Old 23 June 2016, 16:27   #1

Length: 3m +
Help identify this Zodiac model? / Long or short shaft?

Hello,

Inherited a Zodiac from my in-laws. I'm trying to find more information about the motor we need, specifically whether long or short shaft.

Information we found online last week (when we ordered and paid for the motor!) indicated that we needed a long shaft. Now I'm worried we have the wrong motor.

Here's the model info:

Would this be the same as the Classic Mark2 C that's on the Zodiac website?
Classic Mark II C - Zodiac Nautic - Inflatable and Rigid Inflatable Boats
Old 23 June 2016, 16:39   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I wonder what age the boat is? Last digits of the serial number will tell you.

What I can say is I have a 2002 Zodiac brochure in front of me and the Mk.1, Mk.2 & Mk.2C are all on the page headed Touring S... and they all take a short shaft. Advised 25hp, Max 35hp for the Mk.2C.
Old 23 June 2016, 16:45   #3

Thanks for the fast reply!

The serial is XDC8815KJ899
Old 23 June 2016, 17:09   #4

So that will be a 1999 boat, forget if its the model year or year built but near enough. So unless there was some change from 1999 to 2002 it's going to be a short shaft you need!

Can you unpack the boat to be absolutely sure it's not been modded on the transom to a long shaft?
Old 23 June 2016, 17:29   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Short shaft. Keep in mind, the boat is designed around a lightweight 2-stroke engine.

Old boat though! The glue bonding is likely to be weak due to the age. That boat has a glued transom and a glued floor, but 100% welded air holding seams, so it wouldn't be a bad boat if the glue was re-done properly.

The Rochefort factory is Zodiac's original factory and it was unfortunately closed in 2010.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 18:14   #6

Uh oh. We planned for a 4-stroke 25HP Mercury at about 170lbs. Are we going to run into trouble?

They previously had a 2-stroke 15 or 20.
Old 23 June 2016, 20:29   #7

In the 2002 brochure the transom is rated to 187lbs so you're just OK. However...

As Office888 mentions have you had a really good pull at the seams around the transom and floor? I would before spending on an outboard.
Old 23 June 2016, 20:33   #8

We haven't checked the seams, no. We're unpacking the boat tonight and setting it up. It was last used two summers ago.

Anything in particular I should look for, aside from checking to see if anything is loose?
Old 23 June 2016, 20:48   #9

I hate to add anything negative to a new to you boat but the Zodiac glue does have a habit of failing and SIBs of this age are prone to it.

As Office888 says above it's the floor attachment to the tubes all the way round and the transom to tube and transom to floor seams need checking. They should be able to withstand you trying to prise them apart with a blunt plastic scraper. You'll soon know if they are weak as they can be peeled apart quite easily.
Old 24 June 2016, 01:20   #10

Well, a lot of surprises. First of all, we found the manual, which shows a lot of the information I was working off — mostly gleaned from boat dealer websites — was incorrect.

The Mark 2C we have is 12'6" (3.8m), with a maximum recommended power of 25HP (and maximum allowed = 35HP).

I was looking at information for the Mark 2, which is 13'9" (4.2m). (Apparently the "Classic" name came after this year).

The long/short debate is null, as we had ordered a 25HP Mercury that is just too heavy for the boat. The motor we had ordered is 175lbs.

The max outboard weight for this Mark 2C is 154lb (70kg).

So, I'm wondering, what do you recommend as a motor for this boat? We're buying Mercury, as that's what our small-town dealer stocks.

They have a 20HP, 15HP and 9.9HP. The weight of each is fine for the boat.

We'll be operating on a large-ish river (in good weather), and on lakes.

Thanks everyone, for the advice. Much appreciated.

ALSO: Checked the seams, looks fine.
Old 24 June 2016, 06:14   #11

That's good re the seams... just keep an eye on them as you use the boat over the years but don't worry overmuch about them.

I asume there is no speed limit on the lakes/rivers you use? If so I would only consider a 15 or 20 and then only a 15 if you are mostly one or two up. If you are three up and/or carry a fair bit of kit I'd get the 20 for certain.

Yep I guess you would be best with the 20hp as it falls in the weight limit... 115lbs gives you a good margin. As a matter of interest I've just bought a new motor... a 20hp Suzuki as they are the lightest in class at 97lbs. As we often do a daily setup a light outboard is important.
Old 24 June 2016, 12:18   #12

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
If you're stuck on a 2015+ Mercury, I'd go with the 20hp or the 9.9hp.

For the size of boat, 9.9hp will get it on plane with a solo operator, but as you add loading, you will quickly taper off that ability.

The 20hp would probably be the best recommendation.

Looks can be deceiving. The only way to be sure is a pull test.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 23:57   #13

Just thought I'd follow up: We went with the 20HP Mercury with electric start. It weighs about 120lbs, so well within weight restrictions.

Huge thanks for all the help!
Old 03 July 2016, 07:04   #14

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I had a Classic Mk IIC. The C stands for Compact. Its a Mk II but a little bit shorter.
I would advise you to not over power, or overweight the transom. At this age the attaching glue is weakened, and over stressing it will cause it to fail. Treat your boat nicely.
I had a 20 HP 2 stroke Evinrude on mine. That was adequate. I modified the engine to make 25 HP. That was much better. I would say a 25 2 stroke is optimal for that boat. Lucky for you, everyone these days wants 4 strokes and high technology. Get an old 2 stroke. Simple, cheap, light weight, proven, and reliable.
I wish I still had my 25 Evinrude. Pull start (no heavy battery) light weight, and totally reliable.

Feel free to ask me more.

Happy boating!

Tags
zodiac