Old 19 July 2012, 20:16   #21

Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Excellent, I think the timings work for us. Would be good to have someone experienced around. Will have our youngest, wife is saying she is I'll and may not come.... Guess we will see who turns up! Wouldn't mind a little fishing as well...
Old 20 July 2012, 17:17   #22

Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Plans all changed, went to straits today as the forecast was better there than ullswater, in reality it wasn't that great, but managed to get to new borough beach and see the castle from the water... Was windier than advertised and a bit choppy... Got a bit wet. Gps plotter had us up at 24mph which felt a bit hairy being so close to the water but really enjoyed it. Not sure where to go tomorrow, I'll work it out in the morning.

Chris won't you be outgunning me, mine is only a 3.6 sib with 20hp outboard. If we are straits bound we will be there around 11, but not sure now.

I guess sib virginity has been broken and a fairly successful trip out was had.
Old 22 July 2012, 08:09   #23

Town: te awamutu
Boat name: na
Make: aqua marina
Length: under 3m
Engine: electric
Hi, I haven't been a member of this website very long, but living in NZ, and reading so many posts about the legal hassles of owning a boat in England absolutely staggers me.

It certainly makes me appreciate the simplicity of boat ownership in NZ. No compulsary insurance, boat registration, clup membership, launching fees or licencing Qualifications etc. I can throw my inflatable onto the car trailer and go to any coastal or freshwater boat ramp and launch.

I take my hat off to those who persevere with the bureaucracy to enjoy your sport.

On the minus side of boating here, is the increasing number of clowns that think deep pockets means no learning is required. People will spend $60,000 on a gin palace and nothing for a the basic things like fenders, ropes etc.
Life jackets must be carried for each person on board, but is not compulsory to be worn.

Over the last 30 years, the PC brigade have forced most schools to close their swimming pools, and now we have a whole generation, of whom few have learnt to swim. Hence, our drownings go through the roof each summer.
Old 22 July 2012, 10:12   #24

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa154 View Post
Hi, I haven't been a member of this website very long, but living in NZ, and reading so many posts about the legal hassles of owning a boat in England absolutely staggers me.

It certainly makes me appreciate the simplicity of boat ownership in NZ. No compulsary insurance, boat registration, clup membership, launching fees or licencing Qualifications etc. I can throw my inflatable onto the car trailer and go to any coastal or freshwater boat ramp and launch.

I take my hat off to those who persevere with the bureaucracy to enjoy your sport.

On the minus side of boating here, is the increasing number of clowns that think deep pockets means no learning is required. People will spend $60,000 on a gin palace and nothing for a the basic things like fenders, ropes etc.
Life jackets must be carried for each person on board, but is not compulsory to be worn.

Over the last 30 years, the PC brigade have forced most schools to close their swimming pools, and now we have a whole generation, of whom few have learnt to swim. Hence, our drownings go through the roof each summer.
The description you give about the regulations in NZ is the same in the UK.

You dont need any registration, training, insurance, or equipment. You are not required to carry or own any lifesaving or safety equipment, not even a lifejacket.There are no rules regarding drunk boating either.

Many people undertake the training etc as a good idea, and carry safety equipment as it is sensible. Of course insurance is a good idea as well, although not required, by law but many privately owned slips, and some owned by harbour authorities will require it to use their facilities.

There are some by laws operated in some harbour area's which require some things, but by and large, coastal boating requires nothing, legal wise anyway.

Not everyone agrees with the situation, and there have been a number of passionate threads with points argued for and against regulations.
Old 29 July 2012, 20:16   #25

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridge View Post
Plans all changed, went to straits today as the forecast was better there than ullswater, in reality it wasn't that great, but managed to get to new borough beach and see the castle from the water... Was windier than advertised and a bit choppy... Got a bit wet. Gps plotter had us up at 24mph which felt a bit hairy being so close to the water but really enjoyed it. Not sure where to go tomorrow, I'll work it out in the morning.

Chris won't you be outgunning me, mine is only a 3.6 sib with 20hp outboard. If we are straits bound we will be there around 11, but not sure now.

I guess sib virginity has been broken and a fairly successful trip out was had.
sorry, missed you on the Friday & Saturday, hope you managed to get out and enjoy the Straits, plenty of good cruising hopefully catch up with again some time