Old 14 July 2013, 22:13   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Not got one
Make: Not got one
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Help please

Hi my names Dave and I am looking to buy a sib for a little fishing on the thames maybe some sight seeing round the Solent, I have a few questions to ask of you please.

1st I have seen a honwave t32 2011 model it has 1patch which can't be seen when the boat is in the water when I see it I thought it was brand new, it comes with every thing a new one would and also has the benifits of the Honda launching wheels installed which I'm told ain't cheep.
Aswell as a 1996 Yamaha 15hp two stroke engine which like wise looks like new the prop is mint the leg has no marks or paint missing and the engine well lets say you could eat your dinner of it and there is no rust anywhere starts first time and has done very little hours in fresh water only and comes with fuel line and 22 litre petrol tank.
So my questions are
1) how much is it worth.
2) although the engine is quite old would this be ok for say a trip out of Poole harbour and over to the needles and back.
3) how far can I go (miles) on a full tank 22 litres at 8 knots I believe that's the speed for the thames , then say half throttle, and the at wot,
4) would this be easy to get on the plane
5) would could I expect my top speed to be.
I thank you all in advance to any replies you take your time to answering for me
Dave
Old 14 July 2013, 23:03   #2

Price

Forgot to say the chap want £1600 pounds and he will not budge on it so please let me no if this is a good deal and what you think it's worth.
Thanks
Old 15 July 2013, 06:24   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
1) how much is it worth.
£1200 I recon

2) although the engine is quite old would this be ok for say a trip out of Poole harbour and over to the needles and back.
That a long trip for this little Sib!

3) how far can I go (miles) on a full tank 22 litres at 8 knots I believe that's the speed for the thames , then say half throttle, and the at wot,
60 to 70 odd miles

Depending on load yes lightly loaded

20 kt

Recon he is after top summer money for it!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 07:14   #4

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Depending where you are on the Thames the speed limits are different:

Non-tidal (past Teddington Lock)- 8 km/h
Tidal (Teddington to Westminster)- 8 knots
Tidal (Westminster - Margaretness)- 12 knots*

*If you meet certain criteria you can go quicker through certain points, but with your SIB you will not be able to meet these.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:55   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
1) how much is it worth.
£1200 I recon

60 to 70 odd miles

20 kt

If I were him I'd get a compression test of the engine it could be an old dog dressed up, I've heard it happens
Old 15 July 2013, 09:46   #6

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Give it a run, see if it's any good. But stick to about £1200.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:51   #7

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
Depending where you are on the Thames the speed limits are different:

Non-tidal (past Teddington Lock)- 8 km/h
Tidal (Teddington to Westminster)- 8 knots
Tidal (Westminster - Margaretness)- 12 knots*

*If you meet certain criteria you can go quicker through certain points, but with your SIB you will not be able to meet these.
I was under the impression that the 12 knot limit had been lifted to 18 to enable RIBs to work properly.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:56   #8

Town: London
I would be so ridiculously happy if that were the case, but I don't believe it is (unless you're aware of any recent developments I may have missed).

Unless there has been a more recent ruling, as of 1st July last year, in order to exceed 12 knots you need the following:

AIS
Flashing Light
VHF
Seats for everyone
Lifejackets for everyone
Advanced Powerboat
Thames Local Knowledge Endorsement

Lets not forget my personal favourite.....

If you are on your own its perfectly safe to not have a lookout, however if there are two of you, the lookout must be at least PB2 (with the skipper holding Advanced) otherwise its dangerous!

Also, I should point out the boat would need to be pre-approved by the PLA (i.e. you can't just turn up and assume its okay) as you have to apply for a certificate.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if you have to submit a passage plan too, they were intending to enforce that, not sure if they did bring that in or not.

http://www.pla.co.uk/pdfs/maritime/1...s_Byelaws1.pdf

Of course I would absolutely love to be proved wrong on this, as then I can bring my RIB back to the Thames!
Old 15 July 2013, 13:39   #9

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Its a great combination, I ran a T32 with a Mariner 15hp for a season. It planed easily with 2 big adults and 2 children and did a shade over 20kts at WOT loaded for a day out. Only issue (Common with all V Floor sibs -except the Bombard 380) was the floor had a tendency to 'ripple' at speed.

Its a decent size for a Sib with big tubes and a deep cockpit, more than capable of doing all the things you want (With the right training and equipment)

I have no idea how much fuel it used, but in the big scheme of things it wasn't a lot. I could easily do 1 end of Ullswater to the other on a small tank.

With regards value, I think the others are being a little cautious. The sun is out and water is calling, good boats and engines are selling for a lot of money.

I sold a nice (but not mint) Evinrude 15hp 2 stroke last week for £900, I could have sold it 1/2 dozen times with people actually emailing and offering more than the asking price. IMHO, Yamaha's are worth more. If its as good as you say it is then the engine will sell for £1000-1200 on its own.

The Hond's are just as popular, easily make £600 on Ebay on its own and as you know the wheels are around £200 as well.

On that basis its an OK deal, and TBH I doubt you will get a decent rig for much cheaper.
Old 15 July 2013, 18:34   #10

Thanks for your replies I think landlocked has just made my mind up for me I have just received the money for the two kayaks I had for sale (sold in 19 hours of auction start) good old fleabay.
So I think it's full steam ahead for the sib I have seen , have been looking but have not seen anything as clean as this and I can't wait to get out on the water and have a engine to take the strain as apposed to my arms.
Old 15 July 2013, 22:42   #11

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
1) how much is it worth.
£1200 I recon

60 to 70 odd miles

20 kt

+1