Old 02 May 2021, 16:38   #21

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I hate any behind the scenes hassle so just to be open about stuff this PM just rolled in from SR...

I have to say I find your recent post somewhat annoying. You seem to have an issue with how another person wants to spend their own money and also seem to want to tell them what they can and cannot post on this forum. I think it is just the old green eyed monster on your part.

Just so that you are clear. If I want to buy 1000 engines with the money that I have earned and post the information on here or anywhere else for that matter that is up to me now isn't it.
Is there any part of that, that you disagree with then Fenlander
Old 02 May 2021, 16:38   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
No reason why the single cylinder 9.9 should be much if an different balance wise than the 2 cylinder versions probably less mass moving in one direction with the selva than there is with the other 2 cylinder engines.
2 cylinder 4 strokes are inherently unbalanced due to the necessity for them to be a 2 up configuration unlike the 2 strokes which are one up one down so each cylinder balances out the other
Old 02 May 2021, 16:41   #23

Quote:
I hate any behind the scenes hassle so just to be open about stuff this PM just rolled in from SR...

I have to say I find your recent post somewhat annoying. You seem to have an issue with how another person wants to spend their own money and also seem to want to tell them what they can and cannot post on this forum. I think it is just the old green eyed monster on your part.

Just so that you are clear. If I want to buy 1000 engines with the money that I have earned and post the information on here or anywhere else for that matter that is up to me now isn't it.
Yeh I got one off him a few days away apparently he's feeling bullied
We realy should all be nicer [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji6]
Old 02 May 2021, 16:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
No reason why the single cylinder 9.9 should be much if an different balance wise than the 2 cylinder versions probably less mass moving in one direction with the selva than there is with the other 2 cylinder engines.
2 cylinder 4 strokes are inherently unbalanced due to the necessity for them to be a 2 up configuration unlike the 2 strokes which are one up one down so each cylinder balances out the other
In this video it looks to be running quite well. This is the electric start version with the battery under the Cowl. Not sure I would like not having the ability to also have a pull start but could be very good for people who perhaps have shoulder issues and struggle to pull start an outboard

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2808739202741687
Old 02 May 2021, 16:43   #25

Quote:
Yeh I got one off him a few days away apparently he's feeling bullied
We realy should all be nicer [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji6]
Old 02 May 2021, 16:43   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes exactly re the smoothness issue beamishken... folks often forget there is smoothness re the mechanical balance as well as power pulses. Suzuki had to put a damper weight on the end of the throttle twistgrip to minimise the out of balance aspect of the 20hp efi.
Old 02 May 2021, 18:33   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
....Suzuki had to put a damper weight on the end of the throttle twistgrip to minimise the out of balance aspect of the 20hp efi.

Interesting, I had noticed that my DF20 was a bit “shaky”, but not having any experience with small tiller steer engines, I just assumed it was the nature of the beast.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2021, 18:33   #28

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
That Selva does sound interesting. Anyone tried one?

Unfortunately no.

Been after a lightweight 8-10 horse four stroke motor for a tiny tunnel hull sib. Obvious choice is the legendary Twatso 9.8 smoker but rare as hen’s teeth, overpriced used, and technically illegal new! Tempted with the single pot 165cc Selva 8 Black Bass at 27kg or the 181cc Selva Piranha 9.9 at 30.5 kilos, done a bit of research, not cheap and seem a bit basic/rattly in the quality dept. plus iffy resale values and limited dealer/servicing here in the UK.

So gone total bargain basement with an Orca 8hp Chinese Yamaha clone from Boatworld. Treating this purchase purely as a test rig...been very critical of all Chinese clones in the past, without ever running one! It weighs in at 27 kilos on our scales and at 165cc is a bored out Yamaha 6...god knows if it actually develops 8hp...not sure we could ever tell tbh.

Picked up a few days ago, it fires up, starts ok, no more rattly than any other mainstream single pot and general fit and finish, whilst not up there with the big six, acceptable nonetheless. Only time will tell if reliable or durable. If good, will sell on cheap next year and someone will get a bargain still under warranty. If crap, it’ll go in the skip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	137190
Old 02 May 2021, 18:48   #29

>>>noticed that my DF20 was a bit “shaky”

Yes it's a feature.... if I remember most noticeable powering away from lower throttle openings. There's just a lump of metal under the end of the throttle rubber to damp it and the claims for white finger... it can make getting a tiller extn to fit a hassle.
Old 02 May 2021, 18:52   #30

>>>bargain basement with an Orca 8hp

Going to be very interesting to hear how this experiment goes given you have good varied experience of tiller steer portable motors.
Old 02 May 2021, 22:59   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Interesting, I had noticed that my DF20 was a bit “shaky”, but not having any experience with small tiller steer engines, I just assumed it was the nature of the beast.
2 cylinder 4 stroke is probably the worst balanced engine you'll ever find . Both pistons need to be at the top & bottom of their strokes at the same time in order to get one cylinder firing every revolution. Makes balancing the mass of the pistons travelling in the same direction difficult without adding extra weight
Old 03 May 2021, 07:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Unfortunately no.

Been after a lightweight 8-10 horse four stroke motor for a tiny tunnel hull sib. Obvious choice is the legendary Twatso 9.8 smoker but rare as hen’s teeth, overpriced used, and technically illegal new! Tempted with the single pot 165cc Selva 8 Black Bass at 27kg or the 181cc Selva Piranha 9.9 at 30.5 kilos, done a bit of research, not cheap and seem a bit basic/rattly in the quality dept. plus iffy resale values and limited dealer/servicing here in the UK.

So gone total bargain basement with an Orca 8hp Chinese Yamaha clone from Boatworld. Treating this purchase purely as a test rig...been very critical of all Chinese clones in the past, without ever running one! It weighs in at 27 kilos on our scales and at 165cc is a bored out Yamaha 6...god knows if it actually develops 8hp...not sure we could ever tell tbh.

Picked up a few days ago, it fires up, starts ok, no more rattly than any other mainstream single pot and general fit and finish, whilst not up there with the big six, acceptable nonetheless. Only time will tell if reliable or durable. If good, will sell on cheap next year and someone will get a bargain still under warranty. If crap, it’ll go in the skip.

Attachment 137190
That will be a very interesting experiment. I sort of feel the following it true on a sib that will take 2 people such as the T38IE:

1) With any motor over 9.8 hp it will plane easily with 1 or 2 people
2) with one person it will plane with a 6 hp 4 stroke but will struggle with 2 people
3) A 9.8 2 stroke is easy to carry a 9.8 4 Stroke is doable but on the heavy side.

So if this Orca does actually deliver 8 hp at about 26KG (Same weight as the 9.8 tohatsu 2 stroke) then it could be a winner for new sibbers as I think it will most likely plane with 2 people and is not a bad price.

Is the Orca brand gaining a good reputation yet I wonder

Either way this test will be very interesting
Old 03 May 2021, 09:08   #33

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
2 cylinder 4 stroke is probably the worst balanced engine you'll ever find . Both pistons need to be at the top & bottom of their strokes at the same time in order to get one cylinder firing every revolution. Makes balancing the mass of the pistons travelling in the same direction difficult without adding extra weight

Thanks for the explanation Ken, makes sense [emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 21:29   #34

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
Mercury 3 5 hp to 5 0 hp upgrade Kit

Why not a 6hp to 10hp replacement kit
Old 11 May 2021, 22:40   #35

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by billows View Post
Mercury 3 5 hp to 5 0 hp upgrade Kit

Why not a 6hp to 10hp replacement kit
I purchased this very kit from the US and am very pleased with it so far. However others need not do this and risk a customs charge and incur additional shipping cost. Just buy the Chinese carb and alloy prop off Ebay. Any questions please ask.