Old 07 July 2015, 08:55   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Future of the Aerotec?

I've not had my Aerotec on the water yet (that will have changed in under 7 days though) but I'm already wondering if it proves on balance of abilities the best SIB for our needs what to do about making sure we have one for the next 10-15yr period.

Zodiac/Bombard seem in a mess at the moment and a google on "Bombard Aerotec 380" doesn't bring up any sort of makers website in the first 40 results.

Google on Zodiac and their website doesn't list the Aerotec at all as far as I can see.

I've just had a word with a helpful Zodiac dealer who said there has been and/or will be a gap in SIB production until later in the year as the new "owner" of Zodiac sorts out the company. Apparently it is likely their range will be slimmed but with the Aerotec likely to be kept.... or so the dealer thought.

Does make you wonder though... is this the time to buy the newest one possible to last another 10-15yrs??
Old 07 July 2015, 09:41   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I'd stick with the one you have got and fixed up. You know it's good to go now and I'd just do any running repairs as they come along and in the meantime look out for a newer used (red ) one, they are silly money brand new. I'm not sure they will start falling apart after a certain time period, how's it's been looked after is more important than age.
Old 07 July 2015, 10:35   #3

Interestingly the dealer I spoke to said without repair they are estimated at an 18yr life so a nearly new one (as I'm a good bit older than you) would take me to 70 plus!

>>>they are silly money brand new

I suppose we all think of stuff differently but I can already see from this old one the extra build quality over the Fastrollers we had... they were around £1400 if I remember... so £2000 needs thinking about but isn't crazy. Not like a Zodiac Classic at £3000+ for example. Or compared to the £2000 for our daughters first insurance policy we're about to take out!!
Old 07 July 2015, 10:48   #4

Ahh, I guess, I very rarely buy anything new, except food, fuel etc!

Aren't they £2200 at Ron Hale/Penine/BMC?
Old 07 July 2015, 11:11   #5

I tend to look at it in the round... SIBs and boating with up to 15hp outboards has been so cheap over the past decade a spend now and again balances out overall.

Yep I don't think anyone will sell much under £2200 at the moment... particularly as production is halted currently.

It's just I'm at home doing the final boat kit buying and sorting/packing ready for the holiday... my mind wanders over the what ifs.
Old 07 July 2015, 11:21   #6

BTW... just making up the transom lift packers and painting. Going to make three as I have 14mm, 20mm & 26mm timber so between them I can experiment
Old 07 July 2015, 11:42   #7

I think you'll need the 26mm. Will post some links in the other Aerotec topic on this.
Old 07 July 2015, 13:22   #8

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
I paid 1900 for mine ( ex display ) which is a lot but when i was looking there were none for sale and the ones that eventually came up seemed expensive for 10yr + old. Of course ive seen loads come up since, always the way!
Anyway i plan to look after and hold on to it so i reckon long term it wont seem so expensive.
Problem ive got is i cant stop looking at Seariders, aghh.
Back to topic, ive just measured my transom which has been raised by 29mm. Any higher and the 15 mariner wont fit correctly on the plate.
Old 07 July 2015, 17:26   #9

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I've had a lot of sibs over the years (over 30 ) and I have to agree with you, the Aerotec is the best packable big sib there is.

It constantly amazed me how small and light it was to pack up and then how good it was on the water, with a 25hp 2 stroke it was a flying machine and my kids even managed to ski behind it when they were smaller.
Old 09 July 2015, 08:18   #10

>>>just measured my transom which has been raised by 29mm. Any higher and the 15 mariner wont fit correctly on the plate.

Thanks Steve. In the end I've come down to making up 12mm, 20mm & 26mm softwood packers which give me the option of going up to 32mm with the first two combined... accepting this is a bit over what might readily fit. I'm taking tools so I could move the alloy pad and outer timber pad up if it came to that.

I've drilled them all the same to mate with small no.8 screw pilot holes I've put in the transom so it's not quite so fiddly as trying them loose. When I know what's ideal I'll do it properly with a hardwood packer and sealer.