Old 13 May 2008, 15:57   #1

Town: Minnesota
Boat name: none yet
Make: Metzeler
Length: 3m +
Engine: none yet
Help with old Metzeler

Hi all, new to the forums. I just picked up an older Metzeler 11' inflatable. I've been looking for Zodiacs for scuba diving but came across this beast for $99 and could not resist. I have a few questions since I am very new to inflatable boats (not new to boats in general).

1. I am unable to determine the year of the boat. It's a Metzeler Maya. The registration says 1976, but I am doubting the accuracy of that. The sticker indicates (in German) Boots-Nr/Baujahr 01442 G. I think the G is a year code but I am not sure.

2. I cannot determine if it is Hypalon or PVC. Since it's obviously older I think It's Hypalon, but I expected the interior of the tubes to be black. They are in fact orange, not exactly the same color as the exterior but close. I read that PVC has the same color inside and out.

3. I have some small seam leaks that I would like to repair. The boat will hold air at a hard pressure for about 6 hours, then is gets a little soft. It then stays at that point for days (never fully deflates). I tested the seams with soap and water and found that the tube seams at the stern are leaking. I do not get large bubbles, but a very light foam. I would like to try the Sealant from inland marine, does it work? I also thought about using Tire Slime or similar.

Thanks in advance
Paul Grafelman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00002.jpg
Views:	6468
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	34760   Click image for larger version

Name:	00007.jpg
Views:	2255
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	34761  
Old 13 May 2008, 21:31   #2

Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Hi Paul, you have bought a Hypalon inflatable . The Metzeler is made from Hypalon. What year it is , i cannot answer. Maybe i can ask someone who can know. Metzeler production was bought in the 80s by Zodiac.
Your leaks are normal at the seams, because it is glued togehter like underpants. The 2 inner surfaces are bonded and they like to separate from the tissue after time. There is some material on the market to drain through the valves and turn the boat upside down and back, to cover the seams from inside and the lightly pump up . It is the same milky stuff to fix carpets on the floor, but no glue. The best would also be, to cut some stripes of Hypalon and bond it from outside over the seam.

Metzelers have been good inflatables, a friend of mine used the same with a 6hp outboard for fishing in the north sea.
Greetings from Stuttgart / Germany
Mike
Old 14 May 2008, 01:53   #3

Town: Minnesota
Boat name: none yet
Make: Metzeler
Engine: none yet
Thanks Mike - I'll look into the sealant you have mentioned and will re-inforce the seams if needed. I guess it does not matter how old it is as long as it floats, right!

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Old 14 May 2008, 03:19   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgrafelman View Post
Thanks Mike - I'll look into the sealant you have mentioned and will re-inforce the seams if needed. I guess it does not matter how old it is as long as it floats, right!

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Paul
Go to your local Ace hardware store or Checker etc. and get some " Green Slime" tire sealant. Works great.
T.
Old 14 May 2008, 20:46   #5

Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Hi again. If you need the original orange Hypalon Material, in www.ebay.de there are sometimes pieces for sale, or www.schlauchbootreparatur.de. It is a netherlands guy with a
RIB repair shop in Mainz. You can look on his homepage and his shop. I do not know about
delivery to US, but it is information anywhere.

I remember the carpet material, it is latex milk. But the material for carpets is not waterproof. The tyre slime will be better.
Good luck
Mike
Old 17 September 2009, 22:07   #6

Neophrene Metzeler

Here some info regarding the material of the boats-

Zodiac® Strongan (often generically referred to as "PVC")

(also Bombard, Metzeler from 1989 on, Serié 1, Sevylor); ZED, Quicksilver;
West Marine (blue); WestMarine by Zodiac, other copolymer or PVC coated fabric

Hypalon or Hypalon/Neoprene Fabric
(Avon, Achilles, Boat/US, Sea Rogue, West (red or grey boats),
Metzeler before 1989, some older Zodiacs. Most non-Zodiac fabrics
fall into this category.

Also, my MAYA S came with a "1986 boat line catalogue from Metzeler", so I am assuming that my boat is 1986. This means that it is made of Neoprene - (maybe Hypalon according to the above statement from http://www.westportmarina.com/zodiac...s/repairs.html ).

Check out http://www.inlandmarine.us/testimonials/ for some ideas on materials to help restore your Metzeler. I have no personal experience with this company or these materials, however, I plan on sealing my Metzeler using this material or something similar that is available in Canada (Edmonton). Just stay away from Krazy glue (although superglue claims to work, I think).

Bob
Old 17 September 2009, 22:11   #7

Are you sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Paul
Go to your local Ace hardware store or Checker etc. and get some " Green Slime" tire sealant. Works great.
T.
Does this green slime tyre sealant work on hyperlon - neoprene or "PVC"? And one it has been applied will there be a problem with deflating the boat and having the sides "stick together"? That is a warning I saw somewhere about some methods of sealing the boats internally (that the boat must thereafter be kept inflated). That would "suck".

Bob
Old 20 September 2009, 19:02   #8

No to Slime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobert View Post
Does this green slime tyre sealant work on hyperlon - neoprene or "PVC"? And one it has been applied will there be a problem with deflating the boat and having the sides "stick together"? That is a warning I saw somewhere about some methods of sealing the boats internally (that the boat must thereafter be kept inflated). That would "suck".

Bob
I looked into this. Here is a quote from "Green Slime"'s website

"I have a puncture in an inflatable (mattress, dingy, Zodiac) will SLiME work to patch it?

In order for SLiME to be effective there are a few conditions that need to be present; sealant, air pressure and rotational force. In this type of application, there is no rotational force. Installing sealant into a wide/deep chamber and not having any way to direct the sealant to the affected area would render it useless. We do not recommend nor guarantee our product for this application."

So maybe if you positioned the boat in such a way as to direct the internal slime, it may do some good, but I am not even sure if this is a product that is intended for long term use. Definitely check there website for other issues if you intend on trying this.

I will not try it. I am going to continue to look around locally for a better solution to my problem (slowly leaking seams and now a bigger issue due to using crazy glue, I think).