Old 15 September 2020, 20:20   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Help needed SIB

Hello everyone. I have just joined your group. its great to be here

I need your help please, I am considering a SIB for fishing and crusing, I am new to the world of Sibs, but not boats having had a boat since I was 15 (43 now)but this is my first time looking into SIB's

I am considering a Honwave, maybe 3.5, or 3.8 but preferably the 4.0. I have the ability to keep the boat at the top of a private slipway, so being set-up at all times is not a problem (no pumping up and deflating needed) however the slipway really needs 2 people to launch boats on (theres a winch system normally) and I want to go out alone, this is where the SIBS ability to launch with there built in wheels comes into play, I need to know from you lovely people if any of the models I have mentioned could be realistically launched and retrieved single handed up a slipway with some shingle on, Its not mountains of shingle but its also not just concrete so its a consideration.

Any advice from people who have had these models would be appreciated,

Many thanks

Mike
Old 15 September 2020, 20:32   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I had the 3.5 aluminium floor Honwave & a 20 hp Tohatsu fourstroke. Get a decent set of transom wheels, I had the Trem heavy duty and make yourself a tow dolly . Launched it many times solo. Don't rule out the weight of fuel tank, anchors , fishing gear etcClick image for larger version

Name:	Sib Dolly.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	135127

Click image for larger version

Name:	allsorts 025.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	135128
Old 15 September 2020, 20:36   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I had the 3.5 aluminium floor Honwave & a 20 hp Tohatsu fourstroke. Get a decent set of transom wheels, I had the Trem heavy duty and make yourself a tow dolly . Launched it many times solo. Don't rule out the weight of fuel tank, anchors , fishing gear etcAttachment 135127

Attachment 135128

Paddlers, I love the look of the Dolly, did you make yourself or buy it ? If you have any additional pictures of that I would love to see, I think with something like that I could get it out easily, did you find it make pulling up a slipway easier with that ?
Mike
Old 15 September 2020, 20:47   #4

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I just bought a couple of wheelbarrow wheels on ebay and some 20mm steel box and a decent snap clip. The handle detached for transport . Just make sure you allow for the wheels to go under the tubes when turning corners. We had a steep bank off the beach where we stay and I managed that so a slipway would be easy.
Old 16 September 2020, 05:57   #5

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
I think for the use you intend the Alu floor (T35 and T40) would be your best bet. The T38 has a blow up high pressure floor and is a very good boat but it is intended mainly for frequent inflation and deflation etc.

The T40 is a very big heavy boat indeed so the T35 might be a better bet. Also the transome wheels are better on the Alu floor boats as they dont have parts of the floor sticking out the back (like the T38) which can make it difficult to fit and use effective wheels
Old 16 September 2020, 19:58   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.watt View Post
however the slipway really needs 2 people to launch boats on (theres a winch system normally)
Did you mean crane or winch? Is the winch functioning? Distance from storage to water? Picture would be good too.

Single handling uphill over shingle is going to be hard. If you are able to winch using a remote, then no problem.

Tags
sib