sandwiched the Bombard decal patch and the rubbing strake as before.

Roughen the inside of the PVC patch surface too, making sure the edges are rounded. MEK solvent to degrease. The boat tube is going to be deflated to repair. To avoid gluing the patch to the inside of the opposite side of the tube, see if you can get some Gorilla tape in through the hole to blank it off. Place the new patch on for size and mask the surrounding tube material.

Preparation is everything. Just follow Polymarine's instructions. Decent ambient temperature is important, out of direct sunlight with plenty ventilation.

The patch and tube need two light coats of adhesive. After the second coat, wait 5 minutes, now apply. Use the masking to line it up. It's a contact adhesive, so you get one shot. With a roller spreader, apply pressure across the patch working from the centre out. Remove the masking tape. Any excess glue, wipe off with a little solvent, but go easy, you don't want to soften the adhesive at the patch edge. Place cardboard or a section of plywood over the patch and drop on something heavy to weight it down. Leave for 24 hours, then another 24 hours with the weight removed to let air circulate around it.
Old 20 May 2020, 17:49   #3

Good man ��
The polymarine stuff is straight out of a tube. The rib right stuff is a 2 part. Are they just as good?
Old 20 May 2020, 20:19   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy c View Post
The polymarine stuff is straight out of a tube. The rib right stuff is a 2 part. Are they just as good?
I was assuming it was a two part? I see Polymarine sell a single part PVC glue, which is fine for small repairs, sticking down edges, but I'd go for 2-part, and watch their times for working with the product. No experience of the Rib Right stuff.
Old 20 May 2020, 20:52   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Don’t waste time with the single tube glue. Two part ever time. Weather (humidity) is spot on now so get it done!

A Scoth brite and meths will work fine to clean up old glue.
Old 20 May 2020, 21:48   #6

Thanks guys.
Will both the MEK solvent and meths take both single and 2 part adhesive off?
There is another patch that has got an edge starting to peel, I might take that off too and redo to be sure.
What is the best way to remove old patches?
Thanks
Old 21 May 2020, 09:06   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Heat gun (gentle and carefully) to warm patch and you can again carefully (!) use a thin edge wallpaper scraper/putty knife etc that you repeatedly dip in meths and work under the edge to help lift if needed.

As above meths and a gentle Scotch Brite will remove old glue.

MEK is the proper stuff but meths has always worked for me and is a bit gentler I think.

Tags
repair