Old 12 November 2009, 00:10   #1

Town: Nr Skipton,N Yorks
Boat name: Er, PANDA
Make: Caesar Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu :))
Hellooo!!

Hi ppl,utter noob signing on.Thanks for a great forum,it has answered lots of questions just reading old posts.Big thanks to howy for selling me such a sexy boat,i got the 40 yam for it tonight.I have no intention to race the boat,i bought it because i am working on a small island in the outer hebrides,and need a small sensible boat to get on/off the island.honest.I have been studying prop selector thingys,but they dont seem to have a category for tunnel hull sibs,i would welcome any advice re maxing my prop to suit boat/motor.Anyway,thanks again ppl,stay free etc,byeee.
Old 12 November 2009, 04:57   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hi Panda,

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find some very helpful, knowledgable folk here. There was an australian based thundercat racing website that had alot of info about thundercat/zapcat setups, prop selection & so on, but I can't seem to find it right now. There are a few fellows here on rib.net that race these boats (Fast Fred & Tom Montgomery Swan come to mind right away), hopefully they will chime in.

Please post up some pictures of your current boat setup.
Old 12 November 2009, 19:10   #3

hi prairie tuber,thanks for the welcome.as well as being noob boater,i am also techno-luddite,just made it into the 20th century at the beginning of the 21st.i will,however,attempt to co-ordinate daylight,camera and computer and post some pics.im planning to go to north west scotland next week with a freind who has 2 newfoundland rescue dogs,he wants to try working them from the ufo.that sounds like a perfect photo oppertunity to me!
Old 12 November 2009, 21:48   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Ive got a worked powertec 15pitch semi cleaver(you can get them from steel developments), which is a really good allrounder. I can pull 3man ringos ect with 3 people in the boat fine with this, also reach a max of about 45 knots 2 up(not towing anything)but i could do with a higher pitch with light loads as it bounces off the rev limiter, my motor is a 50 hp though. If you have light loads, i'd say a 15 pich prop will be fine with your 40, a 14 inch pitch will be ok as an allrounder.

http://www.steeldevelopments.net/erol.html#697X906
Old 13 November 2009, 23:24   #5

hi easyrider,so good to hear from someone with the same shaped boat! i was wondering what the correct hull category was when poring over prop calculators,they dont seem to have one for tunnel hull sibs.from what you say about props, i think the good all round option sounds like the place to start.i'm only using the boat for fun,so it aint mission critical or anything,but having a few props to do different things just right sounds good.thanks muchly for advice,will continue thread in about a month when back from scotland.
Old 15 November 2009, 20:16   #6

Town: Trelogan
Boat name: Supacat
Make: TT-Supacat
Engine: Tohatsu 50 outboard
Hi Panda,

Glad your happy with the boat.
And even more happy that you managed to get yourself an outboard,Yamaha 40,what a cracking motor.

Anyway have mucho fun,and make sure the New Foundlands have had a manicure before they get in the boat,or better still,make them wear some wellies or something.