Old 08 June 2021, 20:43   #21

Town: Bradford
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik_elliott View Post
I'd say buy for the 99% use case, and grumble the few times you feel limited rather than hurting your back and finding the whole thing a hassle every time you want to go out.
That's really good advice, thank you. It's easy to try factor in everything we MIGHT want to do in a boat, but the likelihood of it being regular enough to warrant the extra cost/weight etc is a big consideration.

I would say the main use long term would be bobbing about around Flamborough Head, around the Lake District, and possibly when we go further afield like Devon or Cornwall for for checking out little coves etc.

In all those scenarios, for me, the wife, the 11 yo and the dog, a few sandwiches, MAYBE snorkel and masks, and the obligatory safety gear, I'm thinking 3.6 or 3.9, with enough engine power to nip along so laddo feels like he's in a "speedboat" maybe 15/20hp.
Old 08 June 2021, 20:57   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Ever gone out on the Humber? I'm wondering if it's worth trying.

Yup
No
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2021, 08:31   #23

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Despite receiving a few mentions re my outfit I'm distracted at the moment and late to the party but great advice already so little to add.

However I'd be on the side of those who have said be really careful re weight if carrying packed and transom wheel launching after set up.... apparently small weight differences can make a huge difference between a struggle and a pleasure. SIBs and outboards are very different compared to what you know you can deadweight lift... they combine being top heavy, slippery and bulky lifts.
Old 09 June 2021, 09:05   #24

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Despite receiving a few mentions re my outfit I'm distracted at the moment and late to the party but great advice already so little to add.

However I'd be on the side of those who have said be really careful re weight if carrying packed and transom wheel launching after set up.... apparently small weight differences can make a huge difference between a struggle and a pleasure. SIBs and outboards are very different compared to what you know you can deadweight lift... they combine being top heavy, slippery and bulky lifts.
Thanks Fenlander, been enjoying your recent posts so it's good to have your input :-)

Just working on selling this to the wife now, she's, "Just get a bigger boat, it'll be alright" - yet I know from previous experience she'd be stood there, hands on hips, tutting and asking how much longer I'm going to take getting it ready!!
Old 17 June 2021, 20:01   #25

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
As some had said. its about finding your manageable weight limit.

having has the Honwave T38 and now the Excel Volante 390 I feel that is mine (and my dads) limit. Helped mostly by our fabricated launching trolley.

We have a Excel 435, but it just stays on the trailer. 4m is the limit for hand launching.

I would like to add that I use mine for fishing and go out in rough weather where others would choose against. Just last week I was in Cornwall at Pentewan Sands. others with smaller boats didn't venture out when I would. So using that as a example you would get away with a smaller boat if you where more choosey with the weather and conditions. but I would say a minimum of 3.2/3.3 for two people.

I echo others, when I say that there is no point owning a boat you cant use. I'm even toying with the idea of getting a 3rd small tender size boat for when the outings present themselves. I blame the Donny and the Guppy for that.

it would be worth considering the Volaire 390 over the 430. if you prefer a fully integrated boat. or come further down the size to a Volante 330 or 360. but worth noting that below 390 you dont get as many grab handles. and as you go up the size range you also go up in width (this is why the weight starts to jump)

and when considering different makes and model let weight be a factor but never the decider. lower boat weights of similar size products will mean less material, from transom width, material thickness and to fittings.
Old 12 August 2021, 13:20   #26

RIBase
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd drop back in with an update. After lots of searching (there really isn't much available is there?!) and discussion with The Management, we've decided a trailer launched boat might be better for us.

she has the patience of (what is the opposite of a saint?) so set up time was important.

We're in the process of hopefully getting our hands on a 3.8m Europa rib.

If this comes off, does anyone have any bookmarked threads for newbies in terms of important kit, places to launch etc?

Will be looking at East coast around Hornsea, possibly Anglesey and anywhere else that's recommended.

Kit-wise, we're a very safety conscious family, so will do my VHF course, get flares etc.

Any other kit-lists I need to be aware of?

Cheers!
Old 12 August 2021, 22:42   #27

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
What kit do you carry on your SIB?
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/what-kit-do-you-carry-on-your-sib-42712.html

Have a good read though that. It’s pinned to the SIB section.

An anchor with enough chain and rope
A vhf
Engine spares
Suitable clothing/kill cord are sone very basic essentials
Old 13 August 2021, 08:47   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
What kit do you carry on your SIB?
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/what-kit-do-you-carry-on-your-sib-42712.html

Have a good read though that. It’s pinned to the SIB section.

An anchor with enough chain and rope
A vhf
Engine spares
Suitable clothing/kill cord are sone very basic essentials
Brilliant - thank you!
Old 13 August 2021, 09:00   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Always interesting to hear what folks decide to go with. Despite my continued liking for carry in the car SIB outfits for us no good others fighting their family situation.

Mrs F is very supportive of sibbing and usually relaxed at setup time but yesterday some work stuff troubling her from the previous day took her patience and in truth I'd have been better doing it all alone than having an edgy partner being in the way not doing the right things.

Didn't say that out loud though!
Old 13 August 2021, 17:40   #30

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Are you sure Mrs F doesn’t read this forum [emoji33]

Tags
sib