Old 05 March 2013, 21:56   #21

Town: St Vincent &The Grenadine
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz56
Good point about the aux motor location, chaps.

The thought had occurred when I was looking at rear lift tabs and thought how could I fit a pair of wheels as well. But I did find a place selling specially curved ones. I was thinking how cluttered the back of the boat would be - surely all that would weaken the transom?.

Will I need rear tabs for a 12/14ft'er powered by 18hp? (yes, I'm looking at larger boats now, if I get a trailer as you guys suggest) Or a hydrofoil on the motor?
Old 05 March 2013, 21:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

lol - just kidding - good point

just had a cr#ppy day at work - that did make me laugh. Thank you.

Probably invalidate the warranty as well.
Old 05 March 2013, 21:59   #23

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Willk, nice scissors by the way. If your engine is sitting at the perfect transom heigh no need for them, are usefull when having small water splashes at back transom and at close turns.

Happy Boating
Old 05 March 2013, 22:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz56 View Post
Good point about the aux motor location, chaps.
Will I need rear tabs for a 12/14ft'er powered by 18hp? (yes, I'm looking at larger boats now, if I get a trailer as you guys suggest) Or a hydrofoil on the motor?
Don't buy trim tabs or hydofoils before testing your boat/engine combo. Have you decided for a 12 or 14 footer sib/rib ? If you are already going for a trailer as recommended, it's the perfect excuse for going straight for a 380/420 rib...

Happy Boating
Old 06 March 2013, 21:40   #25

yes indeed. But I won't get one - there are many reasons not least is the real chance of theft in the area in which i live, unfortunately. a doctor was burgled twice last year, over $30k stolen in jewellery. my immediate neighbours have caught 2 others and given them 'plenty licks' including the ritualistic mashing of the feet with a hammer. then they call the police.

Re brands I checked out JP and they look pretty rugged. I am considering Seamax's Ocean 380t/430T and the Newport Catalina 12'6".

Any thoughts on those?
Old 07 March 2013, 12:18   #26

Do thieves likes to go boating too ? Those kind of islanders probably not, what's the issue with JP Inflatables, being a heavy duty 1.2 mm fabric cost more but lasts much longer than both Seamax, Newport stardard standard PVC 0.9 mm fabrics.

Personallt wouldn't go for Seamax, have 2 at the shop with most of the upper tube accesories unglued and are less than 2 years old. High UV seems to unglue parts very fast specially if using cheap PVC glues or factory poorly glued, temp issues when assembling.

With respect to Newport and Amazon, check buyers reviews, not many favorable same ungluing issues, be aware of this. You pay for what you buy, don't go cheapo is wanting a long lasting sib specially if there are no o 0 repairing service stations in your area.

If I were going fishing/boating often a JP Patrol series 380 + Tohatsu 2 strokes 18 HP would be my choice as a starter sib/engine seaworthy combo. What happened with your $ 15 K boating budget ?

Happy Boating
Old 07 March 2013, 20:58   #27

Loco - no issues with the JP boats. In fact I have thought long and hard over what I have read here and other forums and decided that i really like the JP 'Patrol' series.

I have had a closer look at 14ft boats and appreciate they are a step up in size from the 12ft'ers. I think they will be too big for me.

So I think I am going to go with your suggestion 3.8 patrol + 18 hp Tohatsu.

You are so right about not going cheap - I can't afford to have too many problems as support will be almost non-existent on SVG. What is it they say - "buy cheap, pay twice" ?

Re my budget - I am a Procurement Consultant by trade, so, even though I have a budget, my instincts are not to spend it all and get the best value for my buck that I can. Anyway, I need some money left over for some accessories and a trailer.

To all who took the time to contribute - thank you so much. I know I would not have reached this decision by myself.

Gaz
Old 08 March 2013, 04:56   #28

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz56 View Post

You are so right about not going cheap - I can't afford to have too many problems as support will be almost non-existent on SVG. What is it they say - "buy cheap, pay twice" ?

Or conversely; "When you buy quality, you only cry once."
Old 08 March 2013, 08:06   #29

Indeed! LOL.
Old 08 March 2013, 13:11   #30

Gaz,

A 420 sib is too big as a starter sib, you'll be extremely happy with the JP-380- Tohatsu 18 performance, that horse beats any other 15 HP brand.

Try to get from West Marine/Defender or any other marine source a big bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant, could be applied once each month, perfect UV enhibitor, along a cover. To have a real size idea of a 380 sib and 18 horse...

Get launching wheels if doing small distances house/water in/outs and a trailer if planing taking combo to other remote places.

Post some nice pics once you have that combo floating on Carribean waters, if having any tech issues installing sib/engine or at first outing just post, have fun.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	380 Sib 18 HP.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	77395  
Old 22 May 2013, 22:35   #31

If anyone is still interestd in my saga. I went to see the boat builder, Arnold Hazell, on Bequia on Sunday at the fishing centre there at Paget Farm.
A very pleasant chap. We agreed on a 15ft with a 30hp moter - in all probability Yamaha. EVERYONE uses Yamaha on the island it seems. Not surprising as they have an outlet on SVG.

I'm still quite surprised that master boat builder would make a boat for me, but I'm not complaining.
I am assured the motor will be plenty powerful enough and I'll be able to island hop. We are planning in some fishing rod holders, a bimini shade and some storage under the foredeck. Mr Hazell will tell me what materials to purchase and he will charge me a sum for the build. 3 months to finish from receipt of materials. Just in time for my birthday. I can't wait.
Old 22 May 2013, 23:15   #32

Length: 3m +
Sounds cool...if you can get some pics that will be great