Old 06 August 2016, 13:27   #1

Length: 4m +
futura mk III

I am looking to buy a Futura Mk III

Trying to get info on the boat's durability.

Can any one having been an owner of such a boat for about three years
or more comment on that?
Old 07 August 2016, 07:49   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Zodiac Futura is a bit of a classic. In terms of durability, you'll find many of these boats going strong 15-20 years after manufacture if well maintained. Material is Strongan Duotex (PVC). The MK III is big at 4.7m and if it were me I'd be looking for one with an aluminium floor (HD) rather than the air floor (FR) for rigidity. Power to weight ratio, then a 50hp is perfect. Can be built from 2 bags, but for ease of use, then trailering is the way to go, given the weight of the outboard, plus rigging.

Lots of Zodiac accessories and seat kits available, but be warned... they're not cheap.
Old 07 August 2016, 13:10   #3

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I have one. Its durable.
Old 07 August 2016, 16:12   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
As of 2016, all Futuras still have all welded air holding seams and a glued floor + glued transom. The longevity of the glued components is a key factor in the boat... Typically, you'll get 6-15 years depending on use and care.

They have a fairly shallow draft and are light weight. They can handle the rough stuff, but you'll find that it is very fatiguing to the operator and passengers.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 01:32   #5

Town: Toronto
Make: Zodiac Futura MKII
Engine: Merc 50
I have a 2001 Zodiac MKII, when I purchased it, it was a mess but it is now rebuilt with a new transom and re-glued floor and it flies! In fact we clocked it at 53mph last weekend. They might require service every few years but the fun factor is well worth it IMHO

Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	115056

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	115057

Name:	sm.zodiacsideview.jpg
Views:	1542
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	115055
Old 13 August 2016, 15:02   #6

OK guys;

Thanks for taking time to answer.

I'v never had this type of boat before, and a lot of questions come to mind.

One of them is the following. I shall be using this boat on rivers ( sometimes shallow) on rather large lakes, and on occasion on the St-Lawrence river.

Would a jet outboard give satifactory performance in most cases. I am particularly concerned with the motor sucking in air rather than water in choppy conditions?

If you have any experience of this your comment would be appreciated.
Old 25 August 2016, 11:24   #7

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: Futura
Length: 3m +
Hi, I currently own a Zodiac Futura S Mark 1 with speed tubes etc...it's a really great boat, but does anybody know the difference between the MK1, MK2 and MK3... then the difference between C and FR. As I thought FR meant 'floor roller', however my futura is an FR but it has Alu floor. Could anybody help?
Many thanks
Old 25 August 2016, 12:48   #8

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
Just sold mine a few weeks ago. It was a Futura Mark II. Excellent boat. I had the aluminium floor version and console and seats. Boat was a 2007 and the engine a 2001 Yamaha 25HP 2 stroke. The boat planned well with that engine (long shaft). Boat was durable, stable in light winds and slight chop. Speed tubes made cornering amazing. I would highly recommend it if you want a light fully inflatable boat that you can lock away in the shed for the winter with no storage hassles etc. I also had transom wheels and invested in an outboard trolley to help move the engine around. If you want something that you will keep on a trailer all year round and possibly use in the sea with bigger waves etc a RIB will feel more comfortable and will "feel" more solid. Horses for courses and I have just upgraded to a Zodiac 550 Pro Open so i stuck with Zodiac which is reflective of the quality of the boats. All in - highly recommended.
Old 25 August 2016, 13:40   #9

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuraz View Post
Hi, I currently own a Zodiac Futura S Mark 1 with speed tubes etc...it's a really great boat, but does anybody know the difference between the MK1, MK2 and MK3... then the difference between C and FR. As I thought FR meant 'floor roller', however my futura is an FR but it has Alu floor. Could anybody help?
Many thanks
MK = size

MK1 = 11'6" ish
MK2C (MK2 Compact) = 12'6" ish
MK2 = 13'6" ish
MK3 = 14'6" ish

I say "ish", because it is plus or minus a few inches depending on the year and model.

FR = Fastroller. Air-floor model.

The floors can be swapped between models, so you can put an aluminum floor in a fastroller model.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote