Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEveritt View Post
Having been trying to learn as much as we can by clicking around we sort of come to the conclusion that 2 stroke outboards were only to be used now on commercial boats because of environmental concerns. We are not massive eco warriors but would like to use a 4 stroke if possible.

I’m a fan of 4 strokes as well, a bit quieter and smoother if also a bit heavier.
I wouldn’t put to sea with one but we have a lot of electric outboards on the Medina and it seems a very peaceful experience.
Old 11 May 2021, 10:04   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A small 2-stroke can be an unobtrusive, reliable, easy to carry, easy to maintain and cheap to run motor. But if you are new to outboard values and any thoughts of checking a used one then maintaining it going forward.... then if I were you I'd buy the best value new major brand small 4-stroke you can.

As said a couple of posts up do not buy a Chinese motor of unknown name that they sell new on Ebay for a few hundred pounds... by and large they are junk with no UK dealer , service or spares support.

But if your budget is still £3000 for the lot and you are only down about £700 for the boat you have a load in hand for any main brand new motor up to 8hp or a lovely quiet elec one still leaving funds for other kit.

BTW when saying main brand motors I mean... Tohatsu, Mercury, Mariner, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha.

If you absolutely have to prune the motor budget to the bone then I'd keep to Boatworld and their offerings as they have proved to care about their customer service.
Old 11 May 2021, 10:55   #23

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
If your keen to get something for this summer then this looks worth chasing ,not a sib man myself but have read alot of posts that end up here !
https://www.findafishingboat.com/hon...e-3-2/ad-74384
Old 11 May 2021, 11:10   #24

Make: Elling kB 350
That’s a pretty good price considering the engine is worth almost the asking price.
Old 11 May 2021, 11:12   #25

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Having been trying to learn as much as we can by clicking around we sort of come to the conclusion that 2 stroke outboards were only to be used now on commercial boats because of environmental concerns. We are not massive eco warriors but would like to use a 4 stroke if possible.
Only new none EFI 2 strokes can be sold to commercial operators (you can or could still buy etec evinrudes for leisure until last eyar when they discontinued outboard production) new, adding more machinery to the planet does more damage than using the existing ones we already cut down the amazon to build...... the "pollution" of a leisure users small hp outboard is so minimal compared to the manufacture and use of a 4 stroke motor dont kid yourself into thinking "its greener"

Buying a tesla to drive 1000 miles per year isnt greener than than old landrover thats been around since the 60's running on leaded petrol, but for 50,000 miles a year you may have an argument over a 5+ year period
Old 11 May 2021, 13:01   #26

Yup. You can't necessarily shop your way out a problem caused by too much shopping.

My 4hp 2 stroke that was bought new almost 40 years ago and is possibly the most environmentally friendly outboard to have ever existed in that it's probably not done more than 50 hours and even now I've started using it again will probably not do more than a dozen hours per season.

I think what you do notice when pottering down inland, tranquil waterways with others paddling boats is that whether 2 or 4 stroke the noise stands out more than it ever did and the modern electric stuff seems quite appealing to just assuage the guilt of being a noisy sod.
Old 11 May 2021, 17:52   #27

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
If your keen to get something for this summer then this looks worth chasing ,not a sib man myself but have read alot of posts that end up here !
https://www.findafishingboat.com/hon...e-3-2/ad-74384

Sold I believe
Old 11 May 2021, 20:21   #28

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Quote:
No we did not go with a Package and we are looking at various small outboard options. In order to keep costs down and bearing in mind the boat is also easily rowed and coupled with the fact that it seems very difficult to buy new small 4 strokes from the main dealers we have been thinking that a little lightweight 4 hp 4 stoke from ebay might be ok.

Listed a small 5hp Here on behalf of a mate
Old 11 May 2021, 20:31   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Oh well there was good opportunity on the thread to offer info that may benefit others in the future... as well as to reinforce what utter junk those Ebay Chinese cheapy outboards are.
Old 11 May 2021, 22:20   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Would I be correct in thinking Miss G?

Aka Coracle Boy iirc
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote