Old 20 January 2016, 08:32   #21

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
I have just purchased the Dragonfly 6 for £299.00 reduced from £660.00 with charts and transducer. Google it there are lots of offers out there right now.
Old 20 January 2016, 16:29   #22

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Here we go then, who's snapped a Dragonfly transducer yet then? I've just got mine out of the box to start installing it and I'm amazed by how pathetic and flimsy the transducer is. I reckon even if the 'kick up' bolt it left really loose the whole thing is going to snap at the neck point just before the bracket clamp before very long at all. At least with the Lowrance transducers if and when they snap that neck is semi sacrificial and doesn't contain any 'clever' bits, meaning it can be pinned and glued.
Old 20 January 2016, 17:32   #23

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Mine had the winchman from one of Culdrose's helicopters climb all over it getting into my boat over the stern & it survived that without issue.
They do seem very stiff if you try popping it up when not attached to the boat. I had the same thoughts as you but once fitted & adjusted it was a lot easier.

ETA. My transducer looks like the one in this & the cable doesn't go through the neck which I'm assuming is solid plastic:
http://themarineinstallersrant.blogs...dragonfly.html
Old 20 January 2016, 18:56   #24

My transducer isn't quite like that, it seems more slender, longer and generally flimsy. Time will tell. I've wrapped it in bubble wrap and tape whilst doing install...
Old 20 January 2016, 20:31   #25

More like this?: http://www.boemarine.com/raymarine-c...dragonfly-4-5/
That one looks like the bit that goes from the transducer to the pivot point just slots into the top of the transducer.

Any chance of a pic of yours?
Old 20 January 2016, 21:23   #26

Exactly like that!! Sorry can't do a picture, been working in the cold / darkness using a head torch lying on the concrete. I reckon its weakness is around the bolt area.

Anyway fitted it as best I could taking care to leave the tension bolt as loose as possible so it springs up at the slightest impact, will have to be extra careful with it.

Incidentally I've decided to keep my existing Lowrance Sonar unit on board too - I've installed the Dragongfly transducer on the starboard side of the transom as per instructions (when using with single conventional rotation outboard) BUT also kept the Lowrance transducer and fitted it to the port side of the transom. I will now have TWO transducers located about 450mm apart. I figured if I get interference and uselessness I can always switch off one unit and try the individual units separately.

Has anyone tried using two transducers on a rib before and does it work? I'm just keen to see if the Raymarine is any good compared to the Lowrance that I'm familiar with and for a fair trial thought it best to use them on the same day / tide / water clarity etc over a few wrecks and features I know well.

Anyway reckon I'll be headed out of Poole on Sat to test them out.. Is anyone else venturing out down here this weekend?
Old 21 January 2016, 08:35   #27

Does look a bit on the light side!
I wonder if the arm bit just clips into the transducer head meaning it would be replaceable, be worth asking Raymarine.
Didn't try mine together as I put the Df transducer where the Humminbird one was.
Found this when I was researching so might be of interest as they did:
https://www.boats.com/reviews/sonar-...ager-vs-chirp/
The comment in the article about flimsy mount refers to the DF display clipping in to the console mounting. There's a knack to it - read the instructions & the marineinstaller link above - & you don't need to force it. Be careful to get the lead plug lined up before turning the locking ring.
Old 21 January 2016, 11:20   #28

Just answered my own question. On-line fitting instructions for your transducer - CPT-DVS - shows that the transducer and the leg that attaches it to the bracket are two separate parts & the leg slots onto the top of the transducer. Assuming it would be available from RM then it would save pinning & gluing if broken & strikes me as a better idea than mine!
https://www.svb.de/media/504275/pdf/...2015-01-21.pdf Page 30
Page 31 shows how to release the transducer from the bracket.
Old 22 January 2016, 15:32   #29

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I've been weighing up either the Garmin EchoMap 45DV or one of the Raymarine ones. I think the Garmin is winning on portability and cost but being new to this I'm not really in a position to compare them beyond this.

Any thoughts on which of these is 'better' for occasional use on a SIB?
Old 22 January 2016, 16:00   #30

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I don't have experience of the Raymarine to compare but I upgraded last year from a Garmin handheld GPS to a 45DV with the DownVu transducer.

Not had it on the sea (just freshwater) yet but so far really pleased with its neat size, screen detail and menu operation. Really like the clever bracket so you can just unclip the unit from bracket/wiring in one motion when you leave the boat for a while.

Came from Barnet Marine NEW GARMIN EchoMap 45DV GPS Map Sounder Sonar Fish Finder INC Down Vu Transducer | eBay

If you phone them to buy on a card direct they will usually beat their Ebay price.

Beware if comparing other prices on the 45DV that you compare like for like... Barnet's price includes the better transducer and post but many quote with no transducer or the cheaper standard one.

Initially I screwed the base to the SIB seat but for this summer I'm making up a wooden bracket that takes the 45DV on top and has a battery box suspended under so it's all self contained and will be quick mount/dismount with straps or similar. Someone else on here (Karman?) has done this and it's a really useful setup.
Old 22 January 2016, 16:20   #31

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Hi Fenlander - yes, saw your post in the other thread a while back. I see Garmin have upgraded the 45DV to include CHIRP (whatever CHIRP is) and Barnet are now charging £60 more for the package - if one was to wish to buy the latest spec I guess.

I assume no extra maps etc. are required?

I saw some say the maps with Raymarine probably need upgrading to be of much use.
Old 22 January 2016, 17:27   #32

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The Garmin "Bluecharts" with the unit are the full detail ones for pretty well all of the UK. Yes I know the Raymarine standard ones with their unikts are basic and need upgrading to (Gold I think) match the Garmin ones.
Old 24 January 2016, 19:19   #33

Here we go, new Dragonfly Pro vs old Lowrance Elite.

- just lashed the Dragonly roughly to the console so I could do a comparison. Now I have removed the Lowrance unit and re-doing the console to fill holes properly and properly install the dragonfly.

Few niggles with the Dragonfly -

1) moulding on cable is awkward distance back from plug, basically right where I want the cable to go through the console so I'm left with a slightly too long length of cable outside of the console - worried someone might grab at this or it might snag a fishing rod or boat hook

2) seems to lose GPS signal randomly even at sea with no obstructions nearby then flashes up really annoying repetitve alarms telling me so

3) seems to lose bottom tracking randomly (this most likely means I need to mess around with fine tuning transducer position)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5025.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	110474  
Old 24 January 2016, 21:28   #34

I cabled up through the console using a cable gland a couple of inches behind the unit (mine's a 7) & have a low splashguard screen round the front of the console which keeps cables away from fingers etc.
Not had a loss of GPS, but do lose bottom track at speed on the plane - no different to previous Humminbird & I expected that as there's not a lot in the water! Low speed planing & off the plane with the boat settled down no issues. I can't put it any lower as it would be grounded at low tide.
Can't do pics as it's currently off the boat - I pike fish during the winter & use it with the fishery boats at Rutland.
Old 28 January 2016, 19:23   #35

Any idea how to get the unit to display actual gps info (long / lat) on the screen.

might be a daft question but for the brief few minutes I've had to play with it so far it hasn't been obvious to me so I've been lazy and referred to the Lowrance. Would be useful feature to enable though, if its not possible then in my opinion they shouldn't market it as a chartplotter
Old 28 January 2016, 20:08   #36

Town: Bridport
Boat name: Pic
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Outboard
I personally wouldn't have garmin if I was given 1. I have a lowrance hds 12 on the rib with a 1k airmar transducer. And on my evolution 38 raymarine c120. Both great units the lowrance is much easier to use
Old 28 January 2016, 20:12   #37

Fair comment I don't much like the Garmin's either. But my comment refers to the new Raymarine Dragonfly Pro that I have fitted.
Old 28 January 2016, 20:14   #38

Town: Bridport
Boat name: Pic
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Fair comment I don't much like the Garmin's either. But my comment refers to the new Raymarine Dragonfly Pro that I have fitted.
Every 1 I no with a dragonfly loves them think they are great value for money
Old 28 January 2016, 21:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Any idea how to get the unit to display actual gps info (long / lat) on the screen.

might be a daft question but for the brief few minutes I've had to play with it so far it hasn't been obvious to me so I've been lazy and referred to the Lowrance. Would be useful feature to enable though, if its not possible then in my opinion they shouldn't market it as a chartplotter
I'll have to suggest you look through the manual for that one. I believe the link I posted earlier covers yours: https://www.svb.de/media/504275/pdf/...2015-01-21.pdf
Old 28 January 2016, 21:48   #40

Town: Redditch
Boat name: Hydra
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: TWINS
It's in settings/ Gps info.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net