Old 01 August 2020, 23:21   #1

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Futura SpeedTubes need Help

Ive been dealing with my speedtubes leaking? blowing out regularly. New leaks move around- so bad patching is not the problem. Perhaps my over HP is part of the problem but Ill blame it on design/ thinner fabric. its the PVC releasing from the fabric. I'm told the speed tubes fail on most all the futuras. It's the last two inches at the transom.
So Im thinking of one of two options. Make two foam replicants and shove them in the sleeves/pockets that are attached to the hull like the inflatable speed tubes do.
Or fill the speed tubes with flexible foam.
I know all the problems with both of these versions but I have to do something. Im told to order new speed tubes takes 4 months. I do have one new speed tube that was a warranty replacement I never needed to use. I figure I can get enough for it on ebay to someone desperate. It will pay for my replacements.

So the questions I have.
1- Does anyone know of an expanding foam that is flexible but firm like a body board foam? (Boogie Board)
This solution will require a two part fiberglass mold to keep the pvc speed tube from over expanding and tearing open while foam is expanding. That I can make.
2- Im looking at sheet foam from the family of foam types again like Boogie boards to laminate together with glue. Sheets come 2" thick. But I can't seem to get info on what glue is right. Lots of bad info on youtube, but I want the inside a bodyboard factory kind of Intel.
3- Anyone know about boxing and martial arts helmets foam and the plastic dip they use to skin them? This would work very well. I have a source for the foam. I think it's the same stuff used in "life vest belts" from the 50's for water skiing.

Any info will help. thx
Old 02 August 2020, 02:03   #2

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard, Diesel
Look up toob seal. Might be the answer to your problem.
Old 02 August 2020, 04:41   #3

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Hurricane View Post
Look up toob seal. Might be the answer to your problem.
I use it. It only stops the small holes. This last repair I cut open the tube to see what’s going on inside. Toobseal was covering most of the area but it was only sticking by static cling. The smooth interior let’s toobseal peal off with only a light touch. Disappointed to say the least.

Tags
tubes