Old 07 September 2013, 17:05   #1

Town: hyde
Boat name: patriot
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
fishin sib

im picking your brains here lads ,,right ,im skint ok not worked since a heart bypass last june , i catch lots of bass off the shore but most invoves a long walk ,so,,,,,,,i have bought a 3 mtr sib ,,but im not 100 pr cent happy ,what is the best outfit within reasonable costs for me ,i wont be going off ,its mainly coast hugging around anglesey im really impressed with the pics of the avon fast roller in the fishing thread ,so im going to sell lots of my fishing shooting stuff & want the best ,to be honest i wanted to place a bid on landlockedpirates futura but my ebay fecked up ,,,give me a clue lads , which is the best at a decent price ?? cheers pete
Old 07 September 2013, 17:59   #2

Town: Oop North
I'm sure the more learned ones on here will say the same, not enough info.

Just a few questions that spring to mind.
Where are you launching from?
Will you have to drive there?
Will it be just you?
How fit are you?
What's your price range?

If you have to drive to, then inflate every time, it's just you, and you're not the fittest in the world, then a 3m SIB with a 9.8 2 stroke could be just the job for close in fishing.
If you're a bit fitter and/or like taking a mate out, then a 3.4m with a 15hp 2 stroke would fit the bill.
Old 07 September 2013, 18:30   #3

cheers stray i was really impressed with your outfit , basically i want to travel across the bay then droip my m8 off on some rocks then do my own thing ,pick him up and bring him back ,even though through all ive been through im tough & fit i have a 3mtr sib now but i feel the need for something better ,saying that when i travel up to soth shields i will be on my own fishing alongside the yakers , i really love your set up but i feel its beyond my price ,,by the way im 60 next year lol
Old 08 September 2013, 16:16   #4

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Im in a similar situation to you Pete..same age group and money status..

I now do menial work just for pocket money and fuel money to get me to the coast. My career aspirations have long vanished in a distant past.

My dream boat is certainly not a SIB nor a RIB.

It would be a Warrior 165 if I won the lottery ..or perhaps an Orkney Strikeliner if ERNIE came up with the goods.

However..Im not dreaming my life away.. I got the Quicksilver 4.3 and 25hp engine at a good price for me. I find the 4.3 length gives me the confidence to handle far rougher water than my 12ft hardshell boat or smaller SIBS ever could. I see them or similar types come up on the net quite regular ..but I guess the engine is the gamble. Mine is great..so Im very lucky.

Today the forecast was for gusting up to 25 mph. I would not have gone out in anything smaller ..yet didn’t hesitate today . Its big enough and solid enough to make it the kind of boat layout that suits your purposes. You only have to remember not to drag the soft bottom over the beach. Mine was 8 years old when I got it but Im pretty sure it will last until I’m 70 ...I just hope I do too.

Hope you get your dream boat Pete or if not..can settle with something you are happy with.

Hey.. and I envy you ..you catch my dream Bass ..life at 60 is great :-D

Old 08 September 2013, 16:24   #5

great looking set up i am very envious ,i have a pcb air rifle up for sale (£650 ) that will give me some leverage lol
Old 08 September 2013, 16:30   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup ..get rid of the air rifle Pete.. SIBS and rifles could be a disaster together :-o

but its a good start for a decent boat shell.. the interiors can be found in skips if you dont mind a bit of DIY and paint
Old 08 September 2013, 16:49   #7

Town: South Coast
Engine: outboard
Just a thought but From a cost perspective You may find a hard boat less expensive. Sold now but in the past I had purchased a Maxcraft, trailer and outboard for £500, you may pick up an end of season bargain
Old 08 September 2013, 18:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
Just a thought but From a cost perspective You may find a hard boat less expensive. Sold now but in the past I had purchased a Maxcraft, trailer and outboard for £500, you may pick up an end of season bargain
yes thanks i thought of that ,i have had 5 trailorable boats ,but i now like the idea of just turning up where i want inflate the dinghy & offski lol ,i catch all my bass within yards of the shore ,i have no need to travel way off anymore ,a sib fits the bill perfectly , especially along the welsh shoreline ,it also eliminates the long walks involved with my secret places cheers pete
Old 10 September 2013, 13:11   #9

Town: Tralee
Make: Tornado / Zodiac 3.1
Engine: Yam F60/ Tohatsu 9.8
I use a Yam 280 sib with a 3.3hp mariner for Bass fishing. This is a very small slow rig which is only suitable for estuary fishing and moving in the same direction as the current.
I used to transport the boat in the back of my car but I soon got tired of all the packing, smell of petrol and cleaning washing out the car afterwards. So I now use a small trailer to transport boat and engine. A lot less hassle
Old 10 September 2013, 13:46   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Spotted this last night and meant to post it up - would have been a nice fishing rig - sold quick though:

2006 Quicksilver 8Man 4.3M semi inflatable RIB,boat only. Fishing, Safety, Dive | eBay