Old 01 May 2021, 17:04   #1

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Heavy Engines

One of the greatest issues to sibbers is the weight of modern 4 strokes over the older 2 strokes.

Given that the Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke is about the lightest in its class at 26 kg and to be honest quite easy to lift and generally it is easy to plane in the right sib with 2 people with 10ish hp.

A better engine power wise is of course the Yam 15 hp 2 stroke weighing in at 36KG Which again is liftable quite easily.

Both of these engines are very hard to come by however.

I have just noticed that the new 9.8 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke which will have plenty of power generally weighs in at 37kg so with oil in it will be about 37.5 kg I recon.

at a cost of about £2200 I am starting to think that this is the best option for new Sibbers buying new kit.
Old 01 May 2021, 17:27   #2

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Heavy Engines

Indeed, and it’s regularly advertised online closer to £1,800!

I’m considering this might be the next upgrade for my excel Volante 330 from my current Suzuki 6hp in a year or two.

Of course I’m secretly hoping technology magically advances yet again and a big brand 15hp 4 stroke is invented weighing under 40kg!
Old 01 May 2021, 17:37   #3

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
You will find that "quite easily" becomes close to barely liftable as you get old, its not just the weight but the package shape that makes it seem to weight much more than it does. For us oldies a 36kg outboard is just about manageable on a slipway hard standing & can be negotiated in/out of the tailgate on or onto a trolley, but a far distant memory are the times of putting it on your shoulder to walk it anywhere.
Old 01 May 2021, 21:28   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Of course I’m secretly hoping technology magically advances yet again and a big brand 15hp 4 stroke is invented weighing under 40kg!
When you find it PK let me know so I can be 2nd in the queue
Old 01 May 2021, 21:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
I have just noticed that the new 9.8 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke which will have plenty of power generally weighs in at 37kg so with oil in it will be about 37.5 kg I recon.

at a cost of about £2200 I am starting to think that this is the best option for new Sibbers buying new kit.
Are you going to buy one SR and do a test for us all? Think it would be appreciated
Old 02 May 2021, 06:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Are you going to buy one SR and do a test for us all? Think it would be appreciated
I am thinking about it.

This guy looks like he can lift it quite easily. He looks strong but not massively so

Old 02 May 2021, 07:13   #7

This chap (Not from around my parts ) Seems to be lifting it ok as well

Old 02 May 2021, 08:08   #8

Heavy Engines

Trouble with all these things is that everyone is different, I’d really have to go and lift one in a shop somewhere before buying it.

I’m a theatre sound engineer in my late twenties, and I lift 26kg speakers all day long at work so I was confident the Suzuki DF6 would be fine.

I was talking about the Tohatsu 9.8 with a friend at Christmas, and we lashed 3 stage weights together (which are conveniently 12.5kg each!) to test the weight. I think it’ll be just on the limit for me, but okay with help from my GF.

I think I’d still be torn between the Suzuki DF9.9A (39kg, not to be confused with the heavier 9.9B) because I love the quality of my DF6, but those two KG will make a difference I’m sure, as is the point of this thread! So keep coming back to the tohatsu.

Look forward to reading your review if you do get one SR!
Old 02 May 2021, 08:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Trouble with all these things is that everyone is different, I’d really have to go and lift one in a shop somewhere before buying it.

I’m a theatre sound engineer in my late twenties, and I lift 26kg speakers all day long at work so I was confident the Suzuki DF6 would be fine.

I was talking about the Tohatsu 9.8 with a friend at Christmas, and we lashed 3 stage weights together (which are conveniently 12.5kg each!) to test the weight. I think it’ll be just on the limit for me, but okay with help from my GF.

I think I’d still be torn between the Suzuki DF9.9 (39kg) because I love the quality of my DF6, but those two KG will make a difference I’m sure, as is the point of this thread! So keep coming back to the tohatsu.

Look forward to reading your review if you do get one SR!
Yes you are completely correct. I am still in the considering it stage and I have just bought a 5 x 4m log cabin so spent quite a lot this month but it is certainly near the top of my wish list
Old 02 May 2021, 12:12   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
See the thing is SR you have two 15hp 2-stroke engines in your collection that give or take 1kg weigh the same as the Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke you crave and their cowls are just about the same bulk so you know exactly what this Tohatsu would be like to lift without need to seek opinion. Likewise you already have a 9.8 Tohatsu albeit in 2-stroke form so you know exactly how you different SIBs will go with that power.

So there is little to discover for your £2200 chucked out on the 9.8 4-stroke which I can tell you from experience is a competent but unexciting engine.

However for some £800 less you could get the very interesting lightweight 30kg Selva 9.9 single cylinder 4-stroke. With it being a second brand maker there will even be the added excitement of possible unreliability which can only add to the attraction for the interest you seek.

https://www.westwalesyamaha.co.uk/pr...-9hp-outboard/

Or you could just do the obvious and buy a new Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke.

No need to thank me.
Old 02 May 2021, 12:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
No need to thank me.
Old 02 May 2021, 14:59   #12

Now THAT is an engine I’d like a review of haha
Old 02 May 2021, 15:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
See the thing is SR you have two 15hp 2-stroke engines in your collection that give or take 1kg weigh the same as the Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke you crave and their cowls are just about the same bulk so you know exactly what this Tohatsu would be like to lift without need to seek opinion. Likewise you already have a 9.8 Tohatsu albeit in 2-stroke form so you know exactly how you different SIBs will go with that power.

So there is little to discover for your £2200 chucked out on the 9.8 4-stroke which I can tell you from experience is a competent but unexciting engine.

However for some £800 less you could get the very interesting lightweight 30kg Selva 9.9 single cylinder 4-stroke. With it being a second brand maker there will even be the added excitement of possible unreliability which can only add to the attraction for the interest you seek.

https://www.westwalesyamaha.co.uk/pr...-9hp-outboard/

Or you could just do the obvious and buy a new Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke.

No need to thank me.
Or I could just spend my money on what I like and also post what I like here to the benefit of others. I am not quite sure what your issue is unless of course it is only you that knows about outboards.

And buying a new 2 stroke for pleasure use would be illegal. I thought you would have known that
Old 02 May 2021, 15:29   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
That Selva does sound interesting. Anyone tried one?
Old 02 May 2021, 15:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
You see several about in the med in marinas. I always thought they were a low end brand like Parsun. I have not seen many in the UK but they could be an option to consider especially at that weight. If it is a single cylinder however it might be a bit of a vibration machine
Old 02 May 2021, 16:00   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I haven't even SEEN one. A thread about it would be very interesting and informative. Someone should do one...

Old 02 May 2021, 16:22   #17

>>>buying a new 2 stroke for pleasure use would be illegal.

Hmm Im not so sure... the application of the law merely needs to meet the standards of the pirate code and it’s all fine.
Old 02 May 2021, 16:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I haven't even SEEN one. A thread about it would be very interesting and informative. Someone should do one...

Well Fenlander is the Engine King one for him perhaps
Old 02 May 2021, 16:34   #19

I hate any behind the scenes hassle so just to be open about stuff this PM just rolled in from SR...

I have to say I find your recent post somewhat annoying. You seem to have an issue with how another person wants to spend their own money and also seem to want to tell them what they can and cannot post on this forum. I think it is just the old green eyed monster on your part.

Just so that you are clear. If I want to buy 1000 engines with the money that I have earned and post the information on here or anywhere else for that matter that is up to me now isn't it.
Old 02 May 2021, 16:34   #20

It looks like there is an electric start version of the motor with the Battery under the cowl

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=198862521777909

Interesting