Old 19 April 2015, 13:36   #1

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
General questions about Avon boats

So I've read some of the general history of Avon boats (and the company) on various forum websites, but most of what I've read doesn't go much beyond the point when the company was acquired by Zodiac's parent company in the early 2000's.

When did they discontinue making the smaller tender series (Rovers) and dingy boats under the Avon brand name... was that around 2010?

If I understand correctly, the only boats currently being built & sold with the "Avon" logo are the MIL/PRO line, a couple of the life raft models, and a few of the Jet boat RIB models?

~Mike
Old 20 April 2015, 19:39   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Life raft models are gone. Jet boats are still being sold in Europe I believe?

Parts are getting tough to find, but luckily, most of it is fairly generic (Leafield valves, any hypalon fabric works, Avon used very simple oars, seats are easily fabbed, etc).
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 14:41   #3

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
From what I understand, it was competition from cheaper PVC boats that was one of the main factors in the demise of the market for Avon's smaller Hypalon boats.

I have noticed that (aside from valves and a few other misc. parts) many of the bigger Avon parts & accessories are hard to find in the U.S. I was looking for the accessory 2nd seat kit p/n V00055 with no luck. I see they are available in the UK, for a price from Ron Hale Marine, but I'm sure shipping to the U.S. would be a small fortune.
Old 22 April 2015, 20:36   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover310 View Post
From what I understand, it was competition from cheaper PVC boats that was one of the main factors in the demise of the market for Avon's smaller Hypalon boats.

I have noticed that (aside from valves and a few other misc. parts) many of the bigger Avon parts & accessories are hard to find in the U.S. I was looking for the accessory 2nd seat kit p/n V00055 with no luck. I see they are available in the UK, for a price from Ron Hale Marine, but I'm sure shipping to the U.S. would be a small fortune.
You are completely correct.

The newgoers to the inflatable market have a poor concept of value. I cannot fault them, since most of the cheaper boats do a fairly good job fluffing themselves up. However, the off-brand products simply do not last at all, especially anything that is glued PVC. A PVC boat made with quality material, of sound construction with a high strength layup, and high quality adhesive (Bostik is popular), even that boat has a maximum lifespan of about 8-12 years. Less if it is not maintained or left out in the sun to roast.

Have you tried contacting Defender? They tend to have a lot of stock. If not them, there are many others. I think IBC in Portland, OR still carries the Avon Milpro lineup boats?
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote