Old 05 January 2016, 11:36   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Fishing from SIB - tackle advice

Calling all you SIB fishermen (and ladies) out there...

So I want to get my son a rod for fishing off the SIB… there seem to be far too many options around for me to make a sensible decision. He’s only 6 (about the age I first went fishing) so something he can handle easily is a must, 6ft – 7ft max, but also something that should he hook a cod or several mackerel will handle the load when dad steps in to help. Also something dad can steal/borrow when son is not on board.

I’m stuck between getting a no-brand rod & multiplier for about £30 (something like rod+reel) or getting something that is a little better and will last, perhaps £20-£30 on a rod and £60 ish on a multiplier (rod and reel ).

Or even this 2xrod+reel so we can compete ;-)

I’ve not bought tackle for 20 odd years but seem to recall Shakespeare and Daiwa were brands to be trusted back in the day.

I don't want to break the bank as this is a bit of fun/not serious fishing but similarly I don't want something that will frustrate him or I and become a chore due to cheap kit... buy good buy once and all that!

Any help would be appreciated – thanks.

Stig
Old 05 January 2016, 13:29   #2

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Hi Stig

I'd be looking at the shimano vengeance spinning rod around £20-30 and a fixed spool reel to match the rod.

It's down to personal taste but I much prefer the lighter rods which allow the fish to give a good fight. I'm guessing you will be inshore fishing and have to be realistic at the size of fish you are likely to catch.
Multipliers and youngsters? Not for me, they will look like Slinky Malinki in no time with over runs, birds nests etc..

With proper technique, lift and wind down, a light rod can play and land a big fish no problem. But for me anyway, it's not much fun landing small stuff on a 20-30lbs class poker.

Good luck! Steve.
Old 05 January 2016, 17:04   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I found a 7 foot rod was a bit long and a faff about on my 3.2 sib so I bought a 5 foot boat rod much better something like this on ebay
Old 05 January 2016, 17:45   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I ordered from Glasgow angling centre loads of choice and advice.

Cheers
Old 05 January 2016, 20:15   #5

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow
Old 05 January 2016, 21:02   #6

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
For 'normal' drop-it-down-wind-it-up boat fishing you could do a lot worse than the 2 rod outfit you've listed as a starter kit.
The reels have level winds & that will save you having to lay the line using your thumb evenly across the spool every time you retrieve which soon becomes a PITA.
Perfectly capable of dealing with most things you come across - esp a full house of mackerel!
If you want to cast then I'd agree with SteveM as you'll find it easier with a fixed spool.
My own boat rods are by Penn - bought for next to nothing at a tackle show years ago - 6' long 15-30lb class (I wouldn't go any heavier) with Abu Ambassador 6000 multipliers loaded with braid. I use carp rods - 12' - with fixed spool reels also loaded with braid for plugging & spinning. And trout fly rods which are huge fun for mackerel & bass plus the number of surprised faces when I unload a fly rod from the boat at the end of the day!
Might be worth you considering making up a lanyard to put on your son's rod just to be sure it doesn't disappear over the side.
I've had stuff from Glasgow Angling Centre & never had any problems dealing with them.

(I'd suggest around a dozen leads & attach them to the end of the traces with paper clips. When the lead does get stuck the clip will usually straighten out & you'll only lose the lead.)
Old 06 January 2016, 05:52   #7

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
definitely recommend braid line worth the extra money
Old 06 January 2016, 06:50   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Stick with a fixed spool, so much easier for them. My kids each had one of these to use - New Kayak/Canoe Fishing Rod + Abu Reel + Line, Ocean,Sea,River | eBay

Not the best but small enough to fit on the sib easily, great to use and I've had three mackerel at a time on and a few fairly big pollack and it copes well.

Also worth adding a leash and clipping on as they little ones do have a habit of dropping things.............

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 09:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Stick with a fixed spool, so much easier for them. My kids each had one of these to use - New Kayak/Canoe Fishing Rod + Abu Reel + Line, Ocean,Sea,River | eBay

Sounds great, I'm sure that in the early years something cheap, easy and not costing a fortune is the best... Thanks all
Old 06 January 2016, 09:33   #10

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Agree with the other comments on the spin reels, my kids started off with them and still use them now from catching bait to broadbill.

Jon
Old 06 January 2016, 15:43   #11

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I would recommend that you go in to a decent tackle shop, take any advice offered and buy a cheapish package. The shorter kayak rods could be ideal for a 6 year old. But if not a lightweight 6 foot or less boat rod no more than a 12lb class. I would say a cheap multiplier would be ideal for dropping bait straight down. Get a star drag clutch as you can adjust the freespool drag settings to prevent over run. Don't use braid! It'll cut in to little damp fingers too easily. So get monofilament about 15lbs should be plenty to start off with.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 17:07   #12

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Ha, I knew you would get loads of different advice. I do use braid as it lets me use less weight therefore you can use lighter tackle. Also the bite detection is great. More expensive though!
Old 06 January 2016, 19:52   #13

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Fishing from SIB - tackle advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Ha, I knew you would get loads of different advice. I do use braid as it lets me use less weight therefore you can use lighter tackle. Also the bite detection is great. More expensive though!

I'd go 9ft spinning rod fixed spool reel & braid ideal for small sibs it will keep the hooks away from the sib as well when reeling up there's plenty combo outfits out there can't go wrong with penn fishing gear & it'll last if wash down after use 👍
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 21:47   #14

My kids all got into fishing at around 4yrs old (eldest now 15).

Any decent tackle store owners normally help out a new and hopefully life time new young customer. Even the best tackle stores have budget gear tailored towards kids, often in their favorate colours etc.

My kids started very young as I did at 4 yrs old. Mine were lucky to have the opportunity to use braided lines right from the start. This makes the smallest of bites easier for kids to feel and allows them to fish with far less lead.

There's no reason a child or adult should cut themselves on braid (they don't need to hold the line) and if they did they could do the same with mono. I always join a mono leader to braid.

Multi's are to hard for most kids starting out with in my opinion and over this side of the pond fast becoming less used even by adults. Over here anglers are using spin reels on giant tuna, Marlin and all sorts of once thought unstoppable fish.

My kids get semi sponsorship from a few companies now which has been quite hard as often they were given gear they didn't really enjoy using even though it was free. They tend to now use very short (5ft) parabolic rods with spin reels capable of extreme drag settings for knocking over broadbill, tuna and yellowtail kingfish etc (yes they do).

We tend to use mainly circle hooks unless lure fishing, even on lures we swap the trebles for singles which give better hook up rates as well as less dangerouse for kids. We never seem to worry about hooks in our rib even while constantly jigging where things can become kayotic at times.

Over here shimano give 10 year warranties on all their reels even the cheap kids reels which is a or great testimate to the company. At times my kids set themselves challenges on the best fish on the cheapest outfit, this normally ends with big dolphin fish around 10kg on a sub £10 outfit.

Jon
Old 06 January 2016, 22:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
My kids all got into fishing at around 4yrs old (eldest now 15).

Any decent tackle store owners normally help out a new and hopefully life time new young customer. Even the best tackle stores have budget gear tailored towards kids, often in their favorate colours etc.

Jon
Went into a tackle shop in Penzance last summer & they had a selection of rods & reels in what I can best describe as Barbie pink. I kid you not. (And yes, I was briefly tempted, if only for the entertainment value!)
Old 07 January 2016, 10:53   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Went into a tackle shop in Penzance last summer & they had a selection of rods & reels in what I can best describe as Barbie pink. I kid you not. (And yes, I was briefly tempted, if only for the entertainment value!)
We have a barbie pink outfit from their younger days.

Jon
Old 07 January 2016, 11:21   #17

I usually flatten barbs - esp on trebles as it makes unhooking from the fish AND the net much easier. Plus less damage to fish being put back. (Same as I do with coarse & trout fishing.)
I've had a play with circles but the majority of my boat fishing I use one or other of the various lures - eels, shads, worms - by Redgill, Eddystone etc which generally come with their own hooks.
Plugs & spoons seem to invariably come with trebles & I'm interested in your comment about conversion to singles. Are you using standard singles or the ones that are sold supposedly specifically for converting - this sort of thing: OWNER HOOKS - Treble Hooks
Old 07 January 2016, 21:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
I usually flatten barbs - esp on trebles as it makes unhooking from the fish AND the net much easier. Plus less damage to fish being put back. (Same as I do with coarse & trout fishing.)
I've had a play with circles but the majority of my boat fishing I use one or other of the various lures - eels, shads, worms - by Redgill, Eddystone etc which generally come with their own hooks.
Plugs & spoons seem to invariably come with trebles & I'm interested in your comment about conversion to singles. Are you using standard singles or the ones that are sold supposedly specifically for converting - this sort of thing: OWNER HOOKS - Treble Hooks
Singles tend to have better holding rates than trebles on game fish. Even these little x-raps hold well on tuna, I think they would make a good lure on big bass. By the way I believe you have new regulations and are no longer slowed to take bass, with huge fines for anyone that does.

Jon

Old 08 January 2016, 10:40   #19

Thanks. I'll buy some & pop them on the plugs I have. I pike fish as well so be interesting to see the difference.
The latest on the bass situation is that from January to June:
1. Sport anglers will not be allowed to keep any.
2. Commercial fishing for them will be stopped for 2 months then normal service will resume for them.
This is a letter to George Eustice MP from the Cornish Federation of Sea Anglers:
Blog — Henry Gilbey
Quite what will happen during the 2 months to those caught as bycatch by the commercials in view of the discard changes I don't know.
Old 14 January 2016, 06:42   #20
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
I still use my Daiwa SGA1355 reel which I bought in about 1980. It has about 5000,000 miles on it lol. As long as it's not crushed and maintained - lubricated Never had a problem with it. Though it's been used only in fresh water. Feel the important thing is using a high quality line. As for the rod..most all, depending on budget work.